The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Not hearing any tunes. Dips into soppy shite at times. 

Near impossible for any band to match the last record, which was flawless. This one is still pretty good. 4 biggies on there that will add to the setlist.

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Near impossible for any band to match the last record, which was flawless. This one is still pretty good. 4 biggies on there that will add to the setlist.

Indeed. Odd way of releasing an album, track by track nearly. No big "reveal" to enjoy this morning really. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Indeed. Odd way of releasing an album, track by track nearly. No big "reveal" to enjoy this morning really. 

Theyve lost a bit of the "Whoa!" from the last record. Parts of this sound like Phil Collins records.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:44 AM, Wooderson said:

Theyve lost a bit of the "Whoa!" from the last record. Parts of this sound like Phil Collins records.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, Homer said:

Get the above comment though - sounds a tad 80s somehow.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:31 AM, Homer said:

The fast songs are generally good; the slower ones he sounds like Bryan Adams.

80's, Phil Collins, Bryan Adams... how about Bruce Hornsby on the opener "Up All Night"? 

it also seems like they enjoyed their recent "Touch of Grey" cover on The National brothers' Dead tribute album so much to the point where they've recreated it again on one of their tracks on here...

It's great to see bands evolve, but I do miss some of the wall-of-sound effects on stuff like "City Reprise #12", "Original Slave", "Come to the City", etc..

Some decent stuff on here, it grew a bit over the weekend, it's a good album, but it's hardly going to have an "Ok Computer" effect which if you read some of the stuff in the US (New Yorker, Consequence of Sound) you'd think was imminently happening...

'best band in the world'....

Just now, tevaburger said:

80's, Phil Collins, Bryan Adams... how about Bruce Hornsby on the opener "Up All Night"? 

it also seems like they enjoyed their recent "Touch of Grey" cover on The National brothers' Dead tribute album so much to the point where they've recreated it again on one of their tracks on here...

It's great to see bands evolve, but I do miss some of the wall-of-sound effects on stuff like "City Reprise #12", "Original Slave", "Come to the City", etc..

Some decent stuff on here, it grew a bit over the weekend, it's a good album, but it's hardly going to have an "Ok Computer" effect which if you read some of the stuff in the US (New Yorker, Consequence of Sound) you'd think was imminently happening...

'best band in the world'....

I've gone off Bruce Hornsby - he just doesn't have the range any more ('joke' copyright my mate Tim).

On 8/25/2017 at 11:31 AM, Homer said:

The fast songs are generally good; the slower ones he sounds like Bryan Adams.

easy on knocking Bryan Adams and 'slower'...before Europe fell in love with his mega ballads he was just a above average guitar-strumming rock solo artist with a nice 3-album run (83-87) from 'Cuts Like a Knife' through 'Into The Fire' that was decent enough soundtrack for a teenager in that era, having to put up with the rubbish that was dominating UK charts in that time. It's the ballads that ruined him, most of which never did as well in North America as in the UK-rest-of-Europe...I'd have him play for me over Duran Duran, Culture Club, Lionel Richie, Spandau Ballet any day.... 

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

easy on knocking Bryan Adams and 'slower'...before Europe fell in love with his mega ballads he was just a above average guitar-strumming rock solo artist with a nice 3-album run (83-87) from 'Cuts Like a Knife' through 'Into The Fire' that was decent enough soundtrack for a teenager in that era, having to put up with the rubbish that was dominating UK charts in that time. It's the ballads that ruined him, most of which never did as well in North America as in the UK-rest-of-Europe...I'd have him play for me over Duran Duran, Culture Club, Lionel Richie, Spandau Ballet any day.... 

I went to see Duran Duran headline Bestival as there was nothing else on - and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed it (Girls on Film is a banger).

• 1 month later...