"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

Just now, kingbadger said:

Radiohead were booked in advance of last year's festival at the latest, given Neil was told end of 2015/2016 that Radiohead were signed on, though it was thought at the time to have been for the 2016 festival given the timing of the info,  not 2017.

Oh. Well that's my Radiohead based theory crushed :(

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

It won't be the set list of an existing booking. A 'really big' secret speaks to me of an international star, probably a woman to balance things out, and that could be Beyonce (joining Solange?), Swifty (joining Sheeran?), possibly Madonna?

Difficult to know where to place them, though.

Imagine Beyoncé will be on maternity leave by then (international superstars still do that, right?)

otherwise the others could be good shouts 

First thing that sprung to mind when I read it was a bigger-than-usual Other opener. We're still no closer it seems to identifying who that is (with the Manics now looking unlikely), I'd imagine EE would consider it a big deal if they had someone pretty big in there.

Might also explain the Hacienda Classical placement. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

I reckon it's gonna be to do with the Legend slot - maybe this disco extravaganza that was brought up is actually a goer and they've got a host of guests to go alongside Gibb.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

First thing that sprung to mind when I read it was a bigger-than-usual Other opener. We're still no closer it seems to identifying who that is (with the Manics now looking unlikely), I'd imagine EE would consider it a big deal if they had someone pretty big in there.

Might also explain the Hacienda Classical placement. 

Although Elbow doing this would surely be considered a big secret that would go over well by many, so maybe that also.

maybe it's an act who've not headlined before who could be seen as a potential future headliner being given this kind of publicity to hype up their slot as a kind of audition for the future? I'm not sure who would fit that description though 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I reckon it's gonna be to do with the Legend slot - maybe this disco extravaganza that was brought up is actually a goer and they've got a host of guests to go alongside Gibb.

Although Elbow doing this would surely be considered a big secret that would go over well by many, so maybe that also.

Yup, Elbow is my shout. We might not consider it a big deal but for the masses it would be, a 2014 Pyramid sub playing Other at 11am. Or they could be sticking them on the Park against Radiohead? Would mean having a major act headlining the Park but being against Radiohead would keep the crowd down significantly enough to make it feasible.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

She's got a gig that night, but all it would take is a helicopter hire for them to be able to deploy Celine Dion is a guest vocalist for Bazza.  They've teamed up already this year back in January.

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

I'd say yes, christine and Lindsey are touring in the states

Wishful thinking then on my part :(

Phil Collins seems legit. But he's been rumoured for a while, and I wonder if this being such a bit secret would preclude him as an option. It's gotta be someone we haven't discussed at length on these boards surely?

Oh the suspense.

1 minute ago, cidersidney said:

Phil Collins is doing the rounds about the same time...Hyde Park for eg

the return of genesis

Didn't he say he wanted to play before but he couldn't as he wasn't well enough, or something?

presumably he's well enough now if he's playing other shows 

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Led Zep reunion! *

* never gonna happen

Don't you dare. There's been rumours about a reunion (although I'm sure there is every year) 
I gave up my ticket, I would weep if they played.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, splinterbungee said:

Whether you think its exciting enough is a matter of opinion but The Maccabees last ever festival show on Sunday night.

That would be where my money would go on one of them she is talking about

Nah, although it'd be special for some I think if this was revealed as the 'big secret' it'd be met with a giant 'oh right...' from most people.

1 minute ago, splinterbungee said:

Whether you think its exciting enough is a matter of opinion but The Maccabees last ever festival show on Sunday night.

That would be where my money would go on one of them she is talking about

I don't mind the Maccabees but I don't think they could ever be considered a big deal, no matter the circumstances 

1 minute ago, EamerRed said:

So the main ones people seem to be listing...

Madonna
Green Day
The Stone Roses
Lady Gaga
Robbie Williams
Fleetwood Mac
Led Zeppelin
Gorillaz
Phil Collins

I'm guessing we can cross off Fleetwood Mac?

I don't think we can put faith in any of them appearing just because people keep mentioning - it's all wishful thinking. Cross off Madonna, Stone Roses, Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin 'cause there's no way any of those are happening, and probably very little chance of most of the others as well.