"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

3 hours ago, billum said:

The fact that he's tweeting the pic of the Pyramid surely suggests there might be a clue in it somewhere. Wasn't there some odd activity with that wooden structure with walkways or something coming out of the front of the Pyramid stage that was spotted on the webcam this week, and a large black rectangle that could have been a screen?

I was down the farm on Saturday and nothing seemed particularly unusual down there. 

(Should add that someone did eventually ask us, very very politely, to leave. Had been fine a aouple of weeks back so it does look like it is now gearing up for the big push)

Edited by strummer77
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having skim read this thread (so I might be repeating others here), I'm now convinced that whatever this is, it's not going to be a scheduled act doing a full set. There's not really anyone out there that makes sense with the wording, and the lineup is already looking packed when it comes to relatively high profile slots.

I'm thinking the most likely scenario a special guest speaker or figure - like the Dalai Lama a couple of years ago, which would have been an incredible surprise if it hadn't leaked so far in advance. Even on the day itself the Festival were to keep his exact schedule secret though admittedly that was probably a security focused decision. It doesn't even need to be anyone nearly as high profile as that to qualify - while it won't excite anyone as much as a Led Zep reunion, a visit by Al Gore to talk about climate change or Kofi Annan talking human rights would still be a big deal for the Festival. Or if it must be a household name, someone mentioned Barack Obama on this thread before - I'm not sure that's realistic, but Michelle Obama is a lot more popular, probably easier to get, and has started to break cover recently.

If I'm way off and we are talking music, then my other guess would be a one time only deal - specifically one of Nile Rodgers collaborators turning up to play with Chic - obviously that's a long list with some major names on it. Or are there any other acts on the bill where something similar would make sense?

For me, the timing makes a huge difference in perception of this. An easy example would be The Libertines playing a couple years ago - because they managed to hold the secret until about 8 hours before stage time (and reportedly many in the crowd didn't know until their banner went up), it can be legitimately described as a "big surprise" - if it had leaked out about a week earlier, people would have had time to analyse it to death and the reaction would have been a lot more muted.

8 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

So a "huge" secret has apparently been kept completely silent for six months, a few days after admitting so, a sound engineer knows? 

He was interviewing ME apparently. Said so days before, then after interview tweeted about the 'huge' secret and the on site pic. 

9 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

He was interviewing ME apparently. Said so days before, then after interview tweeted about the 'huge' secret and the on site pic. 

So that would lead us to believe it must be imminent no? If interviews are being given and information provided so some random dude is in the know. 

Fuck this thread. I need to sleep. 

4 hours ago, billum said:

Nah, if it was with their kids they'd do Here Comes The Son

Maybe it's @guypjfreak doing 'Here Comes The Old Son!

4 hours ago, mf_2005 said:

I am absolutely at the point where I just want all the information available now. All the speculating and rumours are fun for a while but now it's just fatiguing.

Fatiguing? 

Pah! You want to spend a week on the resale thread. Fatiguing indeed.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

So that would lead us to believe it must be imminent no? If interviews are being given and information provided so some random dude is in the know. 

Fuck this thread. I need to sleep. 

Yeah I can't see everyone in the know not leaking 'it' to a loved one or three now that the world knows that 'it' exists. 

It's new, extra compost Loos all over the site. That would be big enough for me. 

3 hours ago, sheerin_lfc said:

I left this page 4 days ago to go and see The Cribs and some friends and the outside world for the first time in a while... and now we're at holograms.

Never change eFestivals.

Fucking hell thats some set by The Cribs.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Maybe it's @guypjfreak doing 'Here Comes The Old Son!

Fatiguing? 

Pah! You want to spend a week on the resale thread. Fatiguing indeed.

Yeh, I have no idea how you guys are coping with both. This thread alone is driving me as mad as a sack of badgers. I hope it pays off for you!

1 hour ago, incident said:

Having skim read this thread (so I might be repeating others here), I'm now convinced that whatever this is, it's not going to be a scheduled act doing a full set. There's not really anyone out there that makes sense with the wording, and the lineup is already looking packed when it comes to relatively high profile slots.

I'm thinking the most likely scenario a special guest speaker or figure - like the Dalai Lama a couple of years ago, which would have been an incredible surprise if it hadn't leaked so far in advance. Even on the day itself the Festival were to keep his exact schedule secret though admittedly that was probably a security focused decision. It doesn't even need to be anyone nearly as high profile as that to qualify - while it won't excite anyone as much as a Led Zep reunion, a visit by Al Gore to talk about climate change or Kofi Annan talking human rights would still be a big deal for the Festival. Or if it must be a household name, someone mentioned Barack Obama on this thread before - I'm not sure that's realistic, but Michelle Obama is a lot more popular, probably easier to get, and has started to break cover recently.

If I'm way off and we are talking music, then my other guess would be a one time only deal - specifically one of Nile Rodgers collaborators turning up to play with Chic - obviously that's a long list with some major names on it. Or are there any other acts on the bill where something similar would make sense

What a well reasoned post! Are u sure ur in the right place?

In all seriousness, I'd love it to be Michelle Obama!!!!!

I think ur right too...it could well be the timing that makes the surprise big, rather than the content. Having said that, mateyboys tweet about it being HUGE is swaying me to think it must actually be someone big in terms of fame. If its an act, a  big legend would fit, if not, Michelle Obama 2017 :wub:

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Franky said:

Sorry I am still trying to come to terms with that fact that Shakespeare's Sister headlined Glastonbury lol :suicide:

I went to Siobhan Fahey's house once many moons ago now. It was, and possibly still is, a fuck off and die house in London. We'd gone there (my ex, who used to be in a band that also played at Glastonbury, and her music producer mate). Anyway, I got nicely nicely drunk on the train down from Birmingham to London. When I eventually got to the house it was to notice a load of sycophants fawning over her. To say that she was acting like a diva would be the understatement of the year. Anyway, while there I proceeded to take more and more alcohol on board, to the point where I needed a piss. I politely asked someone where the toilet was and they said there's one down the hallway at the end. So, I walked down the hallway to the end and found that the door was shut. After waiting some considerable time I decided to knock on the door to check that someone was really in there, as I had suspected (what with the door being shut and all that). There was no response, so I knocked again and still no response. So, I tried to push and pull the door, to no effect. To cut a long story short I was found with one of my feet against the wall trying like fuck to pull this door open. The person that found me was horrified to see what was happening and told me that it was a sliding door. And it was indeed a sliding door. I'd been pulling and pushing on the fucker like a mad man, when I should have just slid the door open.

As an aside, we went to a night club (can't remember which one) where she was due to sing that night. We were ushered past the queues, and straight upstairs and in to the VIP lounge. While there, some bloke came up to our group and asked us if we were OK for e's. I said that I wasn't and he gave me a couple. For free. I'm not sure if the bar was free as well. Doesn't matter, I ended up on the dance floor dancing like a man with Parkinsons doing his best John Travolta impression. 

Anyway, during the proceedings the music stopped and Siobhan Fahey sang a few songs. Almost straight after she got off stage she came up to me, like a scared insecure person, asking me what I thought of her performance. With all the gifts that a fine education and a life spent in Birmingham could provide I said something along the lines of ' Yes, it was alright that was'. She then turned abruptly and kind of stormed off. I'm not sure what she was expecting me to say, but it evidently wasn't what she had hoped for.

• Upvote 4

Would be about as impressed with obama as i would if trump himself showed up. People tend to forget that rather then the liberal icon hes made out to be that man is actually responsible for more deaths overseas then even bush was via his drone strikes etc! 

Or though maybe they could have lowkey battle him? Barack would become barracked :P

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Franky said:

Well fuck me sideways ! I fucking love that song but what the fuck else did they play for 90 mins ! 

Just looked at the lineup for 92' not a good year :( 

Didn't watch them so no idea but it was a cracking year. Red hot, lots of freaky stuff going on all over site and Carter USM had the plug pulled about 1am!

8 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Arcade Fire playing Sc**thorpe two and a half weeks before, and knowing how lost you can get around there, they should find their way out just in time for Glastonbury.

Oh if only!! They have a reputation for being a bit primadonna surely they wouldnt do anything other than a main headline slot. 

We can wish though! :)