First Time Driving

McCor

Today I've gone to book our National Express coach home to Oxford, only to see its sold out. So, I will be driving down. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Now that I have the luxury of heading down whenever I want, should we head off early doors wednesday morning?

2. Coming from Oxford, where are we likely to end up in terms of PG's?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. make sure you have snacks and water in the car just in case you're queuing to get in or out of the carparks.

4. take a clean pair of trainers at least (possibly whole set of kit) and leave in the boot just incase it's a mud fest and you want to keep your car on the cleaner side.

5. if you own a tow rope and/or jump leads it wouldn't help popping them in the boot either. 

3 minutes ago, McCor said:

I'm dreading the whole experience to be honest!!!!!

It'll be fine - I don't drive much, or enjoy driving greatly, but have managed for the last few years.  My car is a weak 1.0 litre engine, but manages with the hills ok with all the tracks put in place.  Good advice from Tommy101 - plus try take it easy Sunday, keep the windows down to blow air in your face on the way home

Don't just blindly follow the sat nav, use Google maps and reprogram/update the route occasionally, Google maps uses live data and will direct you away from traffic.

Be prepared to take what looks like a longer route to avoid traffic, last year we skirted round the bottom of the site on B roads and came out 200 yards from the car park we wanted missing literally miles of traffic jams.

7 minutes ago, McCor said:

I'm dreading the whole experience to be honest!!!!!

Drove last year, was in hours before friend on the coach. If you're driving, you at least have a lot more flexibility in when you travel, plus you can navigate your way around the traffic to an extent if it's as bad as last year. And you don't have to worry about fitting everything on the coach.

Just because you're driving don't think of it as an excuse to overpack. If you've only ever done the bus before, you know that you can pack all you actually need and be able to carry it all in one go. If you want to bring a bit of extra booze you otherwise wouldn't have then go for it, but I'm sure you'd rather be spending time on site at the festival enjoying yourself than making several trips backwards and forwards for stuff you've never needed before at prior festivals.

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Just because you're driving don't think of it as an excuse to overpack. If you've only ever done the bus before, you know that you can pack all you actually need and be able to carry it all in one go. If you want to bring a bit of extra booze you otherwise wouldn't have then go for it, but I'm sure you'd rather be spending time on site at the festival enjoying yourself than making several trips backwards and forwards for stuff you've never needed before at prior festivals.

Exactly this. I want to do one trip. But its still gunna be a longer walk than from the coach station!! I may even pack less!!!

If you've got people in the car who also can drive consider getting them put on your policy for a week so you can share driving home if necessary. It's usually only £20 or so but if you suddenly get tired in a queue it can be a lifesaver.

I've driven from Oxford the five times I've been previously. Following the route the official site will give you, you'll end up in the East car park, which one will depend on time of arrival and what they have opened. The earlier you arrive you'll most likely end up going to PGB. You can also end up on the West side if you'd rather enter through PGD, but that takes a bit more pre planning on your route, but it's not too bad. I always picked what side depending on where I was going to camp, cut the walk a bit shorter. I've parked East twice, West twice and once at Worthy View. 

If you're not too bothered about getting into one of the popular campsites then have a lie in and leave at 11 or 12. You'll hardly queue at all for car park or gate and you'll be in the festival with tent up in no time ready to have a wonder and enjoy the afternoon.

Also resist the temptation to drive home on Sunday night, get a few hours sleep at least. I speak from experience having fallen asleep at the wheel before, was very very scary. Almost ended up in a ditch. You're much better off getting up at 5am to beat the traffic than trying to do it the night before after a long day of festivaling.

6 minutes ago, kingjamma said:

I've driven from Oxford the five times I've been previously. Following the route the official site will give you, you'll end up in the East car park, which one will depend on time of arrival and what they have opened. The earlier you arrive you'll most likely end up going to PGB. You can also end up on the West side if you'd rather enter through PGD, but that takes a bit more pre planning on your route, but it's not too bad. I always picked what side depending on where I was going to camp, cut the walk a bit shorter. I've parked East twice, West twice and once at Worthy View. 

Ideally we'd like to camp in Darble again, so will want enter on the West side. Presumably follow the route from Swindon?

4 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Drove from Oxford a couple of years ago, left at 3am arrived around the festival at about 5ish, was sent around to Orange 35

That's encouraging, thanks! :) We'll definitely be going early as possible!

Just now, McCor said:

That's encouraging, thanks! :) We'll definitely be going early as possible!

Getting there is fine, leaving is the problem. Either leave early on Monday or wait till mid afternoon. I made a rookie error and left about 10am, took me about 12 hours to back to my family home in Cambridge...

I drove last year after a nightmare with shuttle busses the year before at Bath and West Showground.

The drive down was easy enough, drove through the night and only queued for about 30 mins to get into the car park and was pitched by 8.30am. This year I'm with Fest Staff so I should have a pretty simple run down on the Monday hopefully :) 

However I have learnt my lesson and will definitely not be driving home on the Sunday night this year. Being absolutely exhausted at the wheel with 3 passengers in the land of nod is a recipe for disaster, it gets a bit annoying smacking yourself in the face to stay awake after 3 hours! This year I will either stay on until Monday afternoon or get some sleep and leave around 5am Monday morning. 

4 minutes ago, karl3 said:

I drove last year after a nightmare with shuttle busses the year before at Bath and West Showground.

The drive down was easy enough, drove through the night and only queued for about 30 mins to get into the car park and was pitched by 8.30am. This year I'm with Fest Staff so I should have a pretty simple run down on the Monday hopefully :) 

However I have learnt my lesson and will definitely not be driving home on the Sunday night this year. Being absolutely exhausted at the wheel with 3 passengers in the land of nod is a recipe for disaster, it gets a bit annoying smacking yourself in the face to stay awake after 3 hours! This year I will either stay on until Monday afternoon or get some sleep and leave around 5am Monday morning. 

Yeah, I think waiting arond for the afternoon is the plan!

1 hour ago, McCor said:

Today I've gone to book our National Express coach home to Oxford, only to see its sold out. So, I will be driving down. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Now that I have the luxury of heading down whenever I want, should we head off early doors wednesday morning?

2. Coming from Oxford, where are we likely to end up in terms of PG's?

I would be the exact opposite, getting a coach would fill me with dredd.  mainly because how would i get all my stuff on the coach? how long would it take?

I have driven down every year. I now drive down Tuesday stay in a bed and breakfast and then head in early Wednesday. and I am sober all day Sunday 

29 minutes ago, McCor said:

Ideally we'd like to camp in Darble again, so will want enter on the West side. Presumably follow the route from Swindon?

The route I've done in the past is take the M4 all the way to Bristol and then take the M5 down to the A39. Then follow the A39 until you get to the A361, then follow that and it'll take you to the West car parks. 

I usually drive, my advise is stop drinking etc Sunday evening, but you don;t have to go to bed then! I always stay up to watch the sunrise on Monday morning then go to bed. Get up around midday, have breakfast, pack down slowly, then leave about 4-5pm. 

As someone else said, leave a clean change of clothes and shoes in the car, and also have Lucozade sport and sweets and water and crisps etc for the drive home. 
Most importantly, if you don't feel safe to drive, don't! Just have a sit by your car for a while and drink some water and eat something. 

Just be careful and you'll be fine!