Living cheap on food

Ollie9917

It depends on how much you'll plan on eating when yer there really.. 

9 minutes ago, daisylane said:

Take a camping stove and pot noodles - they're light enough to carry lots of but you'll probs be sick of them by the 2nd day!

Or ask any of the team tents to fill it up with hot water for you

Just now, Wellyboot said:

It depends on how much you'll plan on eating when yer there really.. 

Or ask any of the team tents to fill it up with hot water for you

dunno I can't imagine i'll be THAT hungry on some days

Where are these team tents? I don't recall seeing them

9 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

dunno I can't imagine i'll be THAT hungry on some days

Where are these team tents? I don't recall seeing them

Meant tea tents.. oops!

If you aren't gunna be eating much then 15 quid on buying food there is probably cheaper than taking loads with you

Smash. Salt, pepper and some butter you've stashed underneath your tent. Sorted. You can eat baked beans cold from a tin fine too or add them to the smash. More filling than instant noodles. 

Also look around the site for cheapish meals. The Hare Krishnas do a free meal (donations gratefully received) mid-afternoonish which is so stodgy it should fill you up for a day.

This is more as a supplement to buying food there, but I always take plenty of Tesco's chili coated peanuts for snacking. Really calorific, and loads of protein. I find them to be good Glastonbury fuel.

The fruit stalls and yoghurt stalls are a cheap, good on-site breakfast choice. 

Also, there's the Food For A Fiver initiative. Maybe eat what you bring the first couple of days, while looking at which places are offering the best value £5 meals, which you could have on the last 2 or 3 nights.

Find the bakery near the theatre field and stuff yourself with bread and cake.  Don't take loads of tins, they are too heavy.  If you go by coach you'll get green traveller discounts.  Lots of places will sell a plate of chips cheaply. Look out for signs especially in the green fields for washer uppers in return for a free meal. Food is generally cheaper in the green fields than near the main stages.  Glastonbury can be done on a budget but you might have to resist the temptations that abound!

Edited by bexj

I guess I'd look at what you usually spend on food in a week at home and go from there. I'd say make sure you eat fairly well, not eating and drinking (or doing anything else) is a sure fire way to end up in the medical tent for an eve. Stodgy things that fill you up is good like bread, crisps beans etc. I like to take apples too for a bit of fruit (and they keep well) and pre dried milk porridge for breakfast you can make on a camping stove. Or breakfast bars. I have a medical condition that means I can get weak easy too so I take dextrose tablets in my bum bag with me too that I have until I can get to proper food if I'm seeing acts and can't get out of a crowd etc. to keep my sugar up. 

Hare Krishna was lovely and filling. Free fruit as well. 

Be a bit much every day and taking the piss as well but a couple of times would do it.

i did the 92 one on a tenner a day, albeit things were a bit cheaper then but it's all relative I guess with wage rises, and used Hare Krishna a couple of times back then. Looking at last years prices I reckon 20 a day for three meals and tea/coffee?

water is free and alcohol is optional

I'm just wondering how many people on here take camping stoves?

I'm considering one this year to help reduce costs between the two of us. I am intending to buy the toast things that are placed on top but wondered if anyone had any tips for which food to take and storage methods?

5 minutes ago, Alvarhanso said:

I'm just wondering how many people on here take camping stoves?

I'm considering one this year to help reduce costs between the two of us. I am intending to buy the toast things that are placed on top but wondered if anyone had any tips for which food to take and storage methods?

Got a little one that folds up into the palm of my hand. Sits on top of a gas canister and boils water lovely and quick for morning brews or water for porridge. 

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I used to take a couple of Tesco value loaves of bread and a few packets of cheese slices when I first started going. That's all I'd eat Thurs-Mon. Never went hungry, never craved anything else.

Simpler, happier times.

There's no way a Tesco value loaf lasts 5 days!!