Queing Overnight - needed?

mrfunk

10 hours ago, mrfunk said:

I've done the overnight queing thing, for a few years now... and hate it so much... feeling spannered for days after.

Last year arrived Weds night, (Train), my buddy had set up tent in Paines (old Dairy) and did the Tuesday overnight queing bollox. Good man.

Im looking to camp in Paines, taking a 5man tent  ..  what is a good time to arrive to in the queue, without worrying about trying to find a space... was thinking of arriving say 7am ?

I know gate D is a ballache, but even with the overnight que in 2015, the queing seemed to fly through the gate..  

Whats your experiences, advice?

Funk 

The only reason I'm queuing in that car park from 9pm is because we have such a large group and all of our lot wanna camp on big ground. It does take it out of you, but at the same time. Its more glasto time!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we arrived around 8am in 2015, queued for 2.5hrs (Gate D) and had space for 3 x 4man tents together in Paines (or Dairy as it was then).

if it's just one 5man tent, I wouldn't bother queuing overnight. have a good night's sleep, a decent breakfast, and get there for around 9am.

having said that, queuing overnight in the cold and being sleep deprived on the Wednesday is pretty much my idea of hell anyway, so I'd rather camp a little further away in somewhere with oodles of space on Wednesday afternoon like South Park, than be wrecked for Wednesday.

Thing is, I've never really been wrecked for the Wednesday, nor had any repercussions like multi-day headaches as mentioned earlier, I get set up, get an hour nap somewhere during the day and that does the job.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy your festival, no one is an idiot for doing things the way that suits them, don't listen to the miserable old goats who try and tell you otherwise.

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

I admire all you overnight Tuesday queue people, but I also think you're bonkers!

There is no way I could survive the weekend if I started with an all-nighter on the Tuesday. Too old.

That's pretty much me 'n' all. I aim to get there around lunchtime/early afternoon.

I like the idea that Green Man have of a "Settler's Pass" which lets you on site all week, nothing on just a chance to chill out in advance in some pretty scenery. Could it work at Glastonbury?

I'm surprised there isn't more people who befriend those staying in a campervan field on the Tuesday evening and ask to kip in their awnings / put up a pop up tent for the night.

Those in the queue who have waited through the night really don't gain much on those who get a decent nights kip then queue from a reasonable time!

Last year I stayed in Yeovil on Tuesday night, left around 5.30/6.00 and was parked up by 7.30 in West car park. Breezed through the queue and was setting up the tent by 9am.

Losing a good nights sleep for the sake of an extra hour on site doesn't seem worth it to me.

3 hours ago, mazola said:

I think the football on the wednesday afternoon in 2010 kick started the rush to get there early instead of a steady flow all day, and it has just stayed that way since.

^ this is so true. Coupled with the 2010 weather.

I can't get my head around those who queue over night.  People queuing for 8-9 hours to avoid having to queue for 2-3 the next day is an odd one to me.

A lot of last year's traffic chaos was caused, or at least made worse, by people setting off far earlier than they need to.  It's just going to get worse as time goes on.  People will arrive at 10pm on Tuesday and be disappointed that the queue is already bigger than expected so they will get there at 8pm the next year and so on.  

The gates open at 8am on Wednesday.  Arrive at a sensible time and you'll find somewhere decent to camp and be ready to start the weekend properly.

I get what you're all saying, there's no way I'd want to queue overnight either.  However, the overnight thing was introduced to get as much traffic off the roads as possible in the morning, so I guess it's a good thing that some young souls are willing to do it.

7 minutes ago, RyanS said:

I can't get my head around those who queue over night.  People queuing for 8-9 hours to avoid having to queue for 2-3 the next day is an odd one to me.

A lot of last year's traffic chaos was caused, or at least made worse, by people setting off far earlier than they need to.  It's just going to get worse as time goes on.  People will arrive at 10pm on Tuesday and be disappointed that the queue is already bigger than expected so they will get there at 8pm the next year and so on.  

The gates open at 8am on Wednesday.  Arrive at a sensible time and you'll find somewhere decent to camp and be ready to start the weekend properly.

We mostly queue to get our desired camping area, rather than avoid the queue the next day :)

5 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I get what you're all saying, there's no way I'd want to queue overnight either.  However, the overnight thing was introduced to get as much traffic off the roads as possible in the morning, so I guess it's a good thing that some young souls are willing to do it.

This

if everyone aimed to turn up for the first 4 hours of opening the roads would be a standstill. I've queued up from 8pm Tuesday night previously and it is good fun, everyone's excited and I manage to get a few hours kip then once I'm in and set up camp I might have another's hours kip. 

Ive also got the train there and bus there so arrived between midday Wednesday and midday Thursday, not one way is better than others, just personal preference. 

This year we will be staying in an air bnb in Glastonbury on the Tuesday so will probably drive in around 10am and hopefully shouldn't have to long to queue up then. 

3 hours ago, Flysheet said:

Stayed at Wookey Hole last year on the Tuesday night. Up at 5, went to Shepton M, looked at car queue, drove to west side of Glastonbury and looked at that queue and ended up near Cannards Grave about 6.30 I think. Didn't move much by 7.30 so walked in to Gate C with a tent and there was no queue at 9am.

Some cars had been in queue all night though due to car park closure and we were moving much quicker on foot! 

This year staying in Stratton just north of Shepton so expect to be joining queue again at Cannards!

I don't know if you are aware but if you are coming from that direction you shouldn't go past Cannards I advise going along the A37 and taking a right at B3136 right through Shepton Mallet follow it until you get to the A361 turn right and about 1/2mile to Pilton from there. If you look at a map it will be pretty clear it's a massive shortcut 

I camp in Big Ground and have done so the last two years (foolishly camped in Oxlyers my first year), I arrive about 7:45am at gate A and walk straight in (especially last year). All in my group is about 25 people and the last two years we have all managed to get into Big Ground with us all arriving between 8am through to about 11am, however we don't mind not camping right next to each other but we're usually within shouting distance. I couldn't hack staying up all night as an intro to Glastonbury, it'd be like starting on a twisted ankle.

You should be fine arriving later in Paines with one tent. We queue overnight because we camp there but have a group of about 10-12 tents to get together. We could probably squeeze in somewhere if we came later but like the choice of spots when we arrive early.

Edited by evilduck

3 hours ago, M_Il said:

I don't know if you are aware but if you are coming from that direction you shouldn't go past Cannards I advise going along the A37 and taking a right at B3136 right through Shepton Mallet follow it until you get to the A361 turn right and about 1/2mile to Pilton from there. If you look at a map it will be pretty clear it's a massive shortcut 

Can see that, but the vehicle entrance was at Pylle Breakers Yard and the traffic was stretching back from there. No good going to Pilton with a car or we'd have been at Gate A on the wrong side of the site. 

Coming from Stratton on the Fosse this year which links up to the 37 north of Shepton so all advice gratefully accepted!

I don't know if it's different on the gates which are just for the car parks but I usually get a coach first first thing on Wednesday morning and don't have to wait long at all on Gate A - 30-45 minutes the first few times I went but literally just walked in last year. We don't tend to go for one of the plum camping spots but probably could have, last year especially.

It's not something I could do, only because I wouldn't be able to sleep in the queue as I find it really hard to sleep and I wouldn't be able to sleep at all that day for the same reason, so I'd be wiped out for Wednesday evening. So whatever I gained Tuesday I'd just lose later on.

I can fully see the benefit for anybody younger or who doesn't need much sleep doing it though, it's one day of missed sleep vs 5 days of camping where you want with all your friends, vs a good nights sleep but 5 nights/days with some sort of compromise on your camping spot.

1 hour ago, Flysheet said:

Can see that, but the vehicle entrance was at Pylle Breakers Yard and the traffic was stretching back from there. No good going to Pilton with a car or we'd have been at Gate A on the wrong side of the site. 

Coming from Stratton on the Fosse this year which links up to the 37 north of Shepton so all advice gratefully accepted!

Oh I see now.