First time in camper van and at Glastonbury

marknemo

My tips are:

when renting, make sure they give you enough toilet chemicals for however many "empties" of the cassette you're going to do.

check how to change gas bottles. Hopefully they give you a spare full one. 

Remember that the fridge can work on gas. But if it is anything like the one I first hired, you still need to have switch on for the leisure battery in the van. Couldn't work out the first year why my fridge wasn't getting cold enough. 

There's no power hookup (or water hookup) at Glastonbury. Your van will have some 12v sockets but these aren't necessarily the same as car cigarette lighter sockets. Ask for an adaptor so you can charge phones/other USB devices. 

The "garage" under the living accommodation is usually vast. Store everything in there whilst travelling so it doesn't spread across the entire living area when you're burning up the M3 etc. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have/can get an awning use one to take off and leave muddy boots etc. (although wont be needed this year obvs) but if you cant get one leave a bin bag just inside the door so you can take them off using the bag and leave in that overnight so you don't tread mud all over the van. As above you wont be going back to the van in the day so take everything you need and store things in the lock ups if you don't want to carry them round - don't forget to make a donation. Leisure batteries can drain quickly especially if you have several adults trying to charge phones etc - make sure you turn off lights/chargers /everything when you leave the van and at night to save the juice. Have a great time!

2 hours ago, Cvjonny17 said:

Its also our first time at the festival in our vw camper!

Are the fields quite flat or do we really need levelling blocks?

Going on the tuesdnight......hopefully arrive before 9pm..

Yes definitely take levelling blocks. Useful to stop getting stuck too not that it will be muddy this year!! Have a wonderful time x

Check how clean it has to be when you return it. I own a crappy old caravan but will probably put the stick cling film stuff down on the carpet that plasters/builders use- a newspaper will work. The leisure battery won't last for ever, use it sparingly. First night (pre made) meal and then just breakfast tackle, possibly snacks. Leave beer outside in shade under awning/van over night and wake up to relatively cold beer, or small bucket with water for soft drink/beer for morning.

Ive picked up the tip of having the towing connection handy from this board, incase we you get stuck in the dusty warm fields and need pulling out.

On 10 May 2017 at 2:58 PM, The Nal said:

Try get into E20, E21 or E23. Tell them you have either a bad leg, a baby and mum arriving tomorrow or that you have contracted AIDS.

With regards to E21. I know you're joking mate but others please don't lie. E21 is genuinely reserved for people who have particularly needs.

3 hours ago, baggienick68 said:

Only bring bacon for a morning sarnie and milk, tea and coffee. Its way too far to go back to cook and the food on site is fab. ( see thread ). Take every thing you need for the day when you go off in the morning, including a warm jacket for the evenings. Don't bring any booze in glass bottles.

Sorry if I'm repeating some of the above comments.

Have a wonderful time.

Agree with this, but depending on where you end up, if close, our lot do tend to pop back around 6/7ish for a sit down and a drink.  I'd recommend some kind of foldable table and chairs for outside if you see yourself doing this. Its actually often a favourite part of the festival. We re-charge soak up the views before heading back in to the site for the evening. 

23 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

With regards to E21. I know you're joking mate but others please don't lie. E21 is genuinely reserved for people who have particularly needs.

Have a look at the map. We were in E17 one year. 25 minutes walk to Gate C. 25 minutes. It backs on to the carparks. 

So a round trip back to the van from say, West Holts, which I did, takes an hour and 10 minutes. 

Fuck that. 

glasto_map_3328582a.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Really easy but I think genius tip: 

Get a clear Ziploc bagike you put your toiletries in at the airport, use to keep ticket & passouts safe & dry, and they can even scan them through the bag :)

The traditional tactic for keeping the ticket & passouts safe & dry is the Guardian Guide lanyard around your neck.

17 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The traditional tactic for keeping the ticket & passouts safe & dry is the Guardian Guide lanyard around your neck.

This is what I did last year, only thing to be aware of is dropping your ticket when you take the guide out of the pouch.

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

This is what I did last year, only thing to be aware of is dropping your ticket when you take the guide out of the pouch.

Daughters boyfriend lost his 2 years ago... spent an hour being interviewed (in the security hut at the top of the Hill of Death)  before getting allowed back in..

i would advise taking photos of tickets for your group that can be shown in the event...

On 10/05/2017 at 7:31 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

I've never stayed in a campervan only in tents but if I did one thing I would do would take everything I need for the day including quite a lot of heavy beer and drop it off at the lock up first thing so you can go there to top up rather than back to the van 

Are the lock ups big enough to do this? Bloody tremendous idea ! 

2 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Are the lock ups big enough to do this? Bloody tremendous idea ! 

The lock-ups will take pretty much anything and everything.  We stored our trolley there one year for the duration of the festival and then each day we tend to put our warmer clothes and some drinks for the evenings in them.  Makes it easier if smaller items are in bags or whatever, but they don't absolutely need to be.  They will give you an envelope if you are thinking of storing cash/passports or whatever.  But as others have said, don't forget to leave a donation.

On 2017-5-10 at 8:09 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yep it wasn't a zero tolerance policy as such, but I didn't really fancy hauling the cassette through the absolute horror between our caravan and the waste tank anymore than once.

Try and stop for a wee on the way out and back, but happy to use the van bathroom otherwise.

No number 2's in the van.  I won't pretend that all the portaloos are delightful, but preferable to carrying a plastic box with your waste more than necessary. 

Don't waste the water in the shower, just use as little as you need, again you will need to refill it and there are a couple of you. 

Take a supply of drink, there's a thread of cheap prices here somewhere.  Chill in the fridge, then take in a cool bag with a couple of blocks each day and about 5 drinks and some water each. 

We don't take much food tbh, we're pretty much as far as you can get in E25 so just take a day bag with clothes for later in the day and buy food on site - again thread with tons of recommendations in this thread as well.

Edited by clarkete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

We are planning on travelling down in our camper van after work on Tuesday night but I wanted to check you can get in at any time? We want to get there as early as possible but thereis a chance it might not be until 11pm..... will we still be able to get in to the camper van field at that time?

Also, on the wednesday, is there anything going on at all or any food or will we be better off bringing food for Wednesday?

Sorry for all the questions but I think I read somewhere about exchanging tickets or something but then other comments about carrying your tickets around with you for the full festival - can someone clarify please?

Really excited now, so glad we are in the camper van which should hopefully make the experience more comfortable!

Thanks for all of your help on this thread, its been really useful!

22 minutes ago, marknemo said:

Hi All!

We are planning on travelling down in our camper van after work on Tuesday night but I wanted to check you can get in at any time? We want to get there as early as possible but thereis a chance it might not be until 11pm..... will we still be able to get in to the camper van field at that time?

Also, on the wednesday, is there anything going on at all or any food or will we be better off bringing food for Wednesday?

Sorry for all the questions but I think I read somewhere about exchanging tickets or something but then other comments about carrying your tickets around with you for the full festival - can someone clarify please?

Really excited now, so glad we are in the camper van which should hopefully make the experience more comfortable!

Thanks for all of your help on this thread, its been really useful!

Hi :D

Access to the CV fields is non-stop from Tuesday midday so it won't matter what time you arrive.

Food stalls and bars are open on Wednesday and a few things going on, most important of which is the eFests meet at the Ridge and Furrow bar at 6pm!!

When you first arrive at the Campervan Fields you will exchange your CV ticket for a sticker that goes on to your windscreen. You can forget all about that then. When you first go onto the site through the pedestrian gate you show your general admission ticket when you are first processed. The stewards will take the stub off and return the ticket to you. DON'T LOSE IT!! You will also be wristbanded. When you want to leave the site to go back to your van you need to show your wristband AND ticket. They will then give you a pass out stub. When you come back on to site again you will need to show all three - wristband, ticket and pass out. They will take the pass out ticket from you. This whole process is repeated every time you leave or enter site.

Enjoy!!

Thanks! One more question, can you take alcohol in the festival in a plastic bottle? I'm thinking vodka and a mixer? 

We are trying to figure out how much vodka to take between 4 of us, we are thinking 10 litres but that feels like a lot, especially if you can't take any into the festival.

what are drinks prices like inside, does anyone have a price list from last year or rough prices to share?

8 minutes ago, marknemo said:

Thanks! One more question, can you take alcohol in the festival in a plastic bottle? I'm thinking vodka and a mixer? 

We are trying to figure out how much vodka to take between 4 of us, we are thinking 10 litres but that feels like a lot, especially if you can't take any into the festival.

what are drinks prices like inside, does anyone have a price list from last year or rough prices to share?

yep, you can take anything you like, as long as it's not in a glass bottle.

decant it into plastic bottles before you set off though - there -may- be additional camper searches and it would suck to have all your drinks confiscated before you even park up.

1 hour ago, marknemo said:

10 litres doesn't sound too much really. Don't leave your decanted spirits around in unmarked bottles incase anyone is thirsty in the night and thinks they're water!

There is plenty going on Wednesday

Edited by Upside down frowner

8 minutes ago, whisty said:

If it hasn't been asked, what fields do they fill up first or can you park anywhere?

Fields fill up in the order in which the stewards fill them up in, although we've been 6 years in the van, arriving within 4-5 hours and always been in the same field .... you get directed where to park in rows with a fire lane down the middle

3 minutes ago, whisty said:

If it hasn't been asked, what fields do they fill up first or can you park anywhere?

They fill it backwards towards the gate, so last in has furthest to walk each day. This is countered by getting out quicker on the Monday morning.

Depending on the set up you have (mines a small VW camper). I have those dried porridge pots for breakfast, just add hot water and there it is, no mess, no washing up, no milk, no smell etc etc .... you have to like porridge of course though.

Have an awning/canopy/gazebo if possible. If wet, the shelter, space and shade is invaluable. Make sure any split charging sytem is in place, or dont be running lights, chergers etc off the main battery. Waiting for a battery start by the AA on Monday always looks a drag. 

Camper van fields are nothing like I expected. I thought it would be knackered coaches with wood stove pipes coming out through the roof, but no, its all VW buses and expensive hired motorhomes.

1 minute ago, ClementsMike said:

They fill it backwards towards the gate, so last in has furthest to walk each day. This is countered by getting out quicker on the Monday morning.

Thanks.