Fyre festival

maelzoid

Weren't the $400 tickets day tickets with no transport included? More than a weekend pass to Coachella? The event was altogether priced at a different level to other festivals, there were no affordable options

It's a brilliantly awful execution in style over substance; the organisers didn't pay bands or even bother to look at hiring a stage until two months before the event yet paid $250,000 to Kendall Jenner for ONE Instagram post, the 'influencers' have shown that they'll unquestionably put their name to anything as long as the price is right and the people who have purchased tickets have invested thousands of dollars in the venture of a dodgy-dealing entrepreneur and a washed up rapper off the back of the endorsement of supermodels whose very purpose is to market fantasies

This whole escapade is operating on levels of irony and hubris that could be analysed by social theorists for many years to come; it's a fuck up of such monumental proportions that it's fuckupitude is worthy of academic study. Could you imagine fucking up so much that it joins a syllabus? That's why it's fucking hilarious.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

Weren't the $400 tickets day tickets with no transport included? More than a weekend pass to Coachella? The event was altogether priced at a different level to other festivals, there were no affordable options

It's a brilliantly awful execution in style over substance; the organisers didn't pay bands or even bother to look at hiring a stage until two months before the event yet paid $250,000 to Kendall Jenner for ONE Instagram post, the 'influencers' have shown that they'll unquestionably put their name to anything as long as the price is right and the people who have purchased tickets have invested thousands of dollars in the venture of a dodgy-dealing entrepreneur and a washed up rapper off the back of the endorsement of supermodels whose very purpose is to market fantasies

This whole escapade is operating on levels of irony and hubris that could be analysed by social theorists for many years to come; it's a fuck up of such monumental proportions that it's fuckupitude is worthy of academic study. Could you imagine fucking up so much that it joins a syllabus? That's why it's fucking hilarious.

I dunno b but the people that saved up to get a $400 day ticket clearly aren't rich and got stranded there all the same.

I've been appreciating the fuck up but I don't really fuck with blaming the ticketbuyers on this one. Like, maybe if it was just what you said about supermodels and Ja Rule.. but it had a strong music line up as well that for most people will have been the main reason.

Are people just straight up idiots for seeing a lineup and a location, publicised thru mainstream media outlets, thinking "I'd like to see this" and buying tickets without checking Companies' House? Or has it just all been spun in hindsight via some choice quotes and facts to make every attendee seem to be a vapid narcissist?

• Upvote 3

@dentalplan

To be honest if I saw a new event that I was interested in I'd take a look in to who is promoting it to see where my money was going

Also, the marketing for the festival was so centred on being an 'elite' event that it must have drawn in a crowd that bought in to that image and appealed to that demographic. I didn't see the event mentioned on music websites until it fell apart, it was mainly promoted through fashion blogs, etc.

Furthermore, anyone dropping $400 on a day ticket to a festival isn't poor and has too little concept of value for me to be convinced that they saved up to go; ultimately this was an event for the super-rich who probably incurred less than a week's income in financial damage for my weekend's entertainment

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

@dentalplan

To be honest if I saw a new event that I was interested in I'd take a look in to who is promoting it to see where my money was going

Also, the marketing for the festival was so centred on being an 'elite' event that it must have drawn in a crowd that bought in to that image and appealed to that demographic. I didn't see the event mentioned on music websites until it fell apart, it was mainly promoted through fashion blogs, etc.

Furthermore, anyone dropping $400 on a day ticket to a festival isn't poor and has too little concept of value for me to be convinced that they saved up to go; ultimately this was an event for the super-rich who probably incurred less than a week's income in financial damage for my weekend's entertainment

Fair points. But 'elite' and 'luxury' are really common positions, even Tesco Finest sausages.are premium items. Doesn't mean people deserve a human thumb instead of a sausage cos they dared pay more. :lol: 

Still, for me, rich or poor - there's not much call for merriment over the personal misfortune of others. Except for the dude behind it cos he's pretty fucked.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2017 at 7:57 AM, Mr.Tease said:

Some people will feel sorry for them, some won't. If you don't, it doesn't make you a modern day monster and if you do it doesn't make you a Saint (not that I'm saying you were making such proclamations!).

I think sometimes there's a thing on these boards and around glastonbury that you can only be all smiling and 'positive' all the time, and anything else is 'bad', and for me that can get a bit tedious and disingenuous - I prefer it when people are just real. Sarcasm, sneering, annoyance, anxiety, despair, grumpiness, sarcasm,  etc they add variety and much need humour, I think. 

Point taken, but I don't think there's any need for people to take pleasure in other peoples misfortune. 'if you can't say something nice...' and all that

• Upvote 1

'Fyre Festival faces $100m 'Lord of the Flies' lawsuit'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39775834

Can we agree to laugh at the organisers who must have known a week prior to everyone arriving that they wouldn't be prepared enough to host the festival and cancel before everyone arrived? Especially if such a law suit prevents a situation like this happening again? 

30 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And giving freebies to celeb types to "advertise" it, which may be illegal. 

I've seen comments saying they were giving "trend setters" $250,000 just for a post or two on instragram. 

It's not surprising those "trend setters" took the money, but who are the mugs falling for it? :blink:

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've seen comments saying they were giving "trend setters" $250,000 just for a post or two on instragram. 

It's not surprising those "trend setters" took the money, but who are the mugs falling for it? :blink:

I find it sickening that they can afford this type of marketing yet not afford the basic deliverables you'd expect at a festival, let alone the stupidly high standard promises they were making. 

I've read somewhere that they were depending too much on cheap local labour for construction of the festival. 

The people of the Bahamas are notoriously laid back when it comes to work (wouldn't you be too if you lived on an island paradise), they knew they were getting paid whether the job was getting done or not and not given a shit about getting the work done.

The organisers should have known this and planned to get outside contractors in to help prepare. Although I can't imagine who would want to do an easy construction job in the Bahamas.

40 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I find it sickening that they can afford this type of marketing yet not afford the basic deliverables you'd expect at a festival, let alone the stupidly high standard promises they were making. 

I find it just as sickening that people are mugs for it. If you're a marketing man's dream sucker you're guaranteed to get stung.

As some might say .... wake up sheeple!

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

People who like trend setters I guess. Usually bored thickos with too much cash. 

There are parts of America that are the most culturally vacuous on earth. 

They could've easily solved the whole fucking fiasco by flying in Bear Grylls and few portable TV cameras and announcing they were all part of an elaborate televised social / survival experiment and would be on telly and fairly popular and semi-famous for a few weeks. 

Let everyone keep their phones so they could Instagram the fuck out of everything and just tell 'em to crack on eating limpits and lizards and shitting in the sea for a bit. 

Then they'd have legitimate rights to bang on about what a transformative 'journey' it was.

Sorted.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Can we agree to laugh at the organisers who must have known a week prior to everyone arriving that they wouldn't be prepared enough to host the festival and cancel before everyone arrived? Especially if such a law suit prevents a situation like this happening again? 

Yep, that I will laugh at, I hope they get sued good and proper!

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Hands up who here wouldn't spend £10,000 on a guaranteed Glastonbury ticket if they could afford it?

Me! Having money doesn't mean you have to waste it! I would never pay £10,000 for Glastonbury even if I was rich!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Yep, that I will laugh at, I hope they get sued good and proper!

Laughing at others misfortune? I am appalled  :P;)

the organisers may have been spectacularly inept rather than cunning 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Laughing at others misfortune? I am appalled  :P;)

the organisers may have been spectacularly inept rather than cunning 

:lol: I didn't say I wasn't a massive hypocrite, besides that's laughing at the organisers incompetence.  I don't think they did it on purpose as a scam or anything btw, I think they were just in wayyyy over their heads.  Idiots.

Surely the only people laughing here are the z lister twat who got paid the $250k? How many people actually fell for it and bought a ticket based on one instagram post? I've read reports that there were only something like 17 instagram posts from people actually there, I've no idea how many tickets they sold or if it was close to selling out, but it doesn't seem like it. The punters have been screwed, the organisers definitely will be, but not the person picking up $250k. I'm no marketing expert but paying that sort of money for an instagram post for a one off event seems like financial suicide in itself. Sure it might work for a product that can be sold indefinitely, but for a one off event that requires money to be paid out for performers and staff, stages etc etc. Complete lunacy.