Rolf Harris - other stage opener?

Vth_Fish

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Vth_Fish said:

Just seen on the news that Rolfie is being released in 6 weeks. Perfect timing for him to open the Other Stage and a repeat of the amazing scenes from the Pyramid???

Www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4481066/amp/Rolf-Harris-released-prison-just-SIX-weeks.html

I'm pretty easy going about issues of 'taste' etc., and I know you're only joking, but really?

He has been convicted of sexually assaulting scores of people including children. Do we really want to to open a thread about him on a forum dedicated to a festival that upholds values of friendship, community, looking after one another and the less fortunate?

It's a no from me.

Ben

1 hour ago, Vth_Fish said:

Just seen on the news that Rolfie is being released in 6 weeks. Perfect timing for him to open the Other Stage and a repeat of the amazing scenes from the Pyramid???

Www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4481066/amp/Rolf-Harris-released-prison-just-SIX-weeks.html

Fits him with him curating the Friday in the Kidz Field 

ill get my coat ! 

Edited by swede

Yeah this is in pretty poor taste. I'm not going to pretend I haven't made poor taste jokes at times myself, but those are usually around close friends who I know well enough to know it won't affect them. On the other hand there's a fairly high chance someone reading this will have been subjected to the kind of vile stuff Harris was put away for. Have a word with yourself. 

I am of the opinion that there is no subject that is off the cards when it comes to jokes but if your going to joke about something potentially offensive that that joke needs to be funny enough to offset the offence it causes 

For example it would be perfectly fine to make a joke about pedophiles but it needs to be so funny it's going to rupture my spleen from laughing 

This wasn't even close

I think the problem is unfunny people like yourself think you can hide yourself in the offensive to cover up how boring and unfunny you really are 

2 hours ago, Vth_Fish said:

Sure you wouldn't prefer U2 mate? Judging from your edge.

56 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I am of the opinion that there is no subject that is off the cards when it comes to jokes but if your going to joke about something potentially offensive that that joke needs to be funny enough to offset the offence it causes 

For example it would be perfectly fine to make a joke about pedophiles but it needs to be so funny it's going to rupture my spleen from laughing 

This wasn't even close

I think the problem is unfunny people like yourself think you can hide yourself in the offensive to cover up how boring and unfunny you really are

Bit far there, bit of a character assassination off this one post.

Misguided and disappointing post OP. 

2 hours ago, Vth_Fish said:

Btw - your down voting of my response (you might notice that I didn't down vote your OP - I actually never down vote, just a personal thing...), which was neither insulting nor rude, speaks volumes about your attitude to people's dislike of your misjudged words.

The mature and sensible approach might have been to come back on and just acknowledge that you'd mis-pitched your post. I'd have done that in a heartbeat if it had been me, as I'd have been mortified to have stirred up such negative responses from so many people on the board.

Just a thought.

Ben

1 hour ago, Upside down frowner said:

No limits with friends who you know their history, public forum....

This is the key. It may seem like this forum is just a load of mates having the crack together, but it's actually a public forum and you've no idea the backgrounds of people reading it, or how they might be affected.

For me, it's not about taste, it's about context.

I can only imagine the level of excitement felt when some saw this thread and knew they were about to have free reign to be outraged, offended and morally superior all in one go. 

Sub-standard initial joke followed by a few (not all) totally over the top keyboard-warrior-esque replies. Get yourselves along to a newspaper comments section, you'll have a blast.