Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

Have to admit that my friend is feeling very anxious about the festival this year.

One of the worries is about taking and bringing in drugs. He's no stranger to them, but now only really takes them at festivals/new year. The security comms sent out by Glasto has made him a bit nervous.

The other thing is that he really wants to be liked by his friends. To the point where he can get a bit para and worried that they don't. As a result he tends to overcompensate a bit. He just really hopes that everyone has a good time this year as loads of his friends from different friend groups are going. 

It's really not like him to be like this over Glasto though and he's having a few bad nights sleep over it. 

He's not necessarily looking for advice, though it'd be nice to hear if anyone else gets the same way as him.

23 minutes ago, Mattty said:

The other thing is that he really wants to be liked by his friends. To the point where he can get a bit para and worried that they don't. As a result he tends to overcompensate a bit. He just really hopes that everyone has a good time this year as loads of his friends from different friend groups are going. 

It's really not like him to be like this over Glasto though and he's having a few bad nights sleep over it. 

He's not necessarily looking for advice, though it'd be nice to hear if anyone else gets the same way as him.

I have struggled with this in the past. Especially if I'm going through a low patch. I start getting paranoid that I'm not having as good as a time as I could be and start to withdraw, which causes me to worry that my behaviour or mood is affecting my friends Glasto. 

The trick Is, as with most, is to let go of your worries, relax and enjoy yourself. The problem is, it's not that easy. 

If you can spot when your friend is getting this way, just a simple word or hug can make the difference. Just let him know that he is ok, that he is loved by his friends and that he can't hold himself accountable for his friends time, only his own.

I hope this helps somewhat

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

For the first time in my adult life I am off Citalopram despite having my dosage doubled around this time last year :D:D  

I've felt a lot better this year (perhaps down to my job situation being a little better, now freelance, more control of my working patterns, no more office situations and better pay), but simple situations like going to town or busy public places can still panic me.. Strangely enough I've never really had any issues at Glastonbury which is odd considering the amount of people there is more than any other situation I've been in. The only Glastonbury situation I can recall where I felt a bit panicked was at Dolly Parton a few years back but that was just ridiculous. 

Maybe it's because we're all there for the same reason and I know there are a lot of people similar to me there.

I do hope everyone with anxiety, depression or anything else can find it in themselves to relax and enjoy Glastonbury this year, though I know it's very much easier said than done!

39 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

If you can spot when your friend is getting this way, just a simple word or hug can make the difference. Just let him know that he is ok, that he is loved by his friends and that he can't hold himself accountable for his friends time, only his own.

I hope this helps somewhat

Thanks. 

I think he's become a bit more withdrawn as the years have gone by at festivals. Maybe he's just getting older.

Hopefully other people might be able to spot my friend too. 

40 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

The trick Is, as with most, is to let go of your worries, relax and enjoy yourself. The problem is, it's not that easy. 

Definitely easier said than done, though booze helps. 

3 minutes ago, Mattty said:

I think he's become a bit more withdrawn as the years have gone by at festivals. Maybe he's just getting older.

Hopefully other people might be able to spot my friend too. 

For me, accepting that it is ok to feel low or anxious or anything negative helps. Give myself 5-10 minutes to fully wallow, to let myself go round in circles and be as negative as possible and then towards the end, just look at how ridiculous I've blown things out of proportion, that in reality, everything is fine. Accept that being depressed is an irrational feeling brought up by an imbalance of chemicals, but by that notion, being happy is an irrational feeling too. I can't choose or dictate my brain chemistry, but I can choose how I deal with it. Try and remain positive and fake it till you make it. Even if you are just acting positive without genuinely feeling it, after a while your brain won't know the difference and you can move on and enjoy yourself a little more.

That sometimes helps me.

Good morning everyone!

Hope the packing is going well and you're all looking forward to the week ahead. It's okay to be anxious, nervous, on edge. Allow yourself whatever feelings manifest over the festival and listen to what mind & body is telling you.

Don't push it down. If you need a breather, take a breather.

Look after yourself, look after each other. Keep an eye out for anyone noticeably struggling. Talk to people on their own.

I've very roughly highlighted areas of the site to head to generally head to if you need a slower pace, a more relaxed scene, somewhere to sit out your wobbles. Sorry it's so crude, I ran out of time!

Offer of a chat if needed still stands. DM me for digits.

You're off to the best place on earth, stay safe in the sun, pace yourself and above all HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME! :)

Liam xxx

2017v1map.jpg

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, admscott said:

How did everybody get on?

I had a difficult Friday. Overwhelmed. Had a little cry. Went to the Circus fields, which sorted me right out :)

Also had a troublesome friday. my girlfriend had a panic attack during radiohead. we went up to the park and watched the end of flaming lips from the hill until she felt more in control. 

then i had a really hard time trying to get out of the park after flaming lips, right in midst of the arcadia crowd decamping. i couldn't walk at one point, felt completely frozen to the spot, couldn't look anywhere but down. we eventually got out and spent an hour in green futures just wandering between stages. helped massively but i was on edge all night. 

rest of the fest was easy. we never really put ourselves in the thick of crowds, spent a lot of time in green futures. a very different experience for me but great in a different way. my first without drugs & drink. sure, i didn't go for it with complete abandon and i was much more self-conscious when dancing and talking to people - but all that did was just reaffirm how great glasto is, that there's no right way to do it. 

would go as far as to say it was my best yet. :)

• Upvote 2

Glad it went well for you guys!  I had a very odd Friday morning after getting smashed on Thursday; realised that at the moment I don't get headache or stomachache hangovers, I get bad mood hangovers.  As a result was quite mopey on Friday morning and a bit teary during Hacienda Classical, spent a chunk of the morning wondering what the hell I was doing going solo and feeling like I could quite happily go home. Spent a bit of time in Acoustic and Avalon before heading to Kate Tempest and was back on it!  Still decided not to drink for the rest of the weekend though, bar a pint of cider on Sunday afternoon and a rum & coke at the Bimble after Justice.

Spent more time than usual stopping for a quiet cup of tea here and there; the cafe in the Wood was perfect as were the 50p Tea Tent, Tiny Tea Tent and Small World Stage.  Properly chilled myself out up in the Healing Fields as well.  Really wanted to go to the Killers set on Sunday, but in the end it suited me better just to lie down at the back of the Other and listen to Haim while making cloud pictures :)

Happy times

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

Had a couple of wobbles.. Lost it at the end a bit but did it again.. 

And there inlies the other problem.. 

Wow I did it it was great but then it's over and I'm looking back thinking why the fuck was my head in a bad place for that.. Why did / does it mean that I've missed out on things why couldn't I have just been relaxed enough to enjoy that... And because of that do I want to go again.. Yes of course I do cos next time I won't let it get to me... But how do you stop it getting to you... 

I've been 18 times now and I still can't beat the anxiety.. I'd like to go to other places but it gets you once the shit......... As I call it........... Has you your fucked but I remember sitting in the lizard bar...... I'm sure that is what it's called.......... And had a sudden panic attack but I looked around at all the happy people all smiles and laughter and I thought I'm not the only one. You may not see them but there there you there and you get through it. 

But the worst thing is I feel like it went so fast and that I was so wrapped up in not losing it and trying to enjoy it unlike those who JUST enjoy it that once again I MISSED Glastonbury.. 

Any way my granddaughter wants to go now that she has been there so this is not my last Glastonbury but in 2019 IT WILL be my FIRST 

I will win 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Glad it went well for you guys!  I had a very odd Friday morning after getting smashed on Thursday; realised that at the moment I don't get headache or stomachache hangovers, I get bad mood hangovers.  As a result was quite mopey on Friday morning and a bit teary during Hacienda Classical, spent a chunk of the morning wondering what the hell I was doing going solo and feeling like I could quite happily go home. Spent a bit of time in Acoustic and Avalon before heading to Kate Tempest and was back on it!  Still decided not to drink for the rest of the weekend though, bar a pint of cider on Sunday afternoon and a rum & coke at the Bimble after Justice.

Spent more time than usual stopping for a quiet cup of tea here and there; the cafe in the Wood was perfect as were the 50p Tea Tent, Tiny Tea Tent and Small World Stage.  Properly chilled myself out up in the Healing Fields as well.  Really wanted to go to the Killers set on Sunday, but in the end it suited me better just to lie down at the back of the Other and listen to Haim while making cloud pictures :)

Happy times

Quark if you go 2019 you are more than welcome to join my crew. It's ever expanding and most of them are real piss takers (having a laugh)! It was lovely to see you this year x

13 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Had a couple of wobbles.. Lost it at the end a bit but did it again.. 

And there inlies the other problem.. 

Wow I did it it was great but then it's over and I'm looking back thinking why the fuck was my head in a bad place for that.. Why did / does it mean that I've missed out on things why couldn't I have just been relaxed enough to enjoy that... And because of that do I want to go again.. Yes of course I do cos next time I won't let it get to me... But how do you stop it getting to you... 

I've been 18 times now and I still can't beat the anxiety.. I'd like to go to other places but it gets you once the shit......... As I call it........... Has you your fucked but I remember sitting in the lizard bar...... I'm sure that is what it's called.......... And had a sudden panic attack but I looked around at all the happy people all smiles and laughter and I thought I'm not the only one. You may not see them but there there you there and you get through it. 

But the worst thing is I feel like it went so fast and that I was so wrapped up in not losing it and trying to enjoy it unlike those who JUST enjoy it that once again I MISSED Glastonbury.. 

Any way my granddaughter wants to go now that she has been there so this is not my last Glastonbury but in 2019 IT WILL be my FIRST 

I will win 

It was fabulous to finally meet you too Guy. Please don't feel you 'missed' Glastonbury, you just did it in the way you know how and to the best way you could. Everyone is different and handles it in different ways. I'm very lucky in that I don't suffer from anxiety, however my back and knees were really hurting me this year and I came home berating myself after I missed so much night time stuff due to being in pain. Tha alternative is to not go at all... and miss the stuff I was able to do!! At least I saw most of it. Massive credit to you for still going even though you know you may struggle with it. 

Hope to meet baby Ruby one day ;)

Glad this thread cropped up again! Was wanting to ask how everyone got on! 

Personally I managed to deal quite well, althougH the Wednesday was tricky. Kept having moments of thinking what I "should" be feeling, and for some reason had this idea in my head that all 200,000 people around me were completely relaxed and didn't have any stresses they were directly responsible for. It got its worst Wednesday evening when the on the hill, I just kept thinking that was no way I could imagine myself in a crowd, singing, enjoying the music - I just felt too guilty and irresponsible.

a sleep ended up doing my head a world of good, and in truth Glastonbury did too. On the Monday when home I began to notice patterns of behaviour which only ever have a negative impact on me. I have a really bad habit of comparing myself to others in ways which I didn't even realise I was doing so before being at this years fest, and can generally avoid  behaviour that will impact me. Additionally, I think it's really helped me not to be so lost in my mind - I think constantly having so much going on outward always watching and interacting with things I didn't have the space to think (in a good way!)

also, walking! I walked 25 miles in one day at Glastonbury - the rest were around 15! Coming home and seeing my health app say something meagre just makes me feel lazy - so I have set myself to walk at least 5!

just editing to add, I found mysf very aware of if I felt sick etc, it was like I was scared I was going to freak out a lot and now I look back it feels so ridiculous, which I'm annoyed about as I didn't really let myself go if that makes sense! I don't really have much of a vomit phobia or anything like that - but I think it's the moment just before. I had a bad experience with mdma in 2015 where I ended up in the medical tent (I think it was a combo of a large amount, first time, and a panic attack) and I think that has just haunted me a little - so much so that it's even crept in when I've been drinking! Crowds never bother me anxiety wise but this year they occasionally did in this way. For example we Managed to get quite close for the killers, and part of me just wanted to leave before it started becauSe I kept thinking I was going to be sick - so much so that I made myself feel sick! I think it has something to do with being short and then feeling like I just can't breathe in any fresh air! 

Sorry  for the ramble! But as has been echoed here, hope everyone managed :)

Edited by Jne___
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

It was fabulous to finally meet you too Guy. Please don't feel you 'missed' Glastonbury, you just did it in the way you know how and to the best way you could. Everyone is different and handles it in different ways. I'm very lucky in that I don't suffer from anxiety, however my back and knees were really hurting me this year and I came home berating myself after I missed so much night time stuff due to being in pain. Tha alternative is to not go at all... and miss the stuff I was able to do!! At least I saw most of it. Massive credit to you for still going even though you know you may struggle with it. 

Hope to meet baby Ruby one day ;)

Strangely enough I had just had a moment about an hour before being stalked and kidnapped by two lovely lady's lol I was literally getting the fuck out of that field lol that's why I was anxious to get going............. Not sure if you noticed............... But then we got to the loos and something got me and wife laughing.. It was the sign of the pub but it was over the urinals.......... I find pic tomo......... Anyway you lot were quite OK.... Just lol.... So we thought we'd hang 5 and give it another go and hopefully see Simon, Dee, ect as well but instead met with a few others which was nice even though we only stayed a short while it was really nice........ Can't remember who I left wife with while I got drink and also who had ginger drink thing..... 

Basically what I'm getting at is that sometimes it is a silly thing that can snap you in to the shit and then as when you grabbed me and forced me to walk 45287533356852000 miles back to where you were it can be as simple as that to snap you out of the shit lol 

Don't really know if this is the right thread to post it on really as seems quite trivial in comparison to some of your guya experiences! But as Quark mentioned previously I suffer horifically from bad mood hangovers and it was particuarly bad early afternoon on sunday. Felt extremely miserable and did not want to move, speak to the missus, felt like everything was crashing down around me and felt like i could burst into tears at any moment Seems absoultly ridiculous now and never felt like that before. Thankfully it passed after about an hour/hour and a half or so. Don't know if age played its part though. 

P.s I otherwise had an absolute blast this year B)

33 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Glad this thread cropped up again! Was wanting to ask how everyone got on! 

Personally I managed to deal quite well, althougH the Wednesday was tricky. Kept having moments of thinking what I "should" be feeling, and for some reason had this idea in my head that all 200,000 people around me were completely relaxed and didn't have any stresses they were directly responsible for. It got its worst Wednesday evening when the on the hill, I just kept thinking that was no way I could imagine myself in a crowd, singing, enjoying the music - I just felt too guilty and irresponsible.

That's the truth old son 

8 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Strangely enough I had just had a moment about an hour before being stalked and kidnapped by two lovely lady's lol I was literally getting the fuck out of that field lol that's why I was anxious to get going............. Not sure if you noticed............... But then we got to the loos and something got me and wife laughing.. It was the sign of the pub but it was over the urinals.......... I find pic tomo......... Anyway you lot were quite OK.... Just lol.... So we thought we'd hang 5 and give it another go and hopefully see Simon, Dee, ect as well but instead met with a few others which was nice even though we only stayed a short while it was really nice........ Can't remember who I left wife with while I got drink and also who had ginger drink thing..... 

Basically what I'm getting at is that sometimes it is a silly thing that can snap you in to the shit and then as when you grabbed me and forced me to walk 45287533356852000 miles back to where you were it can be as simple as that to snap you out of the shit lol 

Oh no Old Son, I didn't realise you'd just had a moment... I'm sorry I grabbed you but I was so excited to meet you and the lovely Mr Guy. I'm pleased it wasn't too bad for you as I know how you struggle at 'meets'. The ginger stuff was @mr gumby! Fabulous drink. 

Edited by Curlygirl

Just now, Curlygirl said:

Oh no Old Son, I didn't realise you'd just had a moment... I'm sorry I grabbed you but I was so excited to meet you and the lovely Mr Guy. I'm pleased it wasn't too bad for you as I know how you struggle at 'meets'. The ginger stuff was @mr gumby! Fabulous drink. 

Naa it was a great thing honestly I think it was a definite Glastonbury moment for me and wife. 

How would you have known.. That's my point.. We all look OK but who knows what is going on in the head.. 

If I could be grabbed by two girls at every festival I'd live in a field 6 months of the year lol 

1 minute ago, guypjfreak said:

Naa it was a great thing honestly I think it was a definite Glastonbury moment for me and wife. 

How would you have known.. That's my point.. We all look OK but who knows what is going on in the head.. 

If I could be grabbed by two girls at every festival I'd live in a field 6 months of the year lol 

That's a good point you make there... mental illness is a hidden illness. No one should assume what another is thinking just by perceptions. I'm very pleased I got to meet you Guy, and in 2019 I'm going to stalk your mates camp for an impromptu hi/hug. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

That's a good point you make there... mental illness is a hidden illness. No one should assume what another is thinking just by perceptions. I'm very pleased I got to meet you Guy, and in 2019 I'm going to stalk your mates camp for an impromptu hi/hug. 

No worries your more than welcome.. After all it'll be my first Glastonbury so will be nice to meet up 

11 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Quark if you go 2019 you are more than welcome to join my crew. It's ever expanding and most of them are real piss takers (having a laugh)! It was lovely to see you this year x

Thanks CG.  It's likely that next time I go my regular crew will be back in the game, but it wasn't really the solo that was the problem.  I've just come out of the back end of a rotten couple of months at work so it probably came about a month too early for me in that respect!  Really enjoyed the freedom of going solo, but didn't have the people to bounce off so much.  Pretty much as I predicted before I went, I'll do more but laugh less :)

10 hours ago, Tyonks said:

Don't really know if this is the right thread to post it on really as seems quite trivial in comparison to some of your guya experiences! But as Quark mentioned previously I suffer horifically from bad mood hangovers and it was particuarly bad early afternoon on sunday. Felt extremely miserable and did not want to move, speak to the missus, felt like everything was crashing down around me and felt like i could burst into tears at any moment Seems absoultly ridiculous now and never felt like that before. Thankfully it passed after about an hour/hour and a half or so. Don't know if age played its part though. 

Mood hangovers are a pain in the arse.  You can battle through a normal hangover with a bit of a laugh, but the mood ones are a fucker to shift. Sympathies!

Trivial is all relative.  Just because the guy next to you in A&E is having a heart attack it doesn't stop your broken toe from hurting!

• Upvote 1