Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all the panic for a ticket in October when you don't know the line-up.

Then if you don't get one "who cares it'll only be muddy and the line-up for V looks good".

My boss was the best one - "Why have you booked a week in June 2019 off as holiday already?"

Edited by Penrhos

I'm sure all my work colleagues think I get blackout drunk 24/7 and take all the substances in the world (far from it, I don't take any ha!) and are always amazed I make it into work on the Monday. They have a funny perception of what goes on at the festival, mostly have a bit of gin and see as many bands as I can! 

43 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I'm sure all my work colleagues think I get blackout drunk 24/7 and take all the substances in the world (far from it, I don't take any ha!) and are always amazed I make it into work on the Monday. They have a funny perception of what goes on at the festival, mostly have a bit of gin and see as many bands as I can! 

I don't think it's a misconception to be amazed you're in work on the Monday - substances or not! The trekking all over the site alone needs at least a days' rest and I'm not back until the Wednesday - I think many take Tuesday off too! 

"Aren't you too old now to keep going to Glastonbury? ( I'm 56!) 

"you're not going to Glastonbury again are you? ( 19th this year!) 

" Why do you still want to go to Glastonbury at your age? " 

48 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

No way would I have managed to work on post Glastonbury Monday, I am still on site! Impressed by your stamina @lucy92 :)

1 hour ago, Jennings74 said:

What time do the steward guide you out of the arena and back to your tent? 

Dowload has better bands!! (only if you like metal)

Yeah, Download (and Reading for that matter) has better bands for me personally.The Glastonbury line up has very little for me but I still love just wondering around and always have a good time.

Glastonbury isn't just about the line-up but it's impossible to explain that to someone who hasn't been.

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

There's no such thing as bad weather at a festival - just the wrong clothing.

I have a lot of love and respect for you GH, but with all the will in the world, that's cobblers.  That mud last year, no way clothes can mitigate that. That Friday in 2011, you could have been in North Sea sou'wester oilskins, still bloody miserable. 2007, even a self contained astronaut suit wouldn'thave stopped it being a washout.

My parents are fairly certain loads of people get raped at the festival....(I know unfortunately a few people do) but I think that it is a giant misconception  (and one I have to hear quite regularly) 

I haven't even told them how our tent got broken into while we were sleeping in it. Or how I had a bloke whip out his pecker at me while I was dancing. Or how my friend passed out and faceplanted in the mud. 

They just have a general feeling that the whole thing is unsafe, and it's impossible to explain to them that I feel safer at glasto than I do out in the rest of the world. 

48 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I have a lot of love and respect for you GH, but with all the will in the world, that's cobblers.  That mud last year, no way clothes can mitigate that. That Friday in 2011, you could have been in North Sea sou'wester oilskins, still bloody miserable. 2007, even a self contained astronaut suit wouldn'thave stopped it being a washout.

One year, I can't remember which, I wanted to see a particular band - again I can't remember which - and I sat in my chair, swathed in waterproofs in the hissing rain and enjoyed a great set.  I've tramped around in thick squelchy mud, taking it slowly and carefully and wearing decent boots and had a great time. Yes, it can be a bit of an endurance challenge but I still reckon if you prepare well you can enjoy Glastonbury whatever the weather.

8 hours ago, sedra said:

"Aren't you too old now to keep going to Glastonbury? ( I'm 56!) 

"you're not going to Glastonbury again are you? ( 19th this year!) 

" Why do you still want to go to Glastonbury at your age? " 

you'd think they get the point that after 19 festivals that you will be going until you drop

I get most people saying "id love to go but can't get tickets / can't afford tickets / couldn't not shower for 5 days"

A young girl working behind the bar last night over heard us talking about bearded and then Glasto and says ..."Oh are you going to park life", we say no, Bearded theory then Glastonbury ...

She says " Im not going to Glastonbury ive been told its really bad and whats bearded thoery"  :)

4 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

One year, I can't remember which, I wanted to see a particular band - again I can't remember which - and I sat in my chair, swathed in waterproofs in the hissing rain and enjoyed a great set.  I've tramped around in thick squelchy mud, taking it slowly and carefully and wearing decent boots and had a great time. Yes, it can be a bit of an endurance challenge but I still reckon if you prepare well you can enjoy Glastonbury whatever the weather.

Yeah, I guess. For some people. Not for me, I've got be honest, it's probably the single most important thing. Good weather far outweighs any other consideration for me, even the lineup.  I'm bound to have a good time if the weather is dry and sunny, it's maybe possible, but unlikely for me to enjoy it nearly as much in the rain, or the mud. 

58 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

My parents are fairly certain loads of people get raped at the festival....(I know unfortunately a few people do) but I think that it is a giant misconception  (and one I have to hear quite regularly) 

I haven't even told them how our tent got broken into while we were sleeping in it. Or how I had a bloke whip out his pecker at me while I was dancing. Or how my friend passed out and faceplanted in the mud. 

They just have a general feeling that the whole thing is unsafe, and it's impossible to explain to them that I feel safer at glasto than I do out in the rest of the world. 

My mum this year "oh you're still going on your own then? I'm worried and hoped you'd change your mind. How can you go when you won't know anyone?"

I tried explaining how friendly people are, camp solo, that I am an independent 38 year old etc. She still doesn't get it. My friends don't say anything but I can tell by their eyes they think I'm mad.  I've not even told them I'm not seeing Ed. I can't be bothered to explain.

that the majority makeup of the crowd is split between z list celebs and posh city workers coming down to the country for a week to play at being hippies but with designer gear,.......not saying Glastonbury attracts none of these people but its definitely not what the festival is about as many make out