Your most unexpectedly poignant music moment.

Wilfko

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they're not the most popular band on here, but for me it has to be Elbow in 2014. I was a fan of Seldom Seen Kid but hadn't paid much attention after that.

The sun was just about to set leaving a wonderful glow over the Pyramid and Guy launched into 'My Sad Captains' - a song I'd never heard before, and I was practically in tears from it. It was such an emotional and powerful song it was hard not to get swept up in it and looking around there were a few other teary eyes dotted about. It was a beautiful, poignant moment and one of my fondest Glastonbury moments.

2 hours ago, Wilfko said:

Over the weekend myself and a few mates were reminiscing over our Glastonbury memories and we were having a discussion about which single piece of music (track specific) we each considered the most memorable or life affirming memory from our visits to the farm.

One caveat of the question is it has to be something you were not expecting, i.e. if your a huge radiohead fan, they are excluded.

Mine for example was in 2015, myself and my mates were chilling on the lush grass at West Holts on a gloriously sunny Friday afternoon and an Indian Artist completely unknown to us called Ranghu Dixit had been bumped up from Avalon due to a performer dropping out (can't remember who!).

I was going through some shit in my life at that time and he performed a song called Parashiva which really struck a chord, really joyful song full of hope.. even though it was sung in Hindi and I couldn't understand a word!

So, what's your memory?

They must have done 2 sets then, because I saw Ranghu Dixit at the Avalon Stage in 2015 because I distinctly remember loving them and looking up who they were.  Can't remember which day, but I think it was the Saturday.

Edited by Fork_UK

45 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

i took my first pill watching the chemical brothers in 2011 and it was pretty much the greatest thing i've ever witnessed (right up to the chemical brothers in 2015) 

not so much unexpected as the complete opposite but it still feels pretty poignant

The exact same thing happened to me, except with Arcade Fire.  Alas, not at Glastonbury.  

15 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

They must have done 2 sets then, because I saw Ranghu Dixit at the Avalon Stage in 2015 because I distinctly remember loving them and looking up who they were.  Can't remember which day, but I think it was the Saturday.

Must have done both then.. incredibly weren't they! Ultimate feel good stuff. 

Last year. Christine & The Queens on the Other Stage on the Friday. Brexit had just been announced. It was drizzling. But she dropped Tilted, the sun came out, I turned to my friend to show them I was crying and they were crying too. We hugged. Even though last year was a tough one, that will be a favourite memory for a long time.

Another one was The Specials in 2009. My mates are all big fans but we essentially all danced like twats for the whole set. Afterwards a guy behind us came up to us and said ''It's so nice to see young people enjoying the Specials.'' We were all new into our 30's at that time so being called young felt like something to be treasured.

"Can't Do Without You" by Caribou in 2015. 

The wife and I had taken a few years off the festival for one reason or another, when the bass kicked in on that bad boy I had a tear in my eye. 

Felt so good to be back on the farm with my wife and best mates having a party. 

99 down the front for the Manics, they played Design for Life, which was the song that was on the radio when my daughter (2 in 99 and first time I'd really been away from her other than work) was born. The radio version was a live one from a gig me and her mum were at just after we found out she was pregnant, so special significance. I'm in floods of tears at that point, no doubt aided by several pints from the cider bus!

Fast forward to 2003, Manics on Sunday night, they play same song, only this time I've got daughter in my arms as we both watch from back up the hill. Cue tears again!

Two stand out poignant moments for me. Both show what a softie I can be.

During the Brian Wilson set a few years ago when he broke into God Only Knows I had to phone home and tell Mrs GH how much I missed her.

The other was during a magnificent Joan Baez set when she sang There But For Fortune.  I stood there in floods or tears and a bloke next to me put his arm round my shoulder and asked: "Are you alright mate?"  To which I replied: "Yes, thanks, I'm fine.  This is just so beautiful."

I have at least one teary moment a year but Richard Hawley finishing with Coles Corner at the Park last year had me in bits.  When he finished, I went off by myself and sat up by the bar at the top of the hill and sat in contemplation, looking at the evening view with all the lights and sounds drifting up from the site below.  That was a special time.

It's strange, because I don't really have one. I've only been twice, and then I only saw two or three bands that I hadn't planned on, so I haven't got much to count.

I guess, in hindsight, seeing Dolly Parton was cool, and my nan has always loved her. It is the only time she has ever watched Glastonbury, and she saw me on TV and called my mum right away! haha

finishing the festival  up at the crows nest in 2015.... able to see the rest of the festival lights (including Chemical Brothers) from up there, then watching Songhoy Blues in that tiny tent

3 hours ago, Jamesthedrake said:

I know they're not the most popular band on here, but for me it has to be Elbow in 2014. I was a fan of Seldom Seen Kid but hadn't paid much attention after that.

The sun was just about to set leaving a wonderful glow over the Pyramid and Guy launched into 'My Sad Captains' - a song I'd never heard before, and I was practically in tears from it. It was such an emotional and powerful song it was hard not to get swept up in it and looking around there were a few other teary eyes dotted about. It was a beautiful, poignant moment and one of my fondest Glastonbury moments.

Mine is Elbow in 2011. The Loneliness of the Tower Crane Driver was just sensational in the evening sun. 

Was just realising there was more to life than my ex wife. The strings, cider and the sun took me to a very happy place. 

4 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

For me it has to be Patti Smith and the crowd singing Happy Birthday to the Dalai Lama - gave me goose bumps, although I had heard it was going to happen earlier in that day

Reminds me of last year outside stonebridge for Steve Davis I think when the crowd singing happy birthday to me as I was wearing my birthday fancy dress ... fantastically spontaneous and sent a shiver down my spine :)

The whole Brexit hangover was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I was on a high while watching a band, but then as I trudged between the stages I got to dwelling on what a shower of shite was soon going to hit the country and how all of a sudden I felt like I didn't know what kind of place it was.

In that mood, Reef were like a warm hug of optimism and good vibes. They played Consideration and a gospel choir emerged from the wings and the final refrain "It's gonna be all right!" over and over again got me complaining of the dust in my eye, for sure.