"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

If you don't think Arctic Monkeys in a non-headline slot would qualify as a huge surprise I fear you've set your expectations way too high.

It won't be them anyway.

My expectations are through the roof, I've been dragged into glasto hype :P 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Aren't Arctic Monkeys too big for a secret set? It'd be fucking chaos.

I don't think this is a secret set as such. It's just something that is a secret at the moment. I think it's getting announced before the festival, probably on the full poster

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It definitely isn't gonna be Arctic Monkeys anyway as they're off recording a new album, but there's no reason to think this is gonna be a 'secret set' as such. What with Emily having announced it's existence to the BBC I think it's more likely that this'll be an announced set somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I suppose after they did Radiohead and Pulp in 2011 (think it was) you could argue anyone could technically turn up and do a secret set but it was dangerously packed at the Park that year. I ended up watching Radiohead from the back hill near the sign because it was just too uncomfortable 

27 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I suppose after they did Radiohead and Pulp in 2011 (think it was) you could argue anyone could technically turn up and do a secret set but it was dangerously packed at the Park that year. I ended up watching Radiohead from the back hill near the sign because it was just too uncomfortable 

Yeah they've said it won't happen again for that exact reason.

4 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Yeah they've said it won't happen again for that exact reason.

They have in past years but she's mentioned secret sets up there this year with it being the 10th anniversary. Can't imagine it will be anyone that size though

Just now, mufcok said:

They have in past years but she's mentioned secret sets up there this year with it being the 10th anniversary. Can't imagine it will be anyone that size though

Yeah there must be something in place for the Park. Maybe secret bigger than usual headline sets to ease the crowds pouring in? Only way I can see it not being a repeat of 2011 tbh - I'm sure people would be less ready to risk missing a headliner than acts earlier in the day.

1 hour ago, Roger1 said:

Is 2018 not being a fallow year anymore a possibility? 

That would count as huge news

I can see that happening. There are a huge number of companies local to the area that take a huge financial hit when the festival isn't on and Emily is an events promoter not a farmer so I'm sure she'd be happy with it.

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I can see that happening. There are a huge number of companies local to the area that take a huge financial hit when the festival isn't on and Emily is an events promoter not a farmer so I'm sure she'd be happy with it.

I thought taking a fallow year every five or so years was a condition of the licence?

“We can also confirm that we will be taking our next fallow year in 2018, in order to give the farm, the village and the festival team the traditional year off. There are no plans to hold an event at another location in 2018.”

As for the surprise - my wife reckons it's the hologram of Michael Jackson joining The Jacksons on the anniversary of his death. She has nothing to substantiate this

7 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

As for the surprise - my wife reckons it's the hologram of Michael Jackson joining The Jacksons on the anniversary of his death. She has nothing to substantiate this

If all of the nonsense chat re: holograms turns out to be true, I think this forum would implode.