Potentially emotional moments

swede

I was supposed to be seeing Radiohead for the first time ever last summer at Lolla Berlin, probably shaping itself up to be my most highly anticipated gig ever. Long story cut short, but serious illness and a severe panic attack later and I didn't catch my flight, missing out and being left pretty damn depressed reading all the rave reviews online. 

One month later and my friends and I are trying for Glasto tickets for the first time ever, we get close to giving up and 5 minutes before they sell out one of us gets through and bags all four. A few weeks after that and Radiohead are announced to headline my first ever Glastonbury.

Now yes we have a lot of debate over what their setlist will be, but hell, if / when they play either Karma Police and / or HTDC on my first night in front of the Pyramid Stage forgive me for having a wee moment to myself. Fate works in funny ways!  

• Upvote 4

It won't be a specific song, it'll be a specific moment for me, and I know that it will creep up on me and hit me right in the feels without me seeing it coming.

There will be a moment, at what act I am still unsure, where I notice that all of my closest mates that I've known since I was 11 and have grown up with ever since, are around me all laughing, dancing and drinking. Then the realisation that with me going to New Zealand at the end of the summer, possibly indefinitely, this very well might be the last time it'll happen with me involved for a long time will land like a right hook across my happy face.

I will have to take a step back away from the group in that moment and collect myself. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mjsell said:

It won't be a specific song, it'll be a specific moment for me, and I know that it will creep up on me and hit me right in the feels without me seeing it coming.

aye this is how I've found it the last couple years. The Joanna Cox Tribute/Portishead S.O.S cover on the pyramid last year and singing happy birthday to the Dalai Lama the year before were both very emotional moments

The fact that I'm welling up just reading this thread tells you everything you need to know, I think. Emmylou will be a killer, as will Fake Plastic Trees. 

The worst thing will be leaving. Walking out through gate A to board a bus to the station late on Monday afternoon, knowing I'm not going to be back for two years is going to be very hard indeed. 

37 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The worst thing will be leaving. Walking out through gate A to board a bus to the station late on Monday afternoon, knowing I'm not going to be back for two years is going to be very hard indeed. 

Amen to that, sister

It's either gonna be tears of joy as I am finally seeing my hero #rightbazza live at my favourite stage in the world...

...or tears of defeat having to watch my hero #rightbazza live at my favourite stage in the world on the telly. Not sure if I'd be ready to watch his set live if I don't get tickets.

I haven't talked about this here...

This year was the first time we've been able to go for a long time, and my son's first Glastonbury. I was ecstatic to get coach tickets within a few minutes - we were going! Within a week our world was thrown upside down. My wife was diagnosed with cancer.

It's been a very difficult winter. The treatment was horrendous and it's hard being strong and carrying on as normal when you don't know what the future holds.

Whilst a music festival is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and it seemed unlikely we'd now be going, it was the one thing I had to cling to as my escape from the situation. I didn't lose hope of going and you lovely efestival posters have unwittingly helped me enormously. 

A couple of months on and things have changed remarkably. The treatment was successful. We're definitely going! 

The one song that I clung to during that difficult time was Radiohead's 'The Numbers' - by no means a big favourite but it was apt, and if they play it I may lose it. That said, it's such a relief and joy to be there it could happen anytime. :)

• Upvote 42

59 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Whilst a music festival is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and it seemed unlikely we'd now be going, it was the one thing I had to cling to as my escape from the situation. I didn't lose hope of going and you lovely efestival posters have unwittingly helped me enormously. 

A couple of months on and things have changed remarkably. The treatment was successful. We're definitely going! 

Very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis HB, but very pleased to hear the treatment is working. I am in a similar situation with my wife, and the treatment is keeping the spread of the cancer at bay, but a diagnosis like this does change everything in a family's life.

And I would just say that while you could say that a music festival is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, Glastonbury is actually more than that to me. The place has legendary healing properties,  and it really does hold a spiritual value. The ethos of the festival and the friendship on these boards are such a positive force in many people's lives, including my own. Looking forward to this year's festival, with the amazing excitement build-up, has buoyed me up considerably in some of the darker times over the last months, and I know that the joy and freedom from care for those 5 days will be enough to keep me going for a good while once I'm back home again.

Really great that you're going, and I hope it's the best one yet for you all! 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Nah. 

My Lancastrian heritage and proper northern upbringing ensure that I don't have emotions. 

My Belfast upbringing ensures the same. 

Edited by Dave_c

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

I haven't talked about this here...

This year was the first time we've been able to go for a long time, and my son's first Glastonbury. I was ecstatic to get coach tickets within a few minutes - we were going! Within a week our world was thrown upside down. My wife was diagnosed with cancer.

It's been a very difficult winter. The treatment was horrendous and it's hard being strong and carrying on as normal when you don't know what the future holds.

The one song that I clung to during that difficult time was Radiohead's 'The Numbers' - by no means a big favourite but it was apt, and if they play it I may lose it. That said, it's such a relief and joy to be there it could happen anytime. :)

Fantastic news for your wife and you and friends and family enjoy enjoy enjoy 

• Upvote 1

It's not a song that will get me. I'm going to fight it hard, but there's going to be a few moments when being away from my wife is going to hit me like a ton of shit, and I may well cry. Apart from my brief spell in hospital a few years back, we have never spent a night apart since we first hooked up together. Nowadays we virtually don't spend any time apart at all. I know that I'm being a bit of a big girls blouse, but even though it's Glastonbury, I know there's going to be moments when I seriously question what I'm doing at the festival instead of being with my wife.

In connection with the above I'm kind of formulating an action plan. A few days before the festival I'm going to kind of meditate on why I'm going to Glastonbury, what's so good about it, that it will probably be my last Glastonbury so it needs to be enjoyed etc etc. On top of this I'm going to talk to my wife about those potential crying moments, to see what her advice is - which will probably be something along the lines of stop being such a cry baby bunting, grow up, and drop a few more e's you fucking daft prat.

15 hours ago, McCor said:

All The Wine - The National

Loyle Carner - Florence 

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

not sure that you will get All The Wine tbh, ive never heard them play it live... 

however, i will be the bloke hugging his wife and blubbing during I Need My Girl...

1 hour ago, billum said:

Very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis HB, but very pleased to hear the treatment is working. I am in a similar situation with my wife, and the treatment is keeping the spread of the cancer at bay, but a diagnosis like this does change everything in a family's life.

And I would just say that while you could say that a music festival is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, Glastonbury is actually more than that to me. The place has legendary healing properties,  and it really does hold a spiritual value. The ethos of the festival and the friendship on these boards are such a positive force in many people's lives, including my own. Looking forward to this year's festival, with the amazing excitement build-up, has buoyed me up considerably in some of the darker times over the last months, and I know that the joy and freedom from care for those 5 days will be enough to keep me going for a good while once I'm back home again.

Really great that you're going, and I hope it's the best one yet for you all! 

Thank you billum. It is a special place for sure! Wishing your wife and you all the best, here's to a great Glastonbury. 

:)

• Upvote 1