The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building on the work started by @alibear, and in order to avoid some household jobs, I had a look further back at the rainfall in the build up to festivals to see what happened in previous years. 

I've taken this data from This chap - which is based in Bath, and generally seems to run a little lower than the weather station in Yeovil (I didn't use Yeovil, as it only goes back 3 years (from what I can find)). 

Answers on a postcard - generally it backs up that a drier lead up means the ground recovers faster over the festival week - but even a quiet Jan-May can be undone quickly with a soggy June. 

GFL Rain Table.png

GFLRF.png

8 minutes ago, Titters said:

Building on the work started by @alibear, and in order to avoid some household jobs, I had a look further back at the rainfall in the build up to festivals to see what happened in previous years. 

I've taken this data from This chap - which is based in Bath, and generally seems to run a little lower than the weather station in Yeovil (I didn't use Yeovil, as it only goes back 3 years (from what I can find)). 

Answers on a postcard - generally it backs up that a drier lead up means the ground recovers faster over the festival week - but even a quiet Jan-May can be undone quickly with a soggy June. 

GFL Rain Table.png

GFLRF.png

Sterling work there. The two years with the highest rainfall after April were both fine on arrival. Yes, despite entering festival lore as the worst weather evs, 2007 was actually lovely on arrival. I was sat on the grass quite happily before the rains came.

I suppose 2008 did fall apart pretty rapidly, but didn't it get better again in a day or two?

Any chance of doing the chart again only including rainfall from May onwards? And if it's easy, one for just rain in June?

I love me a bit of weather stats. In fact all Glastonbury stats are up my street.

Indeed mr hats, totally at odds with my recollection (although my memory is notoriously poor).

4 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Maybe they improved the drainage ?? 

This is true, I recall that much was made of this at the time.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Any chance of doing the chart again only including rainfall from May onwards? And if it's easy, one for just rain in June?

I love me a bit of weather stats. In fact all Glastonbury stats are up my street.

Yep,will do so when the laptop is back out. 

And I have photos from the Wednesday 2007, sat on the green grass, BBQ smoking away...

6 minutes ago, alibear said:

Does anyone know whether a lot of rain hit the farm last night/this morning? We had about an hour on and off in London and a friend in plymouth said they got a pretty monumental storm...

Thunder and Lightning and a right Monsoon here in Bath overnight. I imagine pretty much the same in Pilton 

4 hours ago, Titters said:

GFL Rain Table.png

GFLRF.png

Thanks for the graphs, I like graphs.

I'm actually amazed that the rainfall during 2016 was so high, my recollection was that it didn't really rain that much, Sunday sticks in the mind, but I recall that as a constant drizzle more than rain, possibly it was the timing of the rain and I wasn't out and about?

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'm actually amazed that the rainfall during 2016 was so high, my recollection was that it didn't really rain that much, Sunday sticks in the mind, but I recall that as a constant drizzle more than rain, possibly it was the timing of the rain and I wasn't out and about?

If I remember correctly, the rain came down quite heavily Saturday morning.

38 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

If I remember correctly, the rain came down quite heavily Saturday morning.

Just before 7am on Saturday morning I was heading back from the Stone Circle after leaving the SEC.

It hammered it down for about 30-45 minutes. Brief, but Biblical.

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Just before 7am on Saturday morning I was heading back from the Stone Circle after leaving the SEC.

It hammered it down for about 30-45 minutes. Brief, but Biblical.

Ben

And I was just awaking :sorry:

43 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What amazed me is the difference between 2014 and 2011.

In 2014 we had that torrential rain that closed the stages, but that only lasted about an hour. I don't really remember too much other rain during the rest of the festival. Despite the downpour the ground held up pretty well. In 2011 the ground was hard work until the Sunday, by which time it had dried up. That was with half the rain  during the festival compared to 2014, and less in both May and June.

I can't remember what it was like in the immediate run up to the festival in those years, but the ground conditions were like night and day. 2011 wasn't very pleasant but I thought 2014 was fine.

1 hour ago, musky said:

I can't remember what it was like in the immediate run up to the festival in those years, but the ground conditions were like night and day. 2011 wasn't very pleasant but I thought 2014 was fine.

2011 was a bit soggy in the week before the festival, but we had some really heavy rain for a couple of hours just as the gates opened, and made the paths a pain to navigate. 

It also rained on and off on the Friday. I remember Mumfords and Vaccines on other being rainy, and particularly so during the headliners. 

Don't remember much rain after that, and Sunday was scorchio, sat on the floor. 

Seemed to have the lot! 

1 hour ago, musky said:

What amazed me is the difference between 2014 and 2011.

In 2014 we had that torrential rain that closed the stages, but that only lasted about an hour. I don't really remember too much other rain during the rest of the festival. Despite the downpour the ground held up pretty well. In 2011 the ground was hard work until the Sunday, by which time it had dried up. That was with half the rain  during the festival compared to 2014, and less in both May and June.

Didn't it rain most of Thursday afternoon in 2014?  I seem to remember spending most of it holed up in the Kasbah!

It had definitely pissed down the week before in 2011. No one could get into the campervan fields, everyone had to be towed in by a tractor.

We put "Out Of Control" on full blast in our van as we were towed in with the back end sliding left and right. People watching on were amused.