"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

I'm going to go for a bit of a different stab in the dark at least: Eric Prydz

He's about the right size for me (big enough to be a big name but not trump any of the headliners so could still fit on the bill) and has space in the diary between Spain dates. Not sure what 6 months relevance would be, or that it'd be as huge as many people are making it out to be though.

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'm going to go for a bit of a different stab in the dark at least: Eric Prydz

He's about the right size for me (big enough to be a big name but not trump any of the headliners so could still fit on the bill) and has space in the diary between Spain dates. Not sure what 6 months relevance would be, or that it'd be as huge as many people are making it out to be though.

This is an interesting one, 6 months ago being October / November was when his date for Cream Presents: Steelyard (London - 27th May) went on sale and sold out within about an hour.

That said, if you look hard enough you'll find 6 month coincidences for all sorts of people!

4 minutes ago, liamium said:

Gaga or Gorillaz really. especially the latter given their 4 gigs in europe during the week before G

Yeah you're right. Add them to Bon Iver as the most likely and biggest possible surprises. Gaga probably the likeliest given previous rumours.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah you're right. Add them to Bon Iver as the most likely and biggest possible surprises. Gaga probably the likeliest given previous rumours.

Was going to say Bon Iver is playing US on the saturday. But that date is July not June. 

Had a Bon NOiver pun and everything!

Never mind. Keep the dream alive. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMF said:

Everyone is assuming that it is musical, I think if the General election goes as forecast they will hold a referendum on the Thursday night with the aim of making the site an independent nation by the Sunday and everyone on site will be issued with a passport #GlastoIndyRef1

Will it be a blue passport though?

• Upvote 1

Yup, I think some folk on here are making the mistake of equating what would be a big surprise on here to what would be a big surprise to everybody else. It's far more likely to be someone like Elbow, Gorillaz, Bon Iver or potentially even Gaga than the likes of Floyd, Daft Punk or Led Zeppelin. 

The only reason it wouldn't feel like as much of a surprise to us is that we compelety over-analyse the possibility of every single realistic act playing, so we've had lots of conversations about the first lot of acts I mentioned. To your average punter* they'd qualify as a "big suprise". 

*it's going to get NGHFB innit? 

6 hours ago, EamerRed said:

The band are hanging by a thread and by all accounts the gigs this summer are probably the last ever. I think this is unlikely, as every rumour suggests the band have fallen to pieces (again).

and tickets for the stadium gigs are not going that well.  Discount tickets starting to show now.

ta, D

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

This is thread is going to catch up with the "next announcement" thread soon :) 

The press announcement that 6 music got has an embargo that states that the secret will be announced when the dedicated thread on the Efestivals reaches 100 pages or was it 1000.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mattty said:

I'd argue that to a typical Glasto ticket holder (probably not an efests user), Liam Gallagher/Ashcroft/Bon Iver/Elbow would be the biggest announcement since the first poster. 

It'd be underwhelming to us though

If its an act it has to be something headliner status to qualify as a big secret.  Elbow as an example are almost nailed on to be playing, and if any of those ended up in the final released lineup none of us would be shocked.

Gorillaz or Gaga are good shouts i think.  One would wonder if gorillaz would do another last minute announcement show after the last one though (even though im in a minority who enjoyed it).

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Does the festival's license allow for a Pyramid performer on the thursday? I doubt it.

We'd know if it was that through people scrutinising the local planning applications.  I'd suggest more likely double headliner/big sub headliner on a certain day or something.

Them turning the webcam off is interesting though.   Either they are doing another radiohead-style announcement, or building a new area.  Anyone been to site today?

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yup, I think some folk on here are making the mistake of equating what would be a big surprise on here to what would be a big surprise to everybody else. It's far more likely to be someone like Elbow, Gorillaz, Bon Iver or potentially even Gaga than the likes of Floyd, Daft Punk or Led Zeppelin. 

The only reason it wouldn't feel like as much of a surprise to us is that we compelety over-analyse the possibility of every single realistic act playing, so we've had lots of conversations about the first lot of acts I mentioned. To your average punter* they'd qualify as a "big suprise". 

I agree it's never going to be a Floyd, Zep etc. Beyond that though I think anything is possible. I remember the rumours about the Libertines slot in 2015 and some people suggesting it might by Elbow. My rationale for it not being them was that the festival wouldn't bother making them a suprise, as they would know it would underwhelm most people. For Emily to say it's a "big secret" to me means it will be a pretty big name.

1 hour ago, carrie2 said:

:o How does one go about arranging this?! 

never asked, but i think he contacted hsi agent, they all charge fees for doing what ever . opening a supermarket , going on a tv show. getting a  free lunch and getting paid for it winning

My bet is that it's Harry Styles performing somewhere. He's undeniably huge on the back of his One Direction days, yet has such a limited solo portfolio that he wouldn't command a prestigious slot.

His debut album has already leaked, so I'm guessing it's released soon. It's also been hugely anticipated, with papers comparing his last single to Bowie etc. His new music is far more in-line with classic pop rock and is clearly heavily influenced by artists from the past, many of whom have played Worthy Farm.

Playing Glasto would also give him authenticity as a serious artist and a prime TV slot.

It just seems to make sense.

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's going to something similar to Tame Impala last year in terms of size. It's not going to be Richard Ashcroft, but it's also not going to be Fleetwood Mac.

Noel is a good shout.

Just now, carrie2 said:

The likes of Gaga/Gorillaz/Elbow... would the festival have any real reason to keep them secret for 6 months? Other than for the sake of saying "we've kept them secret for 6 months!" 

Kept Pulp and Radiohead "secret" before.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Kept Pulp and Radiohead "secret" before.

That's different though. They weren't announced and played secret sets. This 'big surprise' sounds like it's going be announced.

Was there a reason Tame Impala were held back last year? If not, then perhaps they just like the idea of keeping something up their sleeve?

Edited by jparx

3 minutes ago, carrie2 said:

The likes of Gaga/Gorillaz/Elbow... would the festival have any real reason to keep them secret for 6 months? Other than for the sake of saying "we've kept them secret for 6 months!" 

at the behest of the act maybe or to coincide with album releases, tour sales in the case of Gorillaz? i agree it's a bit of a weird one tho

Edited by liamium