Fyre festival

maelzoid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39743303/fyre-festival-turns-from-luxury-to-disaster-with-ticket-holders-stranded-in-bahamas

The Fyre Festival in the Bahamas is exploding all over the news right now (and potentially in reality too...)

I'm not one for schadenfreude but in a way f*!k these idiots!

I am instantly suspicious anyone who makes this kind of claim: "a cultural moment created from a blend of music, art and food". As if this festival is going to somehow be significant other than a bunch of Birkenstock wearing trustafarians passing VD to each other while sobbing over how many likes their insta pics didn't get.  Actually, to be fair, it has now become something of a cultural moment...

Sure we all like laughing at naive rich people, but this is a ridiculous scam.

The thinking behind pulling a scam on the mega-rich, is that they won't want their reputation sullied by being in any way associated with such a disaster, and they won't ask for their money back.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Rumblings on social media that there's a PR stunt element to this - teaching the 'ignorant rich kids' to empathise with the refugee crisis, or something. I don't buy it but there you go. 

Seems a bit much - a really sad video with Kate Bush's 'This Woman's Work' playing over the top of it would've sufficed.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

10 grand a ticket..!!! Fuck 'em.

"up to 10 grand", which most attendees probably paid nowhere near.

i think it was $400 for a normal ticket or something like that?

10 grand comes from all the added on stuff, flights from the US to the islands, accom upgrades etc.

it's a bit like saying that a Glastonbury ticket costs 10 grand (if you include a helicopter trip, large yurt and champagne breakfast at Camp Kerala or Land&Sky etc).

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 hour ago, Simpo said:

The thinking behind pulling a scam on the mega-rich, is that they won't want their reputation sullied by being in any way associated with such a disaster, and they won't ask for their money back.

They probably shouldn't have a list of 'Attendees' on the festival site then!!

Edit - I saw that on a link via reddit - just tried googling the festival's main page and I'm not seeing the same thing - damn you reddit!

Edited by p.pete