The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

21 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Another new one here. To be honest I haven't spent too much time with the two previous singles but I do really like both of them, seems like we're on course for another really solid album from this lot.

I haven't been rinsing them because I don't want to overfamiliarise and particular tracks taking precedence over the others when the album drops but all three have been excellent so that's unlikely to be a real problem. This is lowkey gonna be critics' album of the year and maybe dentalplan's too.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I haven't been rinsing them because I don't want to overfamiliarise and particular tracks taking precedence over the others when the album drops but all three have been excellent so that's unlikely to be a real problem. This is lowkey gonna be critics' album of the year and maybe dentalplan's too.

I don't think familiarity is something you're going to be able to avoid with these tunes.  They sound an awful like the band's previous work.

On 29/4/2017 at 9:12 PM, Woffy said:

Maybe a little misleading (apologies): Love Comes Tumbling from the 4 track Wide Awake In America CD 'single' / EP. 

That is an excellent track.

On the topic of U2 and the War On Drugs....  Article on WOD in the current issue of Uncut. Adam Granduciel finds himself at a dinner party at Jimmy Iovine's (as you do).  Paul McCartney is about to leave when Bono goes up to McCartney to point out Granduciel: "You see that guy? He made one of the best records of the year".

I like the War On Drugs. Saw them at the Pyramid. They are Waterboys fans too.

Edited by Watergirl

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Another great song

Bands need to cool it with these pre-release album tracks. I'm all for hearing new music,but it should never go above 3 songs/a quarter of the album. Ruins the emersion of the first listen through imo. 

That said, will definitely be giving this a listen once I'm home from work :P 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Bands need to cool it with these pre-release album tracks. I'm all for hearing new music,but it should never go above 3 songs/a quarter of the album. Ruins the emersion of the first listen through imo. 

I'm the same, when I saw they'd released another one I initially thought I'll leave it for the album then within half an hour I'd posted it on here :lol: 

On 5/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, Nduja said:

Under The Pressure

First Glasto moment that.

Under the Pressure and Come To The City both prime memories for me on the Pyramid...sounded immense. such a shame it's one of the few Pyramid sets without a quality recording/filming.

they had a long touring cycle for last record (saw them 4 times btw Mar 2014 to Oct 2015) but with timing now, I wonder if last weekend of June 2019 might be an idle time for them...2020 or '21 more likely?

On 7/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, Watergirl said:

That is an excellent track.

On the topic of U2 and the War On Drugs....  Article on WOD in the current issue of Uncut. Adam Granduciel finds himself at a dinner party at Jimmy Iovine's (as you do).  Paul McCartney is about to leave when Bono goes up to McCartney to point out Granduciel: "You see that guy? He made one of the best records of the year".

I like the War On Drugs. Saw them at the Pyramid. They are Waterboys fans too.

could have/should have been said at dinner parties back in 2011 as well....I still think the first post-Kurt Vile record is a stunning beauty

Edited by tevaburger

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I couldn't agree more. I've heard nothing but good things about the singles, but haven't listened to any myself yet, I don't want that "ohh I know this one" feeling for certain tracks when listening to the album for the first time.

Edited by e9t3

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

where did you listen to it? website has been down for hours.

I couldn't get on the site earlier so I used Floor's link without the googly bit, but I see that's not working now.

Apparently this is a satisfactory workaround; I guarantee you'll understand how to work it more than I do. :P

Edited by dentalplan

New album's good but it's not blowing me away. Usually when I'm disappointed in a follow up to an amazing album it's because it's veered off in a different direction, whereas here it's the complete opposite with the album just sounding too much like it's predecessor, just not quite as good, or should I say, just not as fresh. Knew it wasn't gonna be a major departure from the moment I heard Thinking of a Place, but didn't expect a near carbon copy. Still enjoying it, but I doubt it'll be getting as may plays as Lost in a Dream did, and I hope he can switch things up a bit more with the next one. Very glad I decided against listening to all of the pre-release tracks. In Chains my current highlight after a few listens.

:dontknow: I'm noticing differences over here. You can tell they've moved on to a major label in a way, and it's not even a bad thing. The production is nicer, you can hear all sorts of things popping off and I feel Adam hits the *epic* button more than he did on Lost in the Dream too; like the big moment on the previous album was the mid-point on Ocean Between the Waves and it really hits you, but now he's got like four of those on this album and if anything it waters it down for you because there's not just one peak, there's a whole range. :lol: Idk man, I'm loving it and I can't wait to take it out for a drive tomorrow.

Edited by dentalplan

On 8/4/2017 at 6:03 AM, FloorFiller said:

On 8/4/2017 at 1:34 PM, e9t3 said:

I couldn't agree more. I've heard nothing but good things about the singles, but haven't listened to any myself yet, I don't want that "ohh I know this one" feeling for certain tracks when listening to the album for the first time.

this bit from your (@FloorFiller) Arcade Fire piece that you linked to earlier on their thread perhaps explains why bands are doing it these days as Wyn says...  "We put out four songs, I think every two weeks. So the whole thing was two months basically, from when we released the first song. And that was probably two months sooner than someone on the label would tell you to do it. But the speed at which things come and go has hit such a point that under normal circumstances a record doesn’t stand much of a chance to have people hear it.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

New album's good but it's not blowing me away. Usually when I'm disappointed in a follow up to an amazing album it's because it's veered off in a different direction, whereas here it's the complete opposite with the album just sounding too much like it's predecessor, just not quite as good, or should I say, just not as fresh. Knew it wasn't gonna be a major departure from the moment I heard Thinking of a Place, but didn't expect a near carbon copy. Still enjoying it, but I doubt it'll be getting as may plays as Lost in a Dream did, and I hope he can switch things up a bit more with the next one. Very glad I decided against listening to all of the pre-release tracks. In Chains my current highlight after a few listens.

On 3rd listen now and I'm loving it  

I know exactly what you mean about it sounding a continuation from Lost in a Dream, but I for one am pleased it does. 

That album was almost perfect for me and had a serious amount of plays, so the fact that this is like another 10 songs from that album is perfect for me! No complaints at all  

I just feel like they have nailed what they are good at, and have found their sound and gap in the market - so it would be silly to alter too much and making a potentially mediocre album.