Your most unexpectedly poignant music moment.

Wilfko

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Oooo and new order last year when I thought they had finished then came back with.. Love will tear us apart.. Never thought I'd see that tune live.. Went on a bit of a bender after that.. 

Exactly the same for me, but at Electric Picnic in Ireland. It blew me away. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cried big, ugly tears at Adele singing when we were young with all those photos behind her.

Also, does the Jo Cox portishead tribute opening the pyrimad stage last year count? After Brexit announcement and before Syrian Orchastra, it made for a very sombre, thoughtful morning.

A couple other people have said (Patti Smith, LCD), but also randomly stumbling upon Lekiddo in the Rabbit Hole playing To the Beach with everyone singing along and doing the actions (2015 I think). One of the most brilliantly bizarre things I've seen. And then last year Kamasi Washington ending on The Rhythm Changes. I'd just gone to see him out of curiosity, and was impressed, but that song hit me especially hard.

Ben Howard in 2013 playing The Fear ... had just got my life back on track after a very bad year. During that time the album Every Kingdom and in particular that song had been a source of positivity for me during that time .... the mix of the sunny day, being with my friends who had supported me unreservedly throughout and that song is a real treasured moment for me.

4 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Due to a previous post earlier in the thread I just re-watched the entire set and it's an absolute beauty from start to finish. Oh to have been there! I got a bit emotional during Gosh.

Do you have a link for that please mate?

In 2011 I wandered up to The Spirit of '71 Stage to see Steve Hillage but the set times were all wrong and as I settled on a hay bay with a couple of dozen others on came Noel Harrison - not someone I knew. But then he played The Windmills of Your Mind and it was just beautiful. Unlike the below version he played it with a band and sang it twice once in English and once in French. Truly outstanding Glastonbury moment and a reason why wandering the site produces magic!

14 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

Jamie XX

Entire thing is brill, but 40 mins in it gets extra special.

Cheers, only recently getting into all things XX, really hoping the second half of their set, especially, becomes as special as I hope it will be this June.

I think everyone has a bit of a moment at some point in their first Glastonbury. I had a bit of one watching Crystal Fighters in 2014, with it being one of my faves and one of the first bands I was watching at my first Glastonbury.

But a bigger one was after running to the BBC Introducing Stage on the Saturday, after @secretglasto had told me Bombay Bicycle Club were going to be on. I took everything in, after feeling like I was just in awe at everything for the first few days up to that point. And getting to see a "secret" set, which was an exciting novelty. Then they played Always Like This, which I didn't realise I loved so much until that moment/ LINK That opening hum was an instant lump in the throat moment.

And then 2015. I had a very strange Friday, I'd finished a shift working, and something wasn't right. My feet were in a lot of pain, I knew I had shifts to come, and I couldn't get in touch with anyone I knew. I was feeling awful in my favourite place in the world. I suddenly had an intense sensation of depersonalisation. I couldn't feel any emotions. Music didn't "work". Libertines came on, people went mad, and I didn't care. I moved on. Mark Ronson brought on Boy George, people started vibing, I didn't care. I moved on. Billy Bragg played a song a deceased friend used to cover. Started feeling like myself again, a few tears. I moved on. Hot Chip's opening sample for Huarache Lights played. It felt like they were bringing me back to life. Suddenly in bits. A random group of people decides to adopt me for the night, bought me pints, hugged me, it was all very special.

I'd noticed in recent gigs that Al Doyle was playing the bassline to LCD Soundsystem's All My Friends, possibly my favourite song of all time, during the set-ending cover of Dancing In The Dark. Only this time he started singing the lyrics as well. When I realised, it took me off guard and hit me like a right hook. I started crying like a baby, as all the mixed emotions of the week so far returned to me in one go and overloaded my brain. I've not experienced anything like it before or since.

Glastonbury, man. I feel like it was etched into the fabric of my being that night.

Edited by Simpo

10 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith.  Acoustic Tent in 2015

This; also in 2015 wandering past the Bar and hearing Luther van Dross "never too much" playing. It was like the whole bar was dancing, and just engulfed me and my mates. There was a guy in a yellow shirt, dancing on a chair, whose joy was infectious.

8 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Cheers, only recently getting into all things XX, really hoping the second half of their set, especially, becomes as special as I hope it will be this June.

I think everyone has a bit of a moment at some point in their first Glastonbury. I had a bit of one watching Crystal Fighters in 2014, with it being one of my faves and one of the first bands I was watching at my first Glastonbury.

But a bigger one was after running to the BBC Introducing Stage on the Saturday, after @secretglasto had told me Bombay Bicycle Club were going to be on. I took everything in, after feeling like I was just in awe at everything for the first few days up to that point. And getting to see a "secret" set, which was an exciting novelty. Then they played Always Like This, which I didn't realise I loved so much until that moment/ LINK That opening hum was an instant lump in the throat moment.

And then 2015. I had a very strange Friday, I'd finished a shift working, and something wasn't right. My feet were in a lot of pain, I knew I had shifts to come, and I couldn't get in touch with anyone I knew. I was feeling awful in my favourite place in the world. I suddenly had an intense sensation of depersonalisation. I couldn't feel any emotions. Music didn't "work". Libertines came on, people went mad, and I didn't care. I moved on. Mark Ronson brought on Boy George, people started vibing, I didn't care. I moved on. Billy Bragg played a song a deceased friend used to cover. Started feeling like myself again, a few tears. I moved on. Hot Chip's opening sample for Huarache Lights played. It felt like they were bringing me back to life. Suddenly in bits. A random group of people decides to adopt me for the night, bought me pints, hugged me, it was all very special.

I'd noticed in recent gigs that Al Doyle was playing the bassline to LCD Soundsystem's All My Friends, possibly my favourite song of all time, during the set-ending cover of Dancing In The Dark. Only this time he started singing the lyrics as well. When I realised, it took me off guard and hit me like a right hook. I started crying like a baby, as all the mixed emotions of the week so far returned to me in one go and overloaded my brain. I've not experienced anything like it before or since.

Glastonbury, man. I feel like it was etched into the fabric of my being that night.

Brilliant post/recollection and I'll be upvoting come midnight. 

Also, whilst taste is obviously subjective, you appear to have plenty of it in my book! 

Had a load of times like this but the most recent was Kate Tempest at the Rum Shack last year, it absolutely floored me. I had to scrape my jaw off the floor after it was such a brutal and beautiful half an hour it had a really odd lasting effect on me.

There was a very special atmosphere during the concert of Norwegian DJ Todd Terje at the West Holts Stage in 2015. Just around sunset, beautiful music a lazy evening. And then came the final (hit) song "Inspector Norse whenall the transvestite dancers came on stage.

There is a 20 minute clip on Youtube of this show, really worth watching. 

I think it was 2013. Williams Green watching Tribes sing 'Corner of an English Field'. I was with my favourite people in the world at my favourite place in the world. Life was good 

For different reasons Dolly the year after singing 'Here You Come Again'. I was a few months out of a marriage breakdown and it hit me like a ton of bricks at that moment. 

An unexpected one for me was tearing up during the stones in 2013. Not a fan normally but it was my first festival. When you can't always get what you want started and the choir kicked in I found it really overwhelming. Couldn't believe I was at Glastonbury watching the Rolling Stones, it felt like a moment for me as I've dreamed of the festival for years 

Theres a fair amount.

Think the first was in 2010 watching coldplay, on my own, surrounded by couples. Got a bit emosh.

Stevie wonder doing human nature on the harmonica.

Arctics doing She's Thunderstorms, but after the festival. Basically i was with my best mates and my girlfriend and we were going mad to that song for some reason. We broke up after that after she got with my mate who was there. Mixed feelings every time i hear that song. Although I'm over her now so mainly good ones.

11 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

We broke up after that after she got with my mate who was there. Mixed feelings every time i hear that song. 

I wouldn't have mixed emotions after that, I'd have double servings of murderous emotions tbf. They're a pair of terrible cock sockets and I'm glad you've put it behind you! 

'96ish  Near then, anyway.  Rained, a lot.

Me and (not at this point, yet) wife were sat in the Tiny Tea Tent at about 1030pm contemplating calling it a night, because we were soaked and tired and fed up.  Plan was to get up and start fresh the next day.  Walked past Jazz World, and Roni Size / Represent were on.  Stood for about 30 seconds listening to the intro to Brown Paper Bag, back near the roadway*.  Bass drop, strobes on, whole crowd goes ballistic.  Me and her look at each other, both grin, and dive in.  Got to bed as the sun was rising.

* Jazz World used to face the other way right. towards the railway track?  Or is my memory completely fucked?

Edited by jfaragher

Another cracking moment was Glen Tilbrook and The Fluffers in the Left Field in 2008.  The Left Field was supposed to be the 'politically correct' tent but Lucy Shaw, the Fluffers bass player, was sex on legs and lots of the blokes forgot that they were supposed to be politically correct and stood there with their tongues hanging out.

It was also possibly the best set ending I've seen.  No way after this could you do an encore.