The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I have a phobia with frogs, and my lovely cat finds them and brings them home live. Why he can't catch a mouse like a normal cat I don't know.

My cat tied that once. The frog made the most horrendous screeching noise and the cat ran inside foaming at the mouth. Lesson learned. 

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My cat tied that once. The frog made the most horrendous screeching noise and the cat ran inside foaming at the mouth. Lesson learned. 

The first he brought home was sat in his water bowl in the conservatory, came in through cat flap. No idea if the cat placed him there or the frog made his own way.

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

One of the wettest starts to a year for years. 

Oh wait - was it last year when they started naming all the storms?  It was certainly the wettest siince 2014, both pretty terrible now that you've jogged my poor memory.

the walk from parking to tent last year was an absolute nightmare. I imagine for new people they wondered what they had let themselves in for. 

I have a memory of being so happy to see an ice cream van so i could get some water. Then they charged me like £25 for a bottle of water but i was so desperate i paid it happily.

...So I was bored the other night and decided to look up the rainfall for last year and this year and compare. This data is from Yeovil weather station, so obviously the farm will be different, but it's a decent guide. It looks like there's been 75-80% of last year's rainfall so far. I guess the most significant is the lack of rain in April this year... But I guess this is all moot if we have a shit load of rain next month like in 2016! 

Jan 2016: 66mm
Feb 2016: 77
Mar 2016: 72
Apr 2016: 44
May 2016: 56 (42mm fell over 2 days during second week)
June 2016: 87

= 315mm Jan-May
(= 402mm Jan-end of June)

Jan 2017: 57mm
Feb 2017: 51
Mar 2017: 65
Apr 2017: 11
May 2017: 47 till 23/5 
June 2017: 

= 221mm (Jan-May 23)

I'm guessing there are lots of other factors - e.g. warmer temps like we're having now will speed up the drying process. If anyone far more savvy than me wants to look into it more I found the charts here.

Edit: ...I just had a quick look at 2015 - Apr-June were pretty damn dry too, in comparison.

Edited by alibear

7 hours ago, alibear said:

...So I was bored the other night and decided to look up the rainfall for last year and this year and compare. This data is from Yeovil weather station, so obviously the farm will be different, but it's a decent guide. It looks like there's been 75-80% of last year's rainfall so far. I guess the most significant is the lack of rain in April this year... But I guess this is all moot if we have a shit load of rain next month like in 2016! 

= 315mm Jan-May

June 2017: 

= 221mm (Jan-May 23)

I'm guessing there are lots of other factors - e.g. warmer temps like we're having now will speed up the drying process. If anyone far more savvy than me wants to look into it more I found the charts here.

Edit: ...I just had a quick look at 2015 - Apr-June were pretty damn dry too, in comparison.

Great work Agent Bear...

8 hours ago, alibear said:

= 315mm Jan-May

June 2017: 

= 221mm (Jan-May 23)

So 43% more rain last year in January to May.

1 hour ago, briddj said:

So 43% more rain last year in January to May.

Not just that but it was a damn sight cooler too during the same period. Does the Yeovil data have temps?

We've already had 3 - 4 warm & sunny periods this year.  I remember my birthday (June 12) last year and it was cold & wet all day & night (NW England, but now live about 14 miles from Pilton.) Might even have had hailstones too. It was an awful wet winter & start to the year up until the Monday after Glasto 2016. It was fine after that! 

It's definitely warmer this year. Since March 1st the daily high temp has only dipped below 10 degrees twice. Same period last year it barely rose above 10 degrees. Mid Feb to end of May are very different for this year to last. Hopefully that's a good sign and is a factor in the low water table as mentioned above. 

IMG_7293.PNG

IMG_7294.PNG

I had a brief excursion up on the moors last night, where I'd normally be paddling through peat bogs was dusty and dry and the reservoirs are dropping daily.

This time last year was boots and gaiters 

7 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

It's definitely warmer this year. Since March 1st the daily high temp has only dipped below 10 degrees twice. Same period last year it barely rose above 10 degrees. Mid Feb to end of May are very different for this year to last. Hopefully that's a good sign and is a factor in the low water table as mentioned above. 

IMG_7293.PNG

IMG_7294.PNG

Charge your phone!!

3 hours ago, stopwn1981 said:

We just have to hope we don't get one of those 'a months rainfall in 2 hours' jobbies between now and end of festival!

Hot weather like this DOES come with storms.  But I don't think we have too much to be concerned about, looking at the patterns of what is moving over the atlantic, unless things change dramatically from what we have been seeing.  I'm still firmly in the camp that we are on for an amazing summer overall (not making any predictions about specific weather over a 5 day period, of course).