Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

I was talking to a chap from work last week about the Underground Piano Bar, and he thought the entire festival 'was a load of stages in a muddy field'. I then proceeded to explain a billionth of the stuff that goes on from T&C and the Kids Field to Shangri La and Arcadia. I'm quite sure he thought I was full of shit until I started emailing him a few pictures.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I was talking to a chap from work last week about the Underground Piano Bar, and he thought the entire festival 'was a load of stages in a muddy field'. I then proceeded to explain a billionth of the stuff that goes on from T&C and the Kids Field to Shangri La and Arcadia. I'm quite sure he thought I was full of shit until I started emailing him a few pictures.

Shhh! He'll be wanting to go next...

Surely the most common misconception is that Glastonbury Festival is really really really excellent and therefore somewhere people want to go.

Loos are awful, music is awful, bands are awful - no point in trying to get tickets ever.

Hopefully that will put people off and make it easier for us lot :)

Few years ago picking up our vacuum packed sausage and bacon from our friendly local butcher. One of the staff said 

"What you going there for it's full of knob head"

"To get away from REAL knob heads like you mate......." was my reply.

To this day he doesn't engage in the usual banter that goes on when I go there

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, I guess. For some people. Not for me, I've got be honest, it's probably the single most important thing. Good weather far outweighs any other consideration for me, even the lineup.  I'm bound to have a good time if the weather is dry and sunny, it's maybe possible, but unlikely for me to enjoy it nearly as much in the rain, or the mud. 

Yep, al about the weather for me. If it's dry then I know I'll have a great time. The weather is the biggest factor on it for me, not line-up. Everything is so much nicer when it's not muddy. 

6 minutes ago, toppo said:

Few years ago picking up our vacuum packed sausage and bacon from our friendly local butcher. One of the staff said 

Tbf Glastonbury is a great way to have a break from knob heads.

One of the biggest misconceptions...

"Why the hell are you going on Tuesday night? The festival doesn't start until Friday!"

One of the common ones I hear is someone saying 'oh if so and so were headlining I'd definitely be going'. Like they don't understand the ticket god rituals you have to go through in advance of T Day to even get on to a holding page in October to get even a sniff of a ticket!

Or people who say 'ah I can never get tickets' despite the fact they have clearly never tried!

11 minutes ago, toppo said:

Bit of a knob head retort which probably reinforced his opinion that its full of knobheads to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Miesh said:

My mum this year "oh you're still going on your own then? I'm worried and hoped you'd change your mind. How can you go when you won't know anyone?"

I tried explaining how friendly people are, camp solo, that I am an independent 38 year old etc. She still doesn't get it. My friends don't say anything but I can tell by their eyes they think I'm mad.  I've not even told them I'm not seeing Ed. I can't be bothered to explain.

If I was going to go alone...I wouldnt be able to tell my parents...they'd die of worry. I've travelled on my own to 20 countries and I've booked my next trip to croatia. Mum- "why isn't anyone going with you, croatia isn't safe" ...honestly most of the troubling situations I've been in were because of my friends :rofl:

The best night I had last year was the one where I told my friends to fuck off and went on my own! I hope they piss me off too :lol:

20 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Eavis  put that headliner on to please the locals

the villagers don't like the festival 

As a 'local',this one always makes me laugh.

In the 8 years I've lived here I haven't noticed the musical tastes to be anywhere different to anywhere else in the UK.

In fact, if I told most of my neighbours and friends that Coldplay and Ed Sheehan were put on for their benefit, there would be riots in the streets.

35 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Bit of a knob head retort which probably reinforced his opinion that its full of knobheads to be honest. 

To be honest he's a lot of a knob head the way he speaks to people, likes to take p!ss out of people but doesnt like recieving it  so was a much deserved response.  

Co-Worker - "Are you going to Glastonbury again this year"

Me - "Absolutely!"

Co-Worker - "How much is it these days?"

Me - "Ticket is about £240"

Co-Worker - "Fucking hell! What? And you pay that?"

Me - "Yes. And about 180,000 others. Would probably pay more too"

Co-Worker - "See you fucking coming..."

Me - "Are you still going to see Bruno Mars this weekend?"

Co-Worker - "Yes, he's ace"

Me - "How much is the ticket?"

Co-Worker - "£100"

Me - "Ah, I see"

Also:

Co-Worker - "Are you going to Glastonbury this year"

Me - "Yes"

Co-Worker - "Yeah, me and my mate are going to go. We're getting our tickets on payday"

Me - "They sold out in October and the in the re-sale in April"

Co-Worker - "I'll get one off Stubhub or one of those places"

Me - "Ah, I see"

All from my other half who doesn't go

why are you going on Wednesday if it doesn't start till Friday

dont you get bored just sitting in a field for 2 days waiting for the festival to start

everyones off their face

headliners are rubbish this year 

47 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

For some of the worst misconceptions just read the comments of any Glastonbury related article on the Guardian.

Some of the most bitter people going.

I was just going to post exactly this. It can be pretty infuriating reading them, idiots who have never been, yet feel the need to read articles about it and comment on it. One of the most common is "why would anybody want to go to corporate Glastonbury" 

17 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

As a 'local',this one always makes me laugh.

In the 8 years I've lived here I haven't noticed the musical tastes to be anywhere different to anywhere else in the UK.

In fact, if I told most of my neighbours and friends that Coldplay and Ed Sheehan were put on for their benefit, there would be riots in the streets.

it's true all the same. If Michael puts on an odd one, he gets his ear bent for the next year about it, so he tries to avoid that happening.

52 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

For some of the worst misconceptions just read the comments of any Glastonbury related article on the Guardian.

Some of the most bitter people going.

I used to enjoy baiting those people up. I have now matured (slightly).

As you say though, some seriously bitter folk. So glad I don't have to go to a festival with any of them.

Not just Glastonbury but some people can't see the point in spending 3 days in a field watching bands.

I was at Leeds live the other week and spending 12 hours wandering from venue to venue watching bands baffled some people I know.

Really good idea for a thread this.

To be honest, and it sounds brutal and arrogant, but if you're willing to write off a festival instantly because of the mud and/or toilets or everything else that's bleated about in clickbait articles, then you're not really the right person for Glasto, and in some ways might actually show the type of person you are.

I really do find it frustrating when I say I'm looking forward to Glasto and you hear, 'yeah but the headliners are rubbish'. That's fine, stay in your bubble mate, it gives me a marginally better chance of getting a ticket next time.