When do you start queuing?

Sweet_pea

For those who travel down on Tuesday night, what time do you start queuing? (non camper van folk)

Solstice traffic is going to clash this year so I am planning on heading West as soon as I can.

Do you all sleep in your cars? Do you pitch up in the queue and snooze/drink/party while waiting for the gates to open?

Curious of Essex

16 hours ago, Sweet_pea said:

Solstice traffic is going to clash this year so I am planning on heading West as soon as I can.

Yeah this will be interesting to see how it pans out, if the weather is good, around Stonehenge will particularly busy for the Solstice, then throw in the Glastonbury traffic in to the mix, could be a bit tricky.

2 hours ago, geoffboycott said:

Yeah this will be interesting to see how it pans out, if the weather is good, around Stonehenge will particularly busy for the Solstice, then throw in the Glastonbury traffic in to the mix, could be a bit tricky.

I think I might just leave home Tuesday morning.....:D

i normally aim to arrive at 9pm on site, managed to miss the horrifying traffic somehow last year and sailed straight into  the orange/yellow car parks as close as you can get to the queue. 

we then queue all night until the gates open. nobody stays in their cars, you just start to queue straight away and they gradually filter you through a security check (which was much more stringent last year than in previous years).

last year they opened the gates early at just after 7 as i think they took pity on us having been stood in the pouring rain since about 3am. 

we use alcohol, cards, a speaker & herbal refreshement to pass the time. and camping chairs to sit on. got to be careful though as last year a friend of mine drank a whole crate of beer and half a bottle of whiskey and went missing as soon as we got through the gates. he was paralytic but able to run around the whole site, and ended up sobering up having run through gate b on the opposite site to where we came in and having lost his ticket, his tent and his backpack facing the prospect of getting a coach back to plymouth  

luckily campsite staff found his bag and tent ditched in a hedgerow  (?) and his ticket was found covered in mud having fallen out of his pocket during his sprint out of the gates and he was allowed back in. it was a bloody miracle.

but if that sort of thing doesn't happen, it normally goes quickly and queueing is a big part of the fun for me. but last year we didn't foresee there being rain and we were stood there soaked to the bone for hours with nothing but a small umbrella we used to attempt to cover all three of our backpacks. our waterproof coats turned out not to be very waterproof after 4 hours of relentless rain.

lesson learned - now we take a couple of pop up tents one for the stuff and one for ourselves in case of rain. 

also ovenight queueing is, in my experience, the only way to get the camping spot we want on pennard hill which has been our base for the last 3 years.

god just thinking about being there is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by I feel like Pablo

We were in the queue in Shepton Mallet last year at about 6 am after staying at Wookey Hole. Joined it at the roundabout just north of Cannards Grave and got fed up by 7.30, wasn't going far at all. 

Hitched up the tents with my teenage lad and walked the circa 4 miles to Gate C heading for Cockmill, got there before 9 across the fields, only to find out I'd got the wrong tickets! Tracked down my missus who was by now dry and warm in E6 so I left my lad with the tents at Gate B and headed out to the car to get another load of gear.

After all that we got a spot in Cockmill by 1030!

Please can we have a dry few days in the run up this year 

Edited by Flysheet

1 hour ago, I feel like Pablo said:

i normally aim to arrive at 9pm on site, managed to miss the horrifying traffic somehow last year and sailed straight into  the orange/yellow car parks as close as you can get to the queue. 

we then queue all night until the gates open. nobody stays in their cars, you just start to queue straight away and they gradually filter you through a security check (which was much more stringent last year than in previous years).

last year they opened the gates early at just after 7 as i think they took pity on us having been stood in the pouring rain since about 3am. 

we use alcohol, cards, a speaker & herbal refreshement to pass the time. and camping chairs to sit on. got to be careful though as last year a friend of mine drank a whole crate of beer and half a bottle of whiskey and went missing as soon as we got through the gates. he was paralytic but able to run around the whole site, and ended up sobering up having run through gate b on the opposite site to where we came in and having lost his ticket, his tent and his backpack facing the prospect of getting a coach back to plymouth  

luckily campsite staff found his bag and tent ditched in a hedgerow  (?) and his ticket was found covered in mud having fallen out of his pocket during his sprint out of the gates and he was allowed back in. it was a bloody miracle.

but if that sort of thing doesn't happen, it normally goes quickly and queueing is a big part of the fun for me. but last year we didn't foresee there being rain and we were stood there soaked to the bone for hours with nothing but a small umbrella we used to attempt to cover all three of our backpacks. our waterproof coats turned out not to be very waterproof after 4 hours of relentless rain.

lesson learned - now we take a couple of pop up tents one for the stuff and one for ourselves in case of rain. 

also ovenight queueing is, in my experience, the only way to get the camping spot we want on pennard hill which has been our base for the last 3 years.

god just thinking about being there is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! Thank you!

I'll take heed of your story and not get paralytic :D

We'll be heading to Gate D so will join the queue gang!

On 26 April 2017 at 9:43 PM, guypjfreak said:

I started queuing the day I got my tickets in October.. Lol

Sorry for chatting in the question thread.  I thought you didn't get tickets on Sunday.  I think now that you were just trying for friends? I'm sorry for them but really pleased for you.  I'd been feeling sad thinking you hadn't got a ticket.  So, this has cheered me up! :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Sorry for chatting in the question thread.  I thought you didn't get tickets on Sunday.  I think now that you were just trying for friends? I'm sorry for them but really pleased for you.  I'd been feeling sad thinking you hadn't got a ticket.  So, this has cheered me up! :rolleyes:

Ah thank you Miesh.. No worries.. That's really nice of you xx