Fyre festival

maelzoid

10 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

:lol: I didn't say I wasn't a massive hypocrite, besides that's laughing at the organisers incompetence.  I don't think they did it on purpose as a scam or anything btw, I think they were just in wayyyy over their heads.  Idiots.

It's probably what would happen if I was ever put in charge of organising a festival, unfortunately! :lol:

one of the quotes I read from a `disgruntled festival goer` read like this `this is like living in a refugee camp`.....umm no....no its not....not at all....and its disgusting in your little rich girl/boy lifestyle youd even try to equate the two.

This was a festival setup to attract the narcissistic, celeb obsessed, wealth flaunting modern day jet set.....and instead it took the piss out of them....do I feel sorry for them when I read quotes like the above? do I fuck!

its like all those z list celebs who spending thousands on vip camping sites etc and somehow get pictured in the tabloids  `enjoying` glastonbury yet somehow in full perfect makeup and fashion without a milimetre of mud on it despite the mudbath going on around them.......only itd be like the entire festival made up of just that type of person..........hell in other words...lol

Edited by waterfalls212434
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely the only people laughing here are the z lister twat who got paid the $250k? How many people actually fell for it and bought a ticket based on one instagram post? I've read reports that there were only something like 17 instagram posts from people actually there, I've no idea how many tickets they sold or if it was close to selling out, but it doesn't seem like it. The punters have been screwed, the organisers definitely will be, but not the person picking up $250k. I'm no marketing expert but paying that sort of money for an instagram post for a one off event seems like financial suicide in itself. Sure it might work for a product that can be sold indefinitely, but for a one off event that requires money to be paid out for performers and staff, stages etc etc. Complete lunacy.

given that there's very little stuff on social meegja from the island, my take is that there was almost no internet available on the island.

Which seems to be backed up by the story from someone who worked for the festival for 4 days, who had to go back to Miami to have a usable 'net connection for his work, linked to above.

11 hours ago, Crossfit Jesus said:

surely there's going to be no money to pay out to anyone, and those are really about lawyers playing for publicity &/or trying to hit the big time via involvement in an notorious case?

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Mr.Tease said:

Me! Having money doesn't mean you have to waste it! I would never pay £10,000 for Glastonbury even if I was rich!

Why would you be wasting it? - what else would you spend it on?  If you are prepared to spend (say) ~1% of your income on a ticket why would you not spend £10k if you earned £1m a year.  It would be the same percentage...

TBH this is aimed at an entirely different demographic than Glasto. I highly doubt that they'd see the value or enjoyment in sleeping in your own little pop up tent and wading through mud to watch someone like Tinariwen or Hobo Jones - I personally could think of nothing worse than living in "curated tents" listening to Blink 182 in amongst the spoiled, entitled Instragram crowd.

It's a different crowd of people who have been let down that would never affect Glastonbury and what it's about - live and let live. I don't gain any sense of schadenfreude from this - in fact I hope the organisers are duly shamed.

13 hours ago, timbrass said:

Why would you be wasting it? - what else would you spend it on?  If you are prepared to spend (say) ~1% of your income on a ticket why would you not spend £10k if you earned £1m a year.  It would be the same percentage...

If I were spending 10k on myself I'd rather go travelling for that kind of money- I'd definitely get more than 7 days worth of entertainment out of it. Couldn't see myself spending that much money on treats for myself though! 

• 3 months later...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7933891/starfest-next-fyre-festival-plano-texas-pulls-contract

Barmy but it looks like something similar is being attempted in Texas. Promoter puts tickets on sale at sky-high prices, promises major acts but says they'll be announced closer to the festival (it was only announced five weeks in advance of it supposedly taking place) along with loads of hyperbole, now looking certainly like they've started sales without a clue what the festival will have or be. Luckily being stamped out and I guess Fyre is fresh enough in the mind that authorities will look into stuff like this but it's still mad that there's folk willing to try it. Wonder when we'll get one.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...