Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, most of my colleagues are jealous I'm going (they've done the rounds at Download & Reading etc) but all flinch when they ask how much a ticket for Glastonbury is.

The same price as all the other festivals they go to...

11 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Had some guy today arguing that this year is going to be the last ever festival ...

Mate, you're months and months behind all the incorrect rumours, please stop, you know nothing :D

Yeah I hate that, even friends that have gone before say similar things "it's moving next year" "next year isn't a fallow year" "they're changing the name and moving to longleat"

Every year I go this same friend says it will be better watching on BBC in the comfort of their armchair at home.... it's laughable I know but I just smile.

I think some people feel the need to express a reason why they can't go/wouldn't go and/or are not interested which is absolutely fine. If you not up for the challenge of serious fun and a mind blowing, life challenging experience every year then fine sit in front of BBC iPlayer.

54 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

Every year I go this same friend says it will be better watching on BBC in the comfort of their armchair at home.... it's laughable I know but I just smile.

Same here - I just use the BBC coverage to fill in the gaps where I'm either too wasted to remember or am at another stage watching something better. You never see any real coverage of the naughty corner, Arcadia or Glade - just the same three stages, mainline acts, with a few clips of something they think is trendy and a bit of a walkabout with some BBC wannabe presenter. (perhaps the real Glastonbury is not Corporate enough for Aunty)..

The only reason to watch Glasto on TV is if you haven't got a ticket - but I find it's almost masochistic.

9 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Same here - I just use the BBC coverage to fill in the gaps where I'm either too wasted to remember or am at another stage watching something better. You never see any real coverage of the naughty corner, Arcadia or Glade - just the same three stages, mainline acts, with a few clips of something they think is trendy and a bit of a walkabout with some BBC wannabe presenter. (perhaps the real Glastonbury is not Corporate enough for Aunty)..

BBC1, Saturday night, 9pm:

"Good evening. You were maybe expecting to see a live broadcast if Adele, but instead for a change we're bringing you an unedited broadcast of Shpongle on the Toad Hall stage". 

23 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

I'm sure all my work colleagues think I get blackout drunk 24/7 and take all the substances in the world (far from it, I don't take any ha!) and are always amazed I make it into work on the Monday. They have a funny perception of what goes on at the festival, mostly have a bit of gin and see as many bands as I can! 

Long time ago decided to tell work mates  nothing (unless i know them well enough ) as your always have assumptions made.If asked what my weekend was like will say ......"quiet" (;

5 minutes ago, simonthecyclist said:

Long time ago decided to tell work mates  nothing (unless i know them well enough ) as your always have assumptions made.If asked what my weekend was like will say ......"quiet" (;

Ah I don't mind them knowing I go to Glastonbury I just find it funny that they think I'm a lot wilder than I am haha! 

I was probably guilty of a few misconceptions before I went myself, that Glastonbury was "just" a music festival 

One of the massive delights is finding it's an arts and crafts festival too with green fields, crafts and the whole theatre/circus fields there. Over the years I've grown to love those areas far more than the main stages and think the TVs coverage never really reflects that

Also I think tv coverage gives the impression it's just a three day night time festival when actually it's five days (bit more if you count the Tuesday night sleeping in the car experience and Monday pack up) so spread over that time it's actually not much different to a major sports event or football game. Going to the World athletics in London in August and an evening session ticket is £75 for just three hours Sport some tickets way more than that

14 hours ago, MetaKate said:

The best night I had last year was the one where I told my friends to fuck off and went on my own! I hope they piss me off too :lol:

Everyone should be more like you lol

Mainly the utter bewilderment delivered by my partner when I studiously survey the Glastonbury webcam. She knows it means a lot to me to be there, but doesn't understand it. All credit to her, she tries...

"I know it means a lot to you. There are some great bands there!"

"Yes, but it's not really about the music, even. It's hard to describe, but it's the place itself."

"It does look lovely! Lovely and green."

"More than that, though. It's the people; the coming together of everyone for that time."

"See that surprises me, because you're quite introverted."

"Well exactly. How amazing is it that I can be comfortable surrounded by so many people, so close? It's about the unity of spirit. That we're all there for five days of great times and the journey through the gates doesn't just feel like entering somewhere wonderful, it feels like leaving everything else behind..."

At this point we both glaze over, for different reasons.

Edited by kalifire

15 hours ago, DJ Cull said:

It can't be that big (is is actually one of the hardest things to explain, how much is on and how long it can take to get from e.g. Pyramid to Park, especially in the mud

Yeh, genuinely impossible. Been trying to convey the scale to my newbie friend. Its def not working but gonna send her the map thingy for sure...

Tbf one friend I've been with twice before said "shut up, there's never 100 stages"

15 hours ago, EamerRed said:

I've never noticed anyone else smell at Glasto, but I don't know if that's just because we all do and you don't notice it, or if it's genuinely not that bad. :lol:

Surely in 2010 people must have ponged a bit, no??

15 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Well I am so off my head that I just can't think about food, is one reply

A mate's friend overheard me telling him I hadn't eaten for 48 hrs by the Sun arvo....and she said "oh my god, how did you not faint?!?!?!". Tbf, this sort of thing probably doesn't help the misconceptions.... :-/ ooops

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I went on holiday last month.  No bands at all.  Rubbish.

A guy in work told me the other night that he pays two grand for him and his Mrs to go all-inclusive to Benidorm every year. 

I know it's not really relevant to what you've said, but I've been waiting for a chance to share it, because it's left me dumbfounded. 

Yesterday at work I was asked who's headlining.

"Radiohead, who are one of two bands I've always regretted never seeing...."

"Yes, but who's headlining ?"

Radiohead on friday, Foo Fighters on saturday and Ed Sheeran on Sunday."

"Oooh, I like Ed Sheeran, but who's headlining ? You know like Lionel Richie did ?"

2 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

A guy in work told me the other night that he pays two grand for him and his Mrs to go all-inclusive to Benidorm every year. 

I know it's not really relevant to what you've said, but I've been waiting for a chance to share it, because it's left me dumbfounded. 

I see your point here,but aren't you being just as bad as the people who we are talking about on this thread who can't understand why we choose to go to Glastonbury every year?

Edited by rivalschools.price

12 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I see your point here,but aren't you being just as bad as the people who we are talking about on this thread who can't understand why we choose to go to Glastonbury every year?

I like a pretty eclectic mix of holidays, but 2k on a week in Benidorm is sacrilegious.