Underground Piano Bar...

Deadendfriends8

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I ever found it, it was in Dragon Field.  Dunno if it's there every year or moves around.

There was some weird play about a time travelling cyclist in the Tour De France on when I was in there.  There's no microphones, so everyone had to be quiet.  It was all just a bit too odd to be honest.

Seems to be one of them places that's never as good as its made out to be. I still wanna go though. Saying that, after all these years of meaning to go to the Rabbit Hole, I still haven't. I see the queue and think fuck that

Edited by Deadendfriends8

Went in 09 or 10 I think, no queues then. Was a load of lads who worked in the Kidz field fucked up telling faux horror stories and forcing people to get up to dance to rubbish music being played on spoons and the like.

Left quickly and haven't been back. 

Don't queue for anything at the festival, ever. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Went in 09 or 10 I think, no queues then. Was a load of lads who worked in the Kidz field fucked up telling faux horror stories and forcing people to get up to dance to rubbish music being played on spoons and the like.

Left quickly and haven't been back. 

Don't queue for anything at the festival, ever

Unless its for a poo

I worked security behind the Piano bar in 2015 and met all the guys who build it. They're a lovely, if a little unreliable bunch and didn't get it finished till the Saturday that year, so I wouldn't go searching too early in your festival.

Once it is open there's usually a queue to get in, even late into the night as it only holds around 80 people. Luckily in 2015 I got to jump the queue, so I'm not sure how long the wait would be... Still it's pretty cool once you're in there.

It's like being transported back to the middle ages, to some sort of strange 1200's talent show. Once you're in you can stay as long as you like, and sign up to join the show if you want. Each act as a few minutes to play/do something, then the crowd cheers if they like them and they are rewarded with a knowledge of a job well done. Some on the acts are really something, some are drunk people falling over, but overall it's great fun!

Hope this helps.

Is this the place mentioned in another topic where everybody was moaning about the organisers there being really obnoxious and aggressive? Or am I getting confused?

EDIT: Couldn't have posted that at a worst time given the nice post above mine :lol:

Edited by EamerRed

Been in a couple of times before it became less of a secret and the queues started. It was okay for an hour then got a bit bored and left. It's an interesting enough place but really not worth the huge hype that it gets these days.

2 hours ago, Steele said:

I worked security behind the Piano bar in 2015 and met all the guys who build it. They're a lovely, if a little unreliable bunch and didn't get it finished till the Saturday that year, so I wouldn't go searching too early in your festival.

Once it is open there's usually a queue to get in, even late into the night as it only holds around 80 people. Luckily in 2015 I got to jump the queue, so I'm not sure how long the wait would be... Still it's pretty cool once you're in there.

It's like being transported back to the middle ages, to some sort of strange 1200's talent show. Once you're in you can stay as long as you like, and sign up to join the show if you want. Each act as a few minutes to play/do something, then the crowd cheers if they like them and they are rewarded with a knowledge of a job well done. Some on the acts are really something, some are drunk people falling over, but overall it's great fun!

Hope this helps.

is there actually a piano in there?

Been in a few times and it's never really held my attention - acts I've glimpsed are as described above, bizarre (in a non-interesting way) and amateurish.  Queues seem longer every year, it's kind of a cool space that they've dug into the ground, but so many other places to wander of an evening now...

4 hours ago, ihopenot said:

if i remember you have to go in climbing a rope through a concrete drain pipe and the bar only sells cider and moonshine and/or buckfast

The barman in there made me a really f*cking spicy bloody mary a couple of years ago. He asked us what we wanted and we couldn't see anything so we asked what they had. His reply was "whatever you want"

Its been at the top of Dragon field for quite a few years now, it probably needs to move/hide again or change in some way to keep some of the initial mystique it had when it started (because I could never find it) When I did find it then there used to be queues to get in late at night. Managed to get in during the day one year. It was quite a nice structure (wasn't there an upstairs as well?)  but there wasn't really much going on, and most people were absolutely fucked up, so we left after a few minutes. Not really a place I would head to again, I love the secret places/venues a lot, there used to be (still are?) loads in the SE corner, but I do think they need to move/change after a few years to keep the mystique

Its worth checking out if you can get in quite quickly, its not worth queuing up for more than 20 minutes, and if you do get inside its definitely worth leaving after 30 minutes to an hour.

There's much better things going on around the site and definitely much nicer people to spend your time with.

I remember exploring for this with 2 friends in 2014. On the Thursday we found what we thought to be the entrance (it was) but it wasn't finished. I was greeted by some Irish guys - still not sure if they were drunk or just had a really strong accent - who kept proclaiming they had no idea what we meant by "secret piano bar". Wandered off fairly confused from that.

Went back on the Saturday night there was a massive queue.

I tell this story and nobody believes me: We had been in the queue about 20 minutes when one of my mates told me to go in one of the portaloos just outside the entrance as "he had seen 3 girls go in and not come out". Definitely thought he was on the wind up but I had enough alcohol in me to give it a go. Opened the door and went in to a woman putting her fingers to her lips and saying "Shhhh, welcome to the secret piano bar". I had a quick look in/wander and then went back out to try and subtly tell my mates but as I came out slipped on my arse as the toilets are on a hill and it had been raining. Caked head to toe in mud :D Went back to my mates and told them the situation. As we went to head in the "secret entrance" there were people locking the doors and saying "Nobody is allowed in this way". So not sure if it's just that the secret got out or it was meant to be an exit, no idea. 

Queued to get back in with my mates and when we got in there were the same Irish guys I had seen on the Thursday on the stage singing Irish songs - DEFINITELY drunk this time!

Very weird place, probably not worth the queue.

NOTE: I take no responsibility if people open portaloo doors on you whilst using the toilet, looking for a secret entrance :ph34r: