Take Care

Pinhead

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-5-10 at 7:57 PM, Pinhead said:

Sigh. It did mate and therefore its relevant. Dont want to bring anyone down but I feel its worth posting in a cautionary context.

Oh sorry mate, it's just that the article says the attack happened at a fundraising event, not a festival. Have I misunderstood something?

My issue is that the thread should be called 'don't rape' rather than 'take care' as if there is something that women should and can do to avoid sexual assault. By not drinking, dressing a certain way, not going out without someone else, etc etc until we are all sitting at home not going anywhere. 

It isn't on us to take care, it is on men not to sexually assault women.

8 hours ago, OG said:

Nice to see he's getting a fair trial. Guilty until proven innocent 

But he is getting a fair trial - in the real world. And so far,  just reading about this one witness, it's pretty damming stuff. It would appear illogical for the Crown Prosecution Service not to have many more witnesses to support their case, given the number of people who witnessed the incident. Then they'll be the footage or photos that were taken by witnesses to show in court. Yes, he is still currently innocent, but would you put money on that being the case at the end of the trial, when the jury reaches it's verdict?

On 5/10/2017 at 8:06 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The most misleading thing is the headline suggesting people filmed while he raped her. They clearly didn't realise what was going on, and although it's questionable that people should be filming such a thing anyway, I don't for a second think if anybody had realised they wouldn't have stopped it.

last weekend there was a bit of campaign about sexual assault at festivals...
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/17/170505a.shtml
(the wording is verbatim from the campaign rather than written by efestivals, to be clear)

There were three main messages...

• Zero Tolerance to Sexual Assault
  • Hands Off Unless Consent
  • Don’t Be a Bystander

What's been in the papers has had me thinking about that last one, and just how easy it might be to be that bystander.

The problem, I guess, is that we might be too busy laughing at what we're seeing to actually think about what we're seeing.

12 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

My issue is that the thread should be called 'don't rape' rather than 'take care' as if there is something that women should and can do to avoid sexual assault. By not drinking, dressing a certain way, not going out without someone else, etc etc until we are all sitting at home not going anywhere. 

Have all of the upvotes. Well said.

14 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

So much this and some tips here for clarity.

RCS-TopTen-postA4FINweb-1.jpg

:clapping:

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree.... unfortunately we live in a world in which women do have to take care. 

Whilst what you said is right, the intentions of the OP were in my opinion good natured, it's the world thats backward.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree.... unfortunately we live in a world in which women do have to take care. 

Whilst what you said is right, the intentions of the OP were in my opinion good natured, it's the world thats backward.

We do unfortunately live in that world but it needs to change. As long as I've been a woman (which is my whole life) we've been told to take care. Its about time the focus was on men not to rape. I can't recall ever hearing boys get told that in school but you're damn sure i heard to dress moderately. 

15 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

IMG_5941.JPG

14 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

We do unfortunately live in that world but it needs to change. As long as I've been a woman (which is my whole life) we've been told to take care. Its about time the focus was on men not to rape. I can't recall ever hearing boys get told that in school but you're damn sure i heard to dress moderately. 

Ive never been told "dont rape"... probably because it should be a pretty standard thing.

I am however told to "take care" when I go to more dodgy areas. I shouldn't have to be told to take care. Someone shouldn't want to jump me, but the world in which we live in means that I have to.

The only point I made was that I dont believe telling someone to take care can be a bad thing.

Do I think that women are treated unfairly and demonised for no reason at times? yes. Should the man take more responsibility? 100% yes.