The guilty pleasures thread

Lucy92

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel embarrassed or guilty about any of the music I listen to. 

Some people don't want to admit to liking "cheesy" pop music by people like Bieber, Zayn, One Direction etc, but the artist singing it has often had very little do do with writing the song. All of Justin Bieber's new stuff was written by Skrillex, Diplo etc. Sure, he'll get a writing credit for coming up with a lyric or contributing in some way, but the pop genius has come from well respected seasoned producers and songwriters who you definitely shouldn't feel embarrassed about liking! It's just some annoying idiot's face/voice performing it.

I love a bit of pop, I think there's a real art and science to writing that sort of accessible music.

8 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Well over 50% of the singles released by Girls Aloud between 2002 and 2006, bangers. 

I went to see them on their reunion tour and they were fucking tremendous. If you take away the slow insipid ballads and the balls awful covers their singles collection is one banger after another.

One of the best books on music I've ever read -This is Uncool by Gary Mulholland - has a theory that every single shit, appalling, dreadful artist and band has at least one stone cold classic tune in them. I agree...for instance, the worst kind of people around when I was growing up (Phil Collins/ Simply Red/ Erasure) have a song I secretly like (Something Happened on the Way to Heaven/ For Your Babies/ A Little Respect).

Can't stand Muse, but like Plug In Baby. Don't like Adele, but Rolling in the Deep is a tune etc

23 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I don't feel embarrassed or guilty about any of the music I listen to. 

Some people don't want to admit to liking "cheesy" pop music by people like Bieber, Zayn, One Direction etc, but the artist singing it has often had very little do do with writing the song. All of Justin Bieber's new stuff was written by Skrillex, Diplo etc. Sure, he'll get a writing credit for coming up with a lyric or contributing in some way, but the pop genius has come from well respected seasoned producers and songwriters who you definitely shouldn't feel embarrassed about liking! It's just some annoying idiot's face/voice performing it.

I love a bit of pop, I think there's a real art and science to writing that sort of accessible music.

Bieber's written some good stuff himself actually. He's talented, which is why it's a shame he's such a tosser. Doesn't stop me enjoying the bangers though 

9 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

One of the best books on music I've ever read -This is Uncool by Gary Mulholland - has a theory that every single shit, appalling, dreadful artist and band has at least one stone cold classic tune in them. I agree...for instance, the worst kind of people around when I was growing up (Phil Collins/ Simply Red/ Erasure) have a song I secretly like (Something Happened on the Way to Heaven/ For Your Babies/ A Little Respect).

Can't stand Muse, but like Plug In Baby. Don't like Adele, but Rolling in the Deep is a tune etc

Even the Beatles had yellow submarine!