Lady in mid 50's 1st time lots to ask please

babyblade41

you are all amazing peeps... my daughter visited yesterday and as this will be her 5th Glastonbury I was telling her all about the wonderful people here... the roles are reversed as she was worried about me going on my own but after telling her what info I have she is a lot happier xxx

All of the above - and invest in a lightweight portable chair. It'll save the legs! You can leave it in the Pennards lock-up (which is just down the hill from Pennard's Gate, where you enter the festival from Worthy View) if you don't want to lug it around all day. I've just invested in a Vango Microlite Tall chair http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/furniture/288-microlite-tall-chair.html. I'm just a little younger than you and this will be my 11th Glastonbury, 4th time camping at Worthy View. xx

On 07/05/2017 at 8:17 AM, JacquelineS said:

I am 63, and coming from Canada on my own. I am staying at Tangerine Fields though. It was available sooner and I was afraid I might miss out on Worthy View. They also provide sleeping bags and mats so that's another two things I will not have to schlep  onto the site.  I am just worried about the walk back at night though. Can anyone tell me how far it is to the Gate B I think it is? 

Hi Jacqueline- don't worry it doesn't get completely dark and there are lights up the main pathways through Big Ground or Muddy Lane up to Gate B from the Pyramid/Williams Green area. There will be plenty of other people walking up that way , especially after the main headliners ( in fact too many!) but Glastonbury never sleeps really- it gets dark about 10pm and light about 4am  at mid summer. It is also safe to walk about on your own and there are lots of stewards/and  the campsite crews are around too. You will have a great time - just make sure you have a good old wander around the other bits of the site as well as the music stages. Pace yourself and rest up if you get tired! If you come onto site for the whole day and can't be bothered to go back up to TF you can store any warmer clothing for the evening or wellies in one of the lock ups and just pick them up when you need them. 

Hope you enjoy your time! :) 

10 hours ago, sedra said:

Hi Jacqueline- don't worry it doesn't get completely dark and there are lights up the main pathways through Big Ground or Muddy Lane up to Gate B from the Pyramid/Williams Green area. There will be plenty of other people walking up that way , especially after the main headliners ( in fact too many!) but Glastonbury never sleeps really- it gets dark about 10pm and light about 4am  at mid summer. It is also safe to walk about on your own and there are lots of stewards/and  the campsite crews are around too. You will have a great time - just make sure you have a good old wander around the other bits of the site as well as the music stages. Pace yourself and rest up if you get tired! If you come onto site for the whole day and can't be bothered to go back up to TF you can store any warmer clothing for the evening or wellies in one of the lock ups and just pick them up when you need them. 

Hope you enancejoy your time! :) 

That is reassuring. I am bringing a small backpack with as well as  the larger one so I will bring the small one with me and stay on site all day only returning to Tangerine Fields when it is time for bed. Having the lockups available is a good thing as well. That way I can leave whatever I do not want to carry around. For instance i was thinking that during the day my small festival chair would be handy but at night not so much, so and I can leave it with my pack while I enjoy the various stages. I did book a late lunch at the Diner in Shangri- La so that guarantees at least one long walk. ;) 

Edited by JacquelineS

5 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

That is reassuring. I am bringing a small backpack with as well as  the larger one so I will bring the small one with me and stay on site all day only returning to Tangerine Fields when it is time for bed. Having the lockups available is a good thing as well. That way I can leave whatever I do not want to carry around. For instance i was thinking that during the day my small festival chair would be handy but at night not so much, so and I can leave it with my pack while I enjoy the various stages. I did book a late lunch at the Diner in Shangri- La so that guarantees at least one long walk. ;) 

That sounds a great plan! The lock ups are 24 hours so you can just leave your chair there overnight if need be. I'm not sure when you plan to arrive but Weds and Thurs are good days to wander about and get your bearings as the site is so huge. I usually walk round the whole site and spend time up at the Greenfields/Craft/Avalon area where there is stuff going on and round the markets and wandering up to the top of the Park by the sign - and there is usually music going on at the smaller stages in those on Weds and Thursday too. 

On 5/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, Mamajules said:

I stayed at a very wet Glastonbury last year - aged 52. It was also my first time ever camping in my life. I stayed at Worthy View which was fab. A very well run and friendly site - also directions there are easy - follow their own site. There's a coffee & lovely cafe area and great views over the festival too at night. Loos there are fine and showers too. Honestly a great tip I got off a blog last year was to invest in a few packs of Travel Johns (google them!) as I seriously didn't fancy walking out to the loos late at night etc. Take loads of bin bags, kitchen rolls and gaffer tape as they all come in useful in some way. Light up your tent at night with solar powered fairy lights to help guide you back when you are weary/drunk/both. Generally everyone is up for a good festival experience. By the way Worthy View is up a very steep hill but there is a good step way carved out with railings and you can just take your time if a bit knackered. Enjoy yourself. x

I stayed in wv last year first time 53 now . My wife and I had a fantastic time one of best things I've ever done . Hill is steep but just take time . When you go to main site on morningtake everything with you  as u won't go back till end of day.  Wv is safe and friendly . After headliners it can be very busy . If you ever get a bit overwhelmed  just stop and let crowd thin out . Don't over plan take a bag with coat  and water . Food is great and varied but not cheap . Glastonbury is enormous so be prepared for lot of walking but stop whenever the mood takes you . Enjoy enjoy enjoy 

Better also tell hubby to expect lots of excited texts followed by plenty of radio silence.

Then strange calls at what ever time in the morning, in which you try to explain Shangri-la to him

the teary call about how you are sat at the top of a hill and it's like one big city full of wonderful people

The oddly worded texts as the next cocktail kicks in.

Odd texts about hugging trolls, and the strange Monkey people

The one where you tell him he has to go next time.

I would warn him before you go :)

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Better also tell hubby to expect lots of excited texts followed by plenty of radio silence.

Then strange calls at what ever time in the morning, in which you try to explain Shangri-la to him

the teary call about how you are sat at the top of a hill and it's like one big city full of wonderful people

The oddly worded texts as the next cocktail kicks in.

Odd texts about hugging trolls, and the strange Monkey people

The one where you tell him he has to go next time.

I would warn him before you go :)

That is very funny and more than probably true... I'm not that used to texting especially without my glasses ...I will report random txts when I get back . No hubby won't go, it's his worse nightmare also one of us has to stay home to look after the menagerie  and it's not going to be me 

On 25/05/2017 at 4:45 PM, shuttlep said:

Don't try and do too much.

just go with the flow

i have two or three people i want to see and will go on my own if I have to other than that i just bimble

I am quite liking the solo bit as so many times I have had to go/do what others want and up missing what I want 

3 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

I am quite liking the solo bit as so many times I have had to go/do what others want and up missing what I want 

So far this festival I have 4 must sees , apart from that I'll see what happens 

On 3/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, babyblade41 said:

My music tastes are not the norm for Glastonbury as I'm a long term old heavy rock festival goer in the early 80's in the genre of Iron Maiden , ACDC et al... I just wanted to experience something new 

You know that Napalm Death are playing?

Should be quite something as metal has been underrepresented at Glasontbury.

Have a great time!

On 3/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, babyblade41 said:

My music tastes are not the norm for Glastonbury as I'm a long term old heavy rock festival goer in the early 80's in the genre of Iron Maiden , ACDC et al... I just wanted to experience something new 

You know that Napalm Death are playing? Should be quite something as metal has been underrepresented at Glastonbury.

Have a great time!