Festaff crew

GrumpyRaver

7 hours ago, Smexytime said:

Anyone know how to get any work with them over the festival? I would like to try to apply etc as was unlucky with tickets and haven't got an issue with helping out.

sorry but you have no chance with them - ' its a Buyer's Market ' - You should have started looking Months ago - I had to clock up 25 Years WBC Volunteer Experience before I could be certain of a place so I knew 100% last June that there would be a place for me this year - there is still jobs but " they go in a flash"  - unless you have a unique Skill you should have started looking 5 or 6 Months ago - even the Wait Lists are Closed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's nearly time!

The email received a couple of weeks back says to arrive on site on Monday between 2pm and 6pm so I'm aiming to arrive around 2, traffic dependent. 

1 thing I notice is it says not to drink when you have your Festaff high vis on, yet it also says that you must wear the high vis at all times on site before the gates open to the public on Wednesday?! So we can't have a mooch around the staff bars until Wednesday? Can any Festaff veterans shed any light?

I'm going on my own so look forward to meeting anyone else who is going with Festaff :)

Cheers

Karl

I've not worked for Festaff, but regarding the hi-vis thing, I think it'll be essentially the same standard policy as Oxfam have -

Any Festival site/arena is officially a construction zone right up until it gets signed off by H&S - and typically this happens really late on, often just minutes before it opens to the public as some of the things they're most concerned about are often the last things to be put in place as otherwise they get in the way of the build (some fences, safety coverings, etc) and there's construction equipment and other vehicles operating. So official policy is usually that when on site before public gates open, you wear hi-vis at all times to identify yourself and be visible. Then when the site opens to the public the rules reverse, and you only wear hi-vis when you're on shift (as at that point you become a representative of the organisation).

The rule mainly exists to cover them if you get run over by a tractor or something and is often ignored in practice especially at Glastonbury where there's so many people on site so far ahead of gates opening.. Festaff may advise you specifically about how they want to play it, but you'll definitely be able to go on site, and you'll definitely be able to have a drink (with the proviso that you're sober when your shifts start of course).

2 minutes ago, karl3 said:

Thanks for coming back, sounds promising. I really want to have a good look around site prior to the gates opening Wednesday so looks like no problems in doing that :)

You'll see it all, apart from backstage areas unless you can blag it, one thing I remember from last year is England were playing on the Tuesday/wednesday and I've never seen so many people crowded around 32inch TV, was good to see.

31 minutes ago, Cnr_22 said:

You'll see it all, apart from backstage areas unless you can blag it, one thing I remember from last year is England were playing on the Tuesday/wednesday and I've never seen so many people crowded around 32inch TV, was good to see.

Brilliant, it'll be good to see things from the other side. Can't wait now, must be get back to work after a very long lunch 'hour'!

• 3 weeks later...

Big shout to all the Gate A wristbanders. Had a fantastic time working there this year and all our fellow Festaff team were great company. 

My mate and I loved welcoming people through the door, particularly all the great banter with pretty much every single person we came in contact with. Seeing the excitement on everyone's faces after the stress of the queues, security searches, ticket verification, was so uplifting and made the simple job of putting a wristband on someone's arm such a joy. Just having a couple of minutes with so many excited Glasto goers over the course of the weekend made it such a rewarding experience, we can't imagine doing Glasto any other way now.  

If you came in through Gate A I hope we all made you feel welcome as you hit that home straight into the festival.