The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I strongly agree, but there at least seems to be a debate. For mud haters, although 2007 got as bad as it ever does, the ground started off pretty good.

It was the pissing down rain that I hated about 2007. And at least it normally stopped in the evening (Sunday apart)

And the cold, it was so cold :(

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Mickball said:

The thing that got to me about the mud last year was that it seemed to be in this perpetual cycle of drying out. It would rain and turn to soupy mud, then start to dry into sloppy mud, then eventually become that nightmarish glue....

And then it would rain again and we'd have soupy mud.

Soupy M you can sort of deal with.. At least it's walkable 

Sloppy M.. That's just dam right dangerous imo... 

But then you have the gluey M.. Now sometimes that's OK as long as you don't have to go miles but then again it's a nightmare when they go and put down hay which only sticks every thing together so your size 9 boots become size 11 and weight in at half a ton.. It's a bit better now they put bark chippings down BUT the only good ground is dry ground with green grass.. 

4282524-green-grass-heart-symbol.jpg

IMO

2013 was perfect. Rained Wednesday night and settled the dust. Don't remember another drop for the rest of the weekend.

2014 Pissed it down at some point every day  (apart from Sunday IIRC)  but overall wasn't bad

2015 As above pretty much

2016 I have erased this from my mind. It hurts to go back there. Although it wasn't constantly raining the mud was hard work

14 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

IMO

2013 was perfect. Rained Wednesday night and settled the dust. Don't remember another drop for the rest of the weekend.

2014 Pissed it down at some point every day  (apart from Sunday IIRC)  but overall wasn't bad

2016 I have erased this from my mind. It hurts to go back there. Although it wasn't constantly raining the mud was hard work

2013 - it was the thursday it rained

2015 didn't rain on the thursday or saturday iirc

18 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

IMO

2013 It rained really heavily on the Thursday!

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare
Forgot the year

17 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Yeah I remember as was getting pissed at acoustic bar to come out in a mud fest and rain.... I was wearing sandals and had no waterproof it wasn't fun :(

still perfect weather as rest of weekend was fine

27 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Actually those German sausages were.....

German sausage.. Umm is there a German sausage stall if so where...?? 

Edited by guypjfreak

3 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

The only times I've been to Glastonbury was 2014 and 2016 (sorry guys I'm obvs an unlucky charm) and both times the mud was unreal. But because I've not seen an alternative yet, anything else but mud is an improvement.

first time last year, it can't be worse than that so really i'm in for a treat

9 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

The only times I've been to Glastonbury was 2014 and 2016 (sorry guys I'm obvs an unlucky charm) and both times the mud was unreal. But because I've not seen an alternative yet, anything else but mud is an improvement.

You're not unlucky. This is my 13th visit and only once has it been bone-dry.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

You're not unlucky. This is my 13th visit and only once has it been bone-dry.

To be honest Leeds was miles worse last year, didn't think anything could beat Glastonbury mud but Leeds mud was something else

I wouldn't complain if we saw 2010 weather, rather be melting in the sun than sinking in the ground

2 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Aye, it was well timed rain though.  Came on in the evening about 6 then stopped before midnight.  We'd gone back to the tents deciding to skip getting soaked and be properly rested for the next day, but the rain stopped and it was the year that the spider was by Other stage, so when the flames started blasting skywards we all decided to head back out.  It was a slippery path down from South Park but totally worth it, we had one of the best nights ever at Glastonbury and it was the least crowded I've ever experienced Shangri la.

1 hour ago, kaytee... said:

To be honest Leeds was miles worse last year

That was bad but at least it was the sloppy, potential to slip over type of mud rather than the trudging, endless, sticky, Somme like mud that usually is Glastonbury that kanckers you out. I thought last year was fine in all honesty but I do not remember any of the SE corner.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Monday was the worst.

Yep, temperature definitely dropped Monday morning - I remember queuing up for the coach, almost knee deep in water (so you couldn't sit or put your rucksack down), freezing - they even started handing out blankets. As bad as 2007 was weather wise it could have been even worse if that temperature drop had happened a few days earlier. 

4 hours ago, Franky said:

And the cold, it was so cold :(

My wife lost feeling in one big toe, standing in a puddle in wellies in the rain after the who waiting for our coach probably didn't help matters, took about 10 days for her to get full feeling back

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Haha, me too - only 2014 and 2016. But I've been to a lot of hideous mud baths masquerading as festivals before, and so to me 2014 really didn't seem so bad. Sitting on the ground was at least an option in some places, and the Park wasn't essentially an ice-rink by Sunday. Maybe my standards are just really low, or I'm just really unlucky, but it seemed like a benchmark English festival.....

Actually, now I think about it, the last time I went to a non-muddy festival was 14 years ago... :-/

One thing that always gets me though is those pics you see of all the hippies back in the day at pics of Glasto....it always seems to be glorious! And then sometime in the 90s it all just became a lot of pics of mud people.

Seen a lot of people saying 2014 was bad weather, but from memory (apart from the small matter of that electrical storm) the weather was fine overall. First time I went to Glastonbury in 2011 was the worst weatherwise. But at the time I didn't give a fuck - was that bit younger and it was my first one and adrenaline was high.