The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its a cracker. I'm loving these longer tunes at the moment. War on Drugs, Blackened Cities by Melanie De Biasio, Truth by Kamasi Washington 3 of my favourite songs of the last year or so. 3 tunes clocking in at 50 minutes ish combined. 

Yup I think the Kamasi one is a stunner as well. With him only releasing an EP this year, listening to it might be a bit more manageable than The Epic. Will put De Biasio on the list to listen to later.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Yep absolutely brill on the pyramid, and I think at the roundhouse around about the same time. 

But ally pally really boils my piss. Had so many bad experiences there.

I went back there last month for first time in about 10 years to see Underworld. It had marginally improved (the actual gig was great) but the queues for literally everything in there were just horrific.

They did serve beer in double pint glasses though which kinda made up for the time spent waiting. £10 mind 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Still just me that thinks the Pyramid set was pretty good, but nothing to ring the firebell about.

Nah, it was pretty good as you say with sweet moments but it was early and the battle between rain and sun was a pisstake for me. The stompbox that makes the sun break through the clouds is pretty nifty but he should only press it once per set. My hood was going up and down as quick as that of the lead singer of Cabbage.

1 minute ago, picicata said:

It always surprises me how much Under The Pressure sounds like Dire Straits

Yet whenever I think "everyone says The War on Drugs sounds like Dire Straits, maybe I should listen to some Dire Straits" I just can't find anything that sounds like them. :lol: Any recommendations?

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Still just me that thinks the Pyramid set was pretty good, but nothing to ring the firebell about.

True, nothing groundbreaking but the combination of it being my first ever Pyramid set and being able to get so close to the stage added to it for me.

30 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Dire straits best album is probably love over gold for me. The opening track, Telegraph road is a bit war on drugsy in that it's over 13 minutes long and has a fair few guital solos in it. 

Also Brothers in Arms is great, but you have to get past the obvious opening trio before it gets really good. 

Making movies has Tunnel of love which is a bit like acousticy WOD I suppose. 

Will have a gander, cheers.

20 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Not that it was ever that high, but my e-festivals street cred taking a huge nosedive this weekend with my espousal of Queen and Dire Straits, no doubt. 

9) Pablo Honey

Does that help?

Eh I dunno who to trust on eFests anymore. Craig David and Busted, for example, seem widely derided choices for other festivals but when they're at Glasto it's all gimme gimme.

Radiohead are for people that don't care about looking cool, or at least people that shouldn't try.

Edited by dentalplan

I'm not fussed about The Craigster or the McBusted hitmakers, but they just represent another point on the continuum of choice that you get at the G.  

If anything the proof that you can go and see them *or* some MAH-approved darklord who releaaes grime that sounds like it was produced at the bottom of an oil sump shows that all is right with the world.

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Your 50 odd year old rocker who plays air guitar at weddings and wears double denim and a tie round his head (@Gnomicide) will like WOD. 

I've always been surprised by some of the people who like WOD (in real life and on here) but would turn their nose up at the Knopfler noodlings on Sultans of Swing. 

Are you watching me?

Anyway, I'm indifferent to both Dire Straights (Neil's late with his Chris Rea joke) and WOD.

Too much noodling in general.

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not fussed about The Craigster or the McBusted hitmakers, but they just represent another point on the continuum of choice that you get at the G.  

If anything the proof that you can go and see them *or* some MAH-approved darklord who releaaes grime that sounds like it was produced at the bottom of an oil sump shows that all is right with the world.

No doubt there's a place at the festival. It's just befuddling that you can have people pawing thru the cutting edge of music for months while all sorts of town fayres are throwing early 2000's pop across the plate and when it comes to the crunch at Glasto people are like "moff to see Scouting for Girls now".

18 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

As are dire straits.

Unless double denim and lumberjack shirts are cool again.

Which is probably where the WOD/Straits comparisons come from. It's more that Straits fans are gonna like them and dress like them rather than the music being the same. There's not so much of the of the tape loops and effects or the ambient between-song soundscapes in Dire Straits.  Your 50 odd year old rocker who plays air guitar at weddings and wears double denim and a tie round his head (@Gnomicide) will like WOD. 

I've always been surprised by some of the people who like WOD (in real life and on here) but would turn their nose up at the Knopfler noodlings on Sultans of Swing. 

When I wanna find out if something's cool I google Kendall Jenner and whatever it is. Lumberjack shirts and double denim both pass the test. She also says House of Cards by Radiohead is her favourite song so I don't know if that's a good barometer.

I've recently lent more of an ear to U2 than I ever have before, previously thinking they were totally naff (growing up while they were totally naff I guess) but all my favourite bands worship them. So I've been actively looking to do the same with others, so here I am with Dire Straits cued up.

I agree with all the positive comments about The War On Drugs above; I want to say that I've met The War On Drugs fanbase from Israel and Colombia at Rock Werchter 2015 , and they were probably the most fantastic people I've met at any festival. The colours in TWOD music are totally palpable in their way to be.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yet whenever I think "everyone says The War on Drugs sounds like Dire Straits, maybe I should listen to some Dire Straits" I just can't find anything that sounds like them. :lol: Any recommendations?

Listento Alchemy - live album with epic Telegraph Road, Sultans, Private Investigations basically all the best of their stuff pre Money for Nowt

20 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

Listento Alchemy - live album with epic Telegraph Road, Sultans, Private Investigations basically all the best of their stuff pre Money for Nowt

I think Alchemy is one of the 'great' live albums....punch the air stuff.

49 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

Cheers. I gave Love Over Gold a go this afternoon after @Scruffylovemonster's suggestion and I could see the similarities but they're not striking. I think the biggest similarity was the voice, and obviously that belongs to neither Granduciel or Knopfler cos it's #DylanVoice innit. Good album though - although I have no earthly idea why they slotted Industrial Disease in the middle. 

Will check out the live cut when I've got to grips with their stuff around the era.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

What's the song called? Not having any luck googling it.

Yeah that piqued my curiosity too. I wanted to build my own Interpol. :lol: