Yeo Valley

alanr

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe you were just there at milking time.

I was there for 3 days and nights, and they were in there permanently. I was staying on-site at Park Farm - they have an Airbnb.

11 minutes ago, russycarps said:

eggs only these days...

and it's easy to source cruelty free eggs

How have you found the transition Russy?  Off-topic I'll concede but it intrigues me.  Mrs Q and I are 80% vegetarian these days (if not a bit more) and haven't fond it that hard tbh, but the step to vegan would clearly be a whole 'nother level.

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

I visited the site over Easter. All the cows were in the cow shed, and they looked fucking miserable. 

Made me feel very sad, and I don't know why they're not out in the fields - I get they need to be shut in whilst everyone is on the land, but it seemed far too early for them to be indoors. Their faces peering out as we walked past, and the smell...

Really felt bad for them.

Sorry for off-topicness.

This is the reality for most (although not all) dairy cattle. Just a drop in the ocean of a life of misery. 

Edited by fionajm777

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

How have you found the transition Russy?  Off-topic I'll concede but it intrigues me.  Mrs Q and I are 80% vegetarian these days (if not a bit more) and haven't fond it that hard tbh, but the step to vegan would clearly be a whole 'nother level.

I know I am not Russy - however just wanted to draw your attention to Oat Milk as a really good alternative to cow's milk.

The main thing that kept me drinking milk when I wanted to stop was that soya/rice/almond milk really affects the taste of tea and coffee, so I'd still use it in that.

Oat Milk really doesn't ruin a cup of tea at all, the flavour is subtle and tea is still very enjoyable.

I'm not 100% vegan, but I am always looking for ways to lower my consumption, and Oat Milk has made a big difference!

Edited by Skoo

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

I visited the site over Easter. All the cows were in the cow shed, and they looked fucking miserable. 

Made me feel very sad, and I don't know why they're not out in the fields - I get they need to be shut in whilst everyone is on the land, but it seemed far too early for them to be indoors. Their faces peering out as we walked past, and the smell...

Sorry for off-topicness.

Quite a few farms have them inside all the year round, the milk yields are higher and cows healthier, but like you say it's a bit sad.

i guess they come in nice and early to rid the land of cow pats and to allow the festival to be built.

Edited by Smeble

7 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I know I am not Russy - however just wanted to draw your attention to GOat Milk as a really good alternative to cow's milk.

The main thing that kept me drinking milk when I wanted to stop was that soya/rice/almond milk really affects the taste of tea and coffee, so I'd still use it in that.

GOat Milk really doesn't ruin a cup of tea at all, the flavour is subtle and tea is still very enjoyable.

I'm not 100% vegan, but I am always looking for ways to lower my consumption, and GOat Milk has made a big difference!

ftfy

7 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I know I am not Russy - however just wanted to draw your attention to Oat Milk as a really good alternative to cow's milk.

Oat Milk really doesn't ruin a cup of tea at all, the flavour is subtle and tea is still very enjoyable.

I'm not 100% vegan, but I am always looking for ways to lower my consumption, and Oat Milk has made a big difference!

Interesting,  My wife is dairy free and uses almond milk for the most part. I may have to look into this more.

This is when I wish I could stop finding out about things. I was so much happier when I was ignorant!! :lol:

7 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Quite a few farms have them inside all the year round, the milk yields are higher and cows healthier, but like you say it's a bit sad.

i guess they come in nice and early to rid the land of cow pats and to allow the festival to be built.

This is very depressing. Milk farming is generally depressing as soon as you look into it, but keeping the poor animals in a stinky cow shed all year is tragic.

All cheese and milk should be labelled so that consumers can at least make an informed choice about whether to buy milk that comes from cows that spend their lives indoors.

Anyway, this is going dangerously off-topic, I apologise all!

#thinkofthecows

Edited by Skoo

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

This is very depressing. Milk farming is generally depressing as soon as you look into it, but keeping the poor animals in a stinky cow shed all year is tragic.

All cheese and milk should be labelled so that consumers can at least make an informed choice about whether to buy milk that comes from cows that spend their lives indoors.

Anyway, this is going dangerously off-topic, I apologise all!

#thinkofthecows

Being kept indoors is the least of their worries, short life, forced pregnancy, calves taken away from them at a young age etc.

milk from outside farms is mixed with indoor farms so labelling would be impossible.

having worked in the milk industry it would be the one thing that could make me veggie, however I just stopped drinking milk instead, and what do you know coffee tastes better black.

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are a few 'artisan' (i.e. small batch / family firm) ice cream stalls dotted around the place which are a far, far better bet than the Mr Whippy vans.

Aye, there's a local company in/around the Avalon field that's absolutely gorgeous.

3 hours ago, Skoo said:

I was there for 3 days and nights, and they were in there permanently. I was staying on-site at Park Farm - they have an Airbnb.

Is it this one?
https://www.airbnb.com.ar/rooms/6681164?location=Pilton%2C Reino Unido&s=GQGt8gbY

So you can stay here even during the festival?? That'd be quite good! :D

6 hours ago, p.pete said:

Yeah, those are the ones I had in my mind.  I guess I don't see too much of a post-festival life for fluorescent canvas backpacks, whereas the yeo-valley ones are quite reusable 

I take my Guardian bag on holiday with me every year. Perfect for the beach.

Yeah that's the one, it was amazing. However it goes for about £2k per night over the festival, so you'd need quite a bit of spare money!

Was surreal staying on site, and it was an amazing trip. I've never been so jealous of anyone in my life as I was of the couple of own it, and the surrounding lands. What a result!

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Yeah that's the one, it was amazing. However it goes for about £2k per night over the festival, so you'd need quite a bit of spare money!

Was surreal staying on site, and it was an amazing trip. I've never been so jealous of anyone in my life as I was of the couple of own it, and the surrounding lands. What a result!

2K?! 

OK I'm good then :lol:

16 minutes ago, Skoo said:

And it's already booked up for this year anyway.

16 hours ago, Skoo said:

Sorry for off-topicness.

13 hours ago, Smeble said:

If it was over Easter I think it's more likely that they hadn't gone out for the spring/summer yet rather than had gone back in.

My parents are dairy farmers but I've been vegan for a few years now. I would encourage anyone to give up dairy, both for health and ethical reasons. Having lived on a dairy farm for 20 years, I feel it's unimaginable for most people what cows go through so they can have milk in their tea and cheese. Dairy cows don't have good prospects, they have to keep giving birth until they break or don't give enough milk and then they get turned into beef. I'm visiting them for a few days this week and have been listening to a cow who gave birth 4 days ago call out near constantly for her calf - it's in a separate building and is drinking milk out of a bucket/bottle. They are actually semi retiring and selling their cows in a couple weeks, I'm glad they'll be able to wind down from 14 hour days 7 days a week, but the cows will likely go to more industrial farms- as they're the only ones making any money. 

Also, er, yeah, no bag,  what an inconvenience! :P

Edited by Chawk

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

If it was over Easter I think it's more likely that they hadn't gone out for the spring/summer yet rather than had gone back in.

My parents are dairy farmers but I've been vegan for a few years now. I would encourage anyone to give up dairy, both for health and ethical reasons. Having lived on a dairy farm for 20 years, I feel it's unimaginable for most people what cows go through so they can have milk in their tea and cheese. Dairy cows don't have good prospects, they have to keep giving birth until they break or don't give enough milk and then they get turned into beef. I'm visiting them for a few days this week and have been listening to a cow who gave birth 4 days ago call out near constantly for her calf - it's in a separate building and is drinking milk out of a bucket/bottle. They are actually semi retiring and selling their cows in a couple weeks, I'm glad they'll be able to wind down from 14 hour days 7 days a week, but the cows will likely go to more industrial farms- as they're the only ones making any money. 

Also, er, yeah, no bag,  what an inconvenience! :P

Yeah the dairy industry is pretty grim, if people realised what the cows go through I think more people would either give up dairy or go veggie or vegan. People won't buy battery eggs but will quite happily buy milk which comes from a far worse industry.

I wonder what is behind this - Yeo deciding that they're better off spending the cash elsewhere, or Glastonbury cutting back on sponsorship (as they did when they removed the 'Orange' bit from the Chill and Charge tent)? Or maybe they couldn't find anyone to take over the sponsorship of the bags?

18 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fair play then I apologise. Didn't realise you'd gone so far and I do admire that. 

Next step to zero hypocrisy is never to buy a Glastonbury ticket again, I suppose!

Well there have been occasions where I have had milk since giving it up so I dont deserve the apology!

18 hours ago, Quark said:

Well I definitely would never call myself even nearly a vegan. The fact I eat eggs makes things much much easier than if I was a full vegan. They are so versatile and full of nutrition that is hard to come by if you are a vegan. I do drink a vegan bodybuilder drink too to ensure I'm getting enough protein! Otherwise you have to eat too many beans/lentils etc. 

I didnt drink milk before really - I always preferred porridge made with almond milk and drank black coffee - so giving that up was simple. The one thing I miss a lot is cheese. No more pizza is a devastating thing. I know you can get so-called "cruelty-free" cheese which minimises the suffering in the process, but ultimately the cheese-making process involves suffering. I wouldnt rule out me one day eating cheese from these sources, but I am going to try hard not to.

Eating at home is no issue at all. But the major issue as ever is eating out. Everywhere has a vegetarian option these days, but not always vegan options. This is where I fail, because I do eat food with dairy in on occasions where it is hard for me not to. For example if I have to go out for lunch for work reasons I will eat dairy if there is no other choice. Luckily living in London most places do have vegan options everywhere. Also when I'm on holiday and eating out in the evening I sometimes have had no real choice but to eat dairy. 

I know some beer and wine contains fish parts, but I dont check that sort of thing. I know I should, but it just gets too complicated. Similarly, milk and eggs are used in lots of food as a binding agent so while I try and avoid this, no doubt sometimes I have eaten dairy from these sources.

All you can do is do your best. I admire the strict vegans, but I know I could ever be one. Your 80% vegetarian level is great!

• 1 month later...