The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

Couldn't find another thread about these lads that wasn't archived but they're a big deal these days so figured I'd start one. Obviously won't be at the festival this year but they've just announced a load of new dates later in the year so along with the new song we can't be far off an album announcement.

UK dates are

Barrowlands - 9/11/17
Barrowlands - 10/11/17
O2 Apollo Manchester - 12/11/17
Alexandra Palace - 14/11/17

Definitely room for an extra date or two at Ally Pally either side of it too.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

They did yeah. They were great. Loudest gig I've heard in years on that stage. 

Was it cos it was the easiest to get close to?

14 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Couldn't find another thread about these lads that wasn't archived but they're a big deal these days so figured I'd start one. Obviously won't be at the festival this year but they've just announced a load of new dates later in the year so along with the new song we can't be far off an album announcement.

UK dates are

Barrowlands - 9/11/17
Barrowlands - 10/11/17
O2 Apollo Manchester - 12/11/17
Alexandra Palace - 14/11/17

Definitely room for an extra date or two at Ally Pally either side of it too.

Those tour dates suck.

Was anticipating as much but it's good to see them moving up the ranks. Possible Latitude headliner me thinks.

New album can't come soon enough. I want it in my car by the end of the summer.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Those tour dates suck.

Was anticipating as much but it's good to see them moving up the ranks. Possible Latitude headliner me thinks.

They played about 3 or 4 down the second stage, on the back of Lost in the Dream. Sub/3rd down mainstage would be possible I think, if the album's out by next year

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Those tour dates suck.

Who needs Glastonbury next year when we'll have the War on Drugs, Chvrches and Arcade Fire all at Latitude

10 minutes ago, evannn said:

They played about 3 or 4 down the second stage, on the back of Lost in the Dream. Sub/3rd down mainstage would be possible I think, if the album's out by next year

Nah that wasn't really based on the album's success. They played noon at Glasto as well that year. The next year they're headlining EOTR and subbing 2nd at T (which doesn't sound that impressive but it was the same as Alt-J and Jamie T were doing) and now they're announcing Ally Pally and stuff before the next album's even launched. Defo in the hat to headline mid-sized festivals and sub/third down at the massive ones.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No I was a bit further back. He just loves a bit of volume. 

Ah gotcha. Yeah to say a lot of people had a gripe that they weren't playing the Park Stage, they definitely went ahead and proved they're made for a big stage.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah gotcha. Yeah to say a lot of people had a gripe that they weren't playing the Park Stage, they definitely went ahead and proved they're made for a big stage.

That would've been a shame. The album is so big sounding. Pyramid perfect for them.

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That would've been a shame. The album is so big sounding. Pyramid perfect for them.

I think I was at Blondie, then just before they came on stage, I came to my senses and rushed off to catch War on Drugs- I do like it when you make a wise last minute decision (last most satisfying one was when I ditched Gorillaz at the last minute to go and see Flaming Lips in 2010)

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Didn't they play a few years back.. On the pyramid stage.. If it's the ones I'm thinking of they were good 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

They did yeah. They were great. Loudest gig I've heard in years on that stage. 

29 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

My thoughts exactly but I'll still go. Ace on the Pyramid a few years back :)

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep absolutely brill on the pyramid, and I think at the roundhouse around about the same time. 

But ally pally really boils my piss. Had so many bad experiences there.

They were great in 2014 on the pyramid one of many amazing new Glastonbury discoveries for me, ended up seeing them twice again on that tour in Bristol then in Nottingham, loves it. :D

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Nah that wasn't really based on the album's success. They played noon at Glasto as well that year. The next year they're headlining EOTR and subbing 2nd at T (which doesn't sound that impressive but it was the same as Alt-J and Jamie T were doing) and now they're announcing Ally Pally and stuff before the next album's even launched. Defo in the hat to headline mid-sized festivals and sub/third down at the massive ones.

I know it wasn't based on the success, but they didn't pack out the tent like many bands have done. The only way I could see them headlining is if the other two acts were huge (a bit like Fleet Foxes this year). 

Not to say they aren't good or ready for big stages but I don't think they're well known enough for a headline slot in front of ~30,000 people

54 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think I was at Blondie, then just before they came on stage, I came to my senses and rushed off to catch War on Drugs- I do like it when you make a wise last minute decision (last most satisfying one was when I ditched Gorillaz at the last minute to go and see Flaming Lips in 2010)

I did the exact same for both. Caught a couple of Blondie tunes and legged it. 

I left Gorillaz after 3-4 tunes like this.

giphy.gif

Tell you what, Thinking of a Place - at first I just thought "new War on Drugs, sounds like War on Drugs, great", but it is properly incredible. The key change on that first "hold my hand and something turns to me" verse melts my heart.

I was thinking this album, signing to Atlantic and all that, had potential to be Adam's Born in the U.S.A. (not such a bad thing obviously) but if it's all up there with Thinking of a Place then they might have even got better.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tell you what, Thinking of a Place - at first I just thought "new War on Drugs, sounds like War on Drugs, great", but it is properly incredible. The key change on that first "hold my hand and something turns to me" verse melts my heart.

I was thinking this album, signing to Atlantic and all that, had potential to be Adam's Born in the U.S.A. (not such a bad thing obviously) but if it's all up there with Thinking of a Place then they might have even got better.

Its a cracker. I'm loving these longer tunes at the moment. War on Drugs, Blackened Cities by Melanie De Biasio, Truth by Kamasi Washington 3 of my favourite songs of the last year or so. 3 tunes clocking in at 50 minutes ish combined.