maelzoid

Fyre festival

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39743303/fyre-festival-turns-from-luxury-to-disaster-with-ticket-holders-stranded-in-bahamas

The Fyre Festival in the Bahamas is exploding all over the news right now (and potentially in reality too...)

I'm not one for schadenfreude but in a way f*!k these idiots!

I am instantly suspicious anyone who makes this kind of claim: "a cultural moment created from a blend of music, art and food". As if this festival is going to somehow be significant other than a bunch of Birkenstock wearing trustafarians passing VD to each other while sobbing over how many likes their insta pics didn't get.  Actually, to be fair, it has now become something of a cultural moment...

"Thank you for bearing with us as we work through the growing pains that every first year event experiences."

Some more than others chief, some more than others

Hard to feel sorry for someone called William Needham Finley the Fourth ain't it? 

`Actually his twitter feed is pretty funny 

Edited by MattDavies__

4 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

I'd recommend you all go on the subreddit for this. Its gold

Wouldn't have the first notion how and where to do that. Tried reddit years ago and it made my brain itch worse than 4 chan. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Difficult to work out what's real and what's just people on the wind up.

Pissing myself at it all regardless. Sounds like a monumental fuck up.

Sure we all like laughing at naive rich people, but this is a ridiculous scam.

The thinking behind pulling a scam on the mega-rich, is that they won't want their reputation sullied by being in any way associated with such a disaster, and they won't ask for their money back.

• Upvote 1

Rumblings on social media that there's a PR stunt element to this - teaching the 'ignorant rich kids' to empathise with the refugee crisis, or something. I don't buy it but there you go. 

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Rumblings on social media that there's a PR stunt element to this - teaching the 'ignorant rich kids' to empathise with the refugee crisis, or something. I don't buy it but there you go. 

Seems a bit much - a really sad video with Kate Bush's 'This Woman's Work' playing over the top of it would've sufficed.

Blink 182 pulled out of playing the festival yesterday. Apparently no acts or artists have been paid.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

10 grand a ticket..!!! Fuck 'em.

"up to 10 grand", which most attendees probably paid nowhere near.

i think it was $400 for a normal ticket or something like that?

10 grand comes from all the added on stuff, flights from the US to the islands, accom upgrades etc.

it's a bit like saying that a Glastonbury ticket costs 10 grand (if you include a helicopter trip, large yurt and champagne breakfast at Camp Kerala or Land&Sky etc).

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 hour ago, Simpo said:

The thinking behind pulling a scam on the mega-rich, is that they won't want their reputation sullied by being in any way associated with such a disaster, and they won't ask for their money back.

They probably shouldn't have a list of 'Attendees' on the festival site then!!

Edit - I saw that on a link via reddit - just tried googling the festival's main page and I'm not seeing the same thing - damn you reddit!

Edited by p.pete

9 minutes ago, Diva Sam said:

Blink 182 pulled out of playing the festival yesterday.

At least some things are going right for the attendees.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Considering that most people there are the so called  "rich kids of Instagram" there doesn't seem to be many videos posted anywhere!

11 hours ago, rzwodezwo said:

read with care though, it's been run over by 4chan nazis. :/

Reddit is the middle class 4chan.