Alternative Glastonbury Tips

congyiszizu

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'll be keeping all my valuables with me just in case, only thing being left in my tent will be clothes, beer and now a lenor bottle which I'll mark up as Vodka.

Mine's more likely to pass as a cloudy cider than a clear spirit, but like the idea :lol:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Untz said:

This is what I do. The first thing I do every morning is go get my money, get a new toilet roll and drop off any spare change as a donation to the tent. Maybe have some friendly chat with the volunteers while all the time wishing that people would leave me alone because I'm feeling so fucking rough.

I do exactly the same. Although one year, when particularly spangled, I thought I could take out my money from different lock ups like an ATM. 

I can't believe i'm making that confession.

2 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I do exactly the same. Although one year, when particularly spangled, I thought I could take out my money from different lock ups like an ATM. 

I can't believe i'm making that confession.

Haha don't worry...amazingly I've seen a few others confess to that recently on other threads!

If you take a camera make sure that the first photo you take is of a sheet of paper with your name, address and contact details. I lost mine one year, reported it to Lost property.  It was handed in and from the first pic they were able to find my address and it arrived in the post three days later.

Keep cans in a washing up bowl full of water and covered with a tea towel so the tea towel is in the water.  The water goes into the tea towel, evaporates and evaporation causes cooling.  So nice chilled tins.

Always make sure your back pocket is full of bog paper, just in case.

7 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Ha!!! yes! That'll learn 'em :lol:

Pee'ed in a 2 litre cider bottle last thing at night many years ago at Reading (so long ago my car was parked next to my tent) left the bottle outside of the tent. In the morning it was gone. 

Always wondered......

8 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Oh, that's terrible...I'm so sorry! I never really think that would happen at Glastonbury, but I guess you always get some idiots :(

I have enough of a trouble getting in and out of tents at the best of times...let alone when trying not to wake up sleeping people in order to knick all their shit! The mind boggles!

I'm also rarely in my tent on Friday or Saturday during the hours of darkness. maybe it really is better to take it all with you....or lock up as people have suggested!

I do use the lockups as they didn't get much cash, but phone and camera was with me... contents of backpack we managed to find over the field thankfully 

when out and about every is on me but this was done in middle of the night when sleeping 

9 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'll be keeping all my valuables with me just in case, only thing being left in my tent will be clothes, beer and now a lenor bottle which I'll mark up as Vodka.

Same here it was when I was sleeping when it happened 

17 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Exactly.....that's so creepy! It was the first night so I was taking it easy but in general I'm just a very heavy sleeper. I've full on slept through a fire alarm before. 

I'm not sure bells would wake me...but maybe a little lock with bells attached would do the trick so they'd really jingle them around before they figured out what's up. 

I wouldn't recommend locking yourself in the tent, it's so dangerous, worried about you now, I'm sure the little bells will be enough to put off any thieves. 

Charm x

If you don't use the lock ups (or forget to) put your valuables (wallet/purse/phone/camera) in the bottom of your sleeping bag with you when you go to sleep.  Bit of a problem with 2 packs of beer and 4 litres of spirits!!!!  Split cans from packs and scatter if leaving in tent.

Always carry some toilet paper in your pocket!

Take your own hand sanitiser and use regularly if you want to avoid the Glastonbury trots. 

41 minutes ago, Untz said:

Use soap and water if you're eating with your hands and don't want the taste of alcohol all over your food.

The whole point of hand sanitiser is you use it when soap and water aren't easily at hand, as in at Glastonbury, unless you manage to time every meal for just after a trip to the toilets you are more likely to dip into a pocket for the sanitiser than traipse off to wash your hands.

35 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The whole point of hand sanitiser is you use it when soap and water aren't easily at hand, as in at Glastonbury, unless you manage to time every meal for just after a trip to the toilets you are more likely to dip into a pocket for the sanitiser than traipse off to wash your hands.

Nothing wrong with using hand sanitiser.

If you want your expensive hog roll tasting like cheap alcohol.

13 minutes ago, amfy said:

Also - much easier to have pocket tissues in your pocket than bog roll, & much more likely to be dry and use able when you need it.

This

poundland sell them in packs of 6. I always buy 2 packs and just pop a couple in my pocket before leaving the tent. Take up so little space compared to toilet roll and they stay dry since they are in individual packets

Some great tips in here, some I would never have thought of but will be putting into practice this time around.

I always take a power pack out with me in my day sack to keep my phone topped up in case I do need it. It cost me about £15 off Amazon and lasts me the full festival if I turn off data, if you need data for Facebook etc then you're doing it wrong.

I tend to only wear sports shorts/walking as your legs dry quicker than any material (ex postman talking) if it does rain and have a fleece/waterproof in my bag for when it gets colder of a night. 

I echo what others have said on the black bag front, you can't have enough of them especially if it's a muddy one like last year.

I wear ear plugs and an eye mask to get some valuable sleep in the early hours, life savers.

I find haribo tangfastics can be great in the morning if the thought of food is knocking you sick, they seem to help me come around anyway.

Of a night I tend to take a bottle of vodka out and just buy mixers from the numerous ice cream vans/stalls, saves carrying a load of weight and as someone said earlier you can still dance like a clown without swilling anyone, win win!

On the security front I always have my chair open right in the entrance to my tent and put my feet in the gap so if anyone does try to get in they'll have to move that in turn knocking my feet which should wake me up, should being the key word here as sometimes I'm amazed I wake up at all.

I used the lockups for the first time on the Saturday last year to take some weight off and they're brilliant so will definitely be using them again.

A decent small rucksack for day to day stuff is essential, first year I went I had this silly little bag with string straps, I also made the mistake of drinking cans all day too so I'd load up the bag with 3 or 4 cans at a time and go back to the tent for more after, didn't seem like much weight but by Friday my back and shoulders were ruined. 

I've invested in a proper small bag this year, it was hard finding something both practical and cool yet small enough to be unobtrusive for a day.

It's amazing how much stuff you may need to carry around, unless you're one of those people who just like to be carefree and hope for the best. This year I'll be carrying a couple of cans (can't drink spirits too early) phone power pack, poncho in case of wet stuff, wipes for accidents (of all kinds) hand gel and tissues.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It's amazing how much stuff you may need to carry around, 

It's amazing how little you need to carry around.

Bog roll, sunscreen, wet wipes, tissues, sanitiser, soap, water all available at multiple points throughout the site. For free, optional donation of course. 

Combat shorts with pockets containing wallet, old nokia phone and wine/booze is all you really need. 

No need to go all journey to the south pole on it. 

I tend to have a bumbag (that I wear more like a shoulder bag or cross body bag most of the time). I carry money, phone, pocket tissues, wet wipes, small hand sanitiser, some suncream in a small bottle or tube, and a hip flask of rum ready for mixing later. I no longer smoke but I also got my cigs etc in when I did. (The bumbag was also a useful rolling surface when standing in a crowd)

I usually also have a premixed small bottle of rum & coke in my hand as I leave the tent.

I tie any extra layers around my waist. 

I wear my bum bag like a bumbag when I want to REALLY dance, because it's nice not to have it flapping about and being a nuisance.