The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

What was it like on site today, anyone?  It was a lovely day in London!  Is the ground dry?  It is bone dry?!  I want dust!

58 minutes ago, Lala1978 said:

Me too, I want 2010 grade dust!

Your wishes are sorted. It's dry dry dry down here. Get your white dust masks ready

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

Earlier than that. Was the mildest & warmest & wettest winter on record. It rained non stop from the September 2015 to June 2016 pretty much. 

Yeh, I moved to Sheffield in Sept 15. In the July my supervisor had assured me that it hardly ever rained in Sheffield because the rain broke over the Pennines, and thus the Manc's got the worst of it.

While the second part of that sentence may be true, the first part definitely is not....not during those months anyway!

Edited by Sasperella

On 5/22/2017 at 10:57 PM, briddj said:

Only partly. The ground was already so saturated that there was nowhere for that month's worth of rain to go. 

Not how I remember it - It was dry as a bone up to (some point in) June, then when it started it was very heavy and kept going.

37 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Not how I remember it - It was dry as a bone up to (some point in) June, then when it started it was very heavy and kept going.

I remember lots and lots of speculation about the water table, I think you may both be right - there was loads of rain in the months leading up to the festival, with a dry spell before the real soaking began.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I remember lots and lots of speculation about the water table, I think you may both be right - there was loads of rain in the months leading up to the festival, with a dry spell before the real soaking began.

so basically what you are saying is that "it is lovely now , but could still all go tits up"

welcome to festivals in England

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I worked at Bearded Theory last year in May, arrived almost a year ago to the day. It was a very dry festival and the main issues were sunburn and getting enough water on board.

That festival has started today and they're going to have another absolute scorcher.

My point being, in terms of the weather 3 weeks later at Glastonbury, it meant jack shit.

And during last year's Glasto mudfest, family and friends back home in Edinburgh were sunbathing.

So I will continue to make offerings to the weather gods, and will not pay much attention to the weather until the week before and during.

fc

18 minutes ago, fewcloudy said:

I worked at Bearded Theory last year in May, arrived almost a year ago to the day. It was a very dry festival and the main issues were sunburn and getting enough water on board.

That festival has started today and they're going to have another absolute scorcher.

My point being, in terms of the weather 3 weeks later at Glastonbury, it meant jack shit.

And during last year's Glasto mudfest, family and friends back home in Edinburgh were sunbathing.

So I will continue to make offerings to the weather gods, and will not pay much attention to the weather until the week before and during.

fc

Nail on the head - it's lovely now, probably some rain over the weekend, maybe a lot of rain, who knows.  It's been generally lovely, occasionally there's been some rain.  If we're at Glastonbury when the rain does hit, it's pretty heavy rain, and would probably turn things pretty slippy, otherwise it's been nice.  Doesn't mean a thing though, as it's really not relevant until maybe two weeks time.

Your point should have been Bearded Theory is worth a punt next year?

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We have a well in our back garden. If the water table is high you can see the water quite clearly. The well is currently drier than a dry thing in dry town. Even the plants that grow down there are dying. So I'll keep you posted and let you know if the water returns. 

Ps last year during the storm it was very very high so the water table was high to start with.

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

We have a well in our back garden. If the water table is high you can see the water quite clearly. The well is currently drier than a dry thing in dry town. Even the plants that grow down there are dying. So I'll keep you posted and let you know if the water returns. 

Ps last year during the storm it was very very high so the water table was high to start with.

How was it in May?

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Easy now everybody....no sudden movements......slowly slowly catchy monkey.....

B)

I could catch a monkey. If I was starving I could. I'd make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you'd be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.