Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

What are the most common misconceptions about the festival that you hear from people who haven't been?

The toilet situation is the one I come across the most; "Oh, I couldn't go and pay money to go and shit in a bucket". The toilets at Glasto are probably the best of all the big major festivals I've been to. Far better than the usual Portaloo wall of stench that you endure elsewhere. Can't see why people would not go considering how little time you spend in the toilet.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh it's all hippies and travellers isn't it?"

"Isn't everyone just off their heads all the time?"

"All the food and drink will be sooo expensive and crap - you're a captive audience"

"Enjoy being knee-deep in mud for the weekend!" (this nearly true last year, but generally not)

I'm very happy for all the people who let ideas like these put them off, be put off by these ideas! ^_^

Always a lot of toilet chat and people asking who the headliners are and then turning their noses up when they don't like/havn`t heard of them. (If you havnt been it's hard to realise that there are numerous other stages)

I had a conversation with a chap at my work the other day who is still convinced that Dolly Patton headlined despite me repeatedly telling him that she didn't and I was there and saw her in the afternoon!

The other main misconception is that the eavis family make millions each year from ticket sales and people don't believe me when I tell them about charity donations, break even costs etc!

Toilets and mud are the two that most commonly get raised with me - neither of which have ever been an issue.  

There's no such thing as bad weather at a festival - just the wrong clothing.

My favourite is always after the festival.  "What did you think of <insert pyramid headliner>?"  Me:  "Don't know, wasn't there.  I was watching <something else>" Them:  "Oh, so you didn't enjoy yourself then".  At which point I walk away because I'd really rather not punch them or educate them.

Who's playing? Nah, they're crap

mud, toilets, traffic

Did you see x (band, celeb, Michael Eavis) 

Can you take stuff into the arena? 

Heard it all. In a way, it was better when no one had heard of it. 

4 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

"I can just watch it on TV, from the comfort of my own home".

People don't realise that what you see on TV is the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah when I tell people there's a huge underground stage that the Pyramid is only the peak of, they never believe me. :dontknow:

36 minutes ago, billum said:

"Oh it's all hippies and travellers isn't it?"

Nope!

"Isn't everyone just off their heads all the time?"

Yep!

"All the food and drink will be sooo expensive and crap - you're a captive audience"

Nope!

"Enjoy being knee-deep in mud for the weekend!" (this nearly true last year, but generally not)

Most definitely!

I'm very happy for all the people who let ideas like these put them off, be put off by these ideas! ^_^

This:)