Power Packs / Batteries

CaledonianGonzo

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Related to this, is there a dedicated festival phone thread? I'm looking for something new as I'm not really wanting to take my uninsured iPhone. 

It doesn't look like the re-release of the Nokia 3310 will be before Glasto, otherwise that would have been perfect - you wouldn't need to charge it for about a month! 

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

what happens if you use a fancy plug like that to charge your phone? will it burn it out? 

Do you need a special cable too? or is the one that comes with your phone ok?

they are fine for charging anything that uses a usb lead - they are autosensing, so only send the voltage that the device (or cable) can cope with.

It's worth buying some decent cables too - Anker do a pcak on amazon for five or so for about six quid - they will allow the best charging current - the cable that came with your phone may not allow more than the default 500ma

I have one with four ports plugged in 24/7 and usually have a few tablets / battery packs connected and charging.

Just now, daisylane said:

It doesn't look like the re-release of the Nokia 3310 will be before Glasto, otherwise that would have been perfect - you wouldn't need to charge it for about a month! 

I looked at that one, price would be around £50, I'd prefer to pick up an original for £20. 

Battery life is one consideration but I have a power bank so not crucial, I just want a cheap phone with twitter uber and facebook that can be dropped in the mud. 

17 minutes ago, paulshane said:

they are fine for charging anything that uses a usb lead - they are autosensing, so only send the voltage that the device (or cable) can cope with.

It's worth buying some decent cables too - Anker do a pcak on amazon for five or so for about six quid - they will allow the best charging current - the cable that came with your phone may not allow more than the default 500ma

I have one with four ports plugged in 24/7 and usually have a few tablets / battery packs connected and charging.

cheers. I've always presumed the plugs you get with your phone must be a load of old shit but I've never known what to get instead! I'll follow your advice.

I just took delivery of this one.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JIWQPMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it has a dual input port so you can charge from 2 plugs simultaneously to cut the charge time.  its a relatively expensive option for sure, but masssive capacity and Anker have served very well over the years and I don't have a low battery drain phone to take this year

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

oh ffs why did I have to read this! now I just dont know what to believe

We can both be right - kind of.  The important point is that if you're careful about what leads you buy, you won't go wrong.  A high end phone will already have the best lead, but you might get better charging performance for other phones if you buy a 3rd party lead.  As long as you're careful, it won't be any worse*.  You can always do some testing to see which is quicker.

*IMPORTANT: If you have USB-C (the non-Apple reversible kind), then do triple the amount of research, because the wrong lead can damage your phone.

What phone do you have?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We can both be right - kind of.  The important point is that if you're careful about what leads you buy, you won't go wrong.  A high end phone will already have the best lead, but you might get better charging performance for other phones if you buy a 3rd party lead.  As long as you're careful, it won't be any worse*.  You can always do some testing to see which is quicker.

*IMPORTANT: If you have USB-C (the non-Apple reversible kind), then do triple the amount of research, because the wrong lead can damage your phone.

What phone do you have?

I got a new phone 1 week ago, and it came with the fancy new USB-C cable, so I'm in the process of having to replace all my spare chargers!

Just now, russycarps said:

I got a new phone 1 week ago, and it came with the fancy new USB-C cable, so I'm in the process of having to replace all my spare chargers!

In that case, be very careful about what leads you buy:

http://gizmodo.com/cheap-usb-c-cables-could-kill-your-phone-or-laptop-1757115350

Mrs 2 hats has a USB-C phone and I daren't buy her a spare lead in case I blow up her phone.

3 hours ago, lobo said:

This guy has served me well at 3 festivals and numerous camping trips. Charged 3 iphones and a portable speaker over 5 days and still had one bar of power left monday morning.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-22400mAh-Capacity-Flashlight/dp/B00F5Q4F0U

This is the best mAh-to-pound value. And it has a flashlight built in.