Alternative Glastonbury Tips

congyiszizu

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, paulshane said:

if you're texting someone, include the time you're sending it in the text. no fun trying to meet someone behind the mixing desk at the main stage when they sent the message two days ago.

Pro tip.

Here's mine:

1) Bring ear plugs, and an eye mask so you can get some decent sleep.

2) Attach some little jingly bells to your inner tent zip so you still get woken up if someone tries to break in while you sleep.

3) I leave my chairs unfolded right in the entrance too to make it doubly hard for thieves.

4) You can buy a 10 litre water carrier from Poundland, fill it up on the first day and keep in your porch for emergency water, teeth brushing, washing etc.

5) Travel johns - lots of them. Or Lenor bottle for the boys.

6) I bring an easy-reading book with me. Sometimes when I get back to the tent I'm too wired/buzzing to just sleep, so I need something to occupy my brain for 20 mins or so to help me drift off.

7) Headtorch is very useful. I managed to get a couple from Poundland a few years ago and still going strong.

8) Welly jack is useful for hassle-free welly removal.

9) Pablo Honey (obviously)

10) If you're doing naughties, certain supplements are neuro-protective and limit the damage, whilst easing the comedown effects. Have a look at rollsafe website for details.

11) Diarolyte for helping with the hangover, plus Vit C.

12) Hot water bottle is a life saver if you feel the cold.

34 minutes ago, baggienick68 said:

The tree nymph is a new one for me. Is this up by the dragon somewhere?

Yea I'll not say where so you can find her.. I've never noticed her /him but it's been there for years.. I think they'll be making it more of a feature.. Don't expect a dragon but it's cool 

49 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Also the monorail.

You can only go on this if you were registered before the October sale.. If you registered after the October sale and got a ticket you can't use the monorail old son..

New rules brought out last week old son. 

It sounds obvious, but if you're hungry, eat. Any fuel is good fuel. Man cannot survive on alcohol and stimulants alone! Malt loaf is your friend.

Make a point of saying hello to your neighbours after you pitch. Good for keeping an eye on thieves, plus they're probably friendly.

Take a proper pillow.

If you're happy drinking spirits, don't bother dragging loads of beer/cider on site. They weigh a ton, and go very quickly.

Don't take too many things that will keep you at the campsite. The less time spent by your tent he better.

If you're still, on the floor and tired, don't be afraid to nap. Even 20 minutes here and there can make all the difference, and set you up for the coming hours.

Edited by big__phil

6 minutes ago, morethanaphelan said:

Also, old suit trousers > jeans in my experience. Far better if it's wet and they take up less room too.

Personally, I'd say go one step further and use proper Hiking Trousers for Festivals. Made from synthetic materials so they dry almost instantly, and generally are quite durable/stretchy with lots of zip/fasten up pockets that keep your stuff inside. Decathlon do a decent range of them.

Also.. To those suggesting Lenor.. I'd suggest looking at a different brand, specifically Fairy/Bold/Ariel - something with an included handle does make a huge difference and reduces the chance of a pretty terrible accident.

Travel light - we took about 100 tins each in 2015 and drank about 20 between the 6 of us, gave our Neighbours the rest. Prefer cold drink from the bars and socialsing that sat around your tent.

Take a water carrier and in the mornings get a mate to hold it up, strip down, summon the courage and have a shower. Yes it's cold, yes you get some odd looks, yes your old boy shrivels up, but it zaps the hangover and you're nice 'n' clean and setup for the day.

The other advantages of spirits over beers is less loo stops,  and you can carry on dancing and jumping about with a hip flask or a mixed coke in a way that you can't with a pint.

I always mix mine quite ridiculously strong so it'll last me hours with the occasional beer/cider from the bars.

1. Use a sack trolley to bring in crates of drink. I've tried different modes of transport over the years and this has been the best.
  2. Bring some pallet wrap. This ensures everything stays on the sack trolley. It's very handy at the end of the festival when you can't be bothered to stack things properly.
  3. If you want to get to the front of the Pyramid stage, go down the stalls on the left hand side and then cut in. You can usually get in front of the surge barrier and there is loads of space.
  4. Buy one of the cree torches from Amazon/eBay. They are very bright and only a couple of quid.
  5. Take loads of binbags. Handy for sitting down in the mud, putting around your wellies to take them off at night and collecting all of your rubbish and leaving no trace.

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Personally, I'd say go one step further and use proper Hiking Trousers for Festivals. Made from synthetic materials so they dry almost instantly, and generally are quite durable/stretchy with lots of zip/fasten up pockets that keep your stuff inside. Decathlon do a decent range of them.

Also.. To those suggesting Lenor.. I'd suggest looking at a different brand, specifically Fairy/Bold/Ariel - something with an included handle does make a huge difference and reduces the chance of a pretty terrible accident.

IMG_3761.JPGThese are the chaps to use. Aldi own brand 99p. My only decision is whether I use the blue for Bearded Theory and White for Glastonbury or vice versa.

Edited by stutheblue

further to bin bag tip above ... pack your clothes inside bin bags so they don't get wet / damp on arrival

small ziplock bags are also good for keeping mobiles and battery packs dry 

of course the above tips won't be necessary this year .. don't forget the sunscreen guys and go up a few factors from usual as somehow I always seem to burn ..