Your most unexpectedly poignant music moment.

Wilfko

Over the weekend myself and a few mates were reminiscing over our Glastonbury memories and we were having a discussion about which single piece of music (track specific) we each considered the most memorable or life affirming memory from our visits to the farm.

One caveat of the question is it has to be something you were not expecting, i.e. if your a huge radiohead fan, they are excluded.

Mine for example was in 2015, myself and my mates were chilling on the lush grass at West Holts on a gloriously sunny Friday afternoon and an Indian Artist completely unknown to us called Ranghu Dixit had been bumped up from Avalon due to a performer dropping out (can't remember who!).

I was going through some shit in my life at that time and he performed a song called Parashiva which really struck a chord, really joyful song full of hope.. even though it was sung in Hindi and I couldn't understand a word!

So, what's your memory?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice topic! 

For me it was in 2015, I was with a friend of mine who really liked Frank Turner and I honestly never heard of him before the festival (We are from the Netherlands and he isn't that well known around here). We were bathing in the sun in front of other stage when he came on and played "Recovery" and I was sold immediately. Still one of the best sets I have seen in three years of Glastonbury!

Just now, mcshed said:

I felt my unborn daughter kick for the first time during Another Sunny Day whilst watching Belle and Sebastian in 2015. The whole set was a magical time for me and my wife.

That's awesome! Perfect example.

6 minutes ago, Primalcrux said:

Nice topic! 

For me it was in 2015, I was with a friend of mine who really liked Frank Turner and I honestly never heard of him before the festival (We are from the Netherlands and he isn't that well known around here). We were bathing in the sun in front of other stage when he came on and played "Recovery" and I was sold immediately. Still one of the best sets I have seen in three years of Glastonbury!

Something in the Air in 2015 it seems so far :D

Having only been to 2015 so far. Everything Everything at Williams Green was the most poignant moment (if you can call it that) for me

That or when Jamie XX played Loud Places at the park, the timing of that slot was perfect.

Edited by mjsell

11 minutes ago, big__phil said:

When Blur played Tender and we all sung it back after...that was a bit special. Made all the better because all my mates were there as well.

This makes me think of Bear's Den in 2015, they played Isaac and we all kept singing for minutes (at least, it felt like minutes) after they stopped. It was very nice to see that they were totally blown away by that

3 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

@Will-2609 has one from Foals last year, but it's not my place to tell it.

We didn't go last year and had a house party to drown our sorrows, that set looked absolutely awesome, made not being there even more difficult.

Seeing them at Citadel fest as a result now.

19 minutes ago, big__phil said:

When Blur played Tender and we all sung it back after...that was a bit special. Made all the better because all my mates were there as well.

Was this really unexpected though. I went to Blur expecting it to be unbelievably emotional.

Mine was Professor Green in 2013. Me and the wife had gone for something to eat near Willams Green and got some ice cream afterwards and thought we'd have a chill with it at the back of the pyramid field while he was on.

During read all about it I remember being on my feet watching it and by the end of the song I had my arms aloft, eyes closed, singing every word, lump in my throat it was very unexpectedly emotional. Actually one of my favourite ever Glastonbury memories as it came out of no where.

Might possibly be my favourite ever day at the festival, that day was magic.

51 minutes ago, Primalcrux said:

Nice topic! 

It was a great set I ventured down on my own as my friends had never heard of him they then turned up 10 mins later to see what he would be like a were totally surprised to how good he was

his enthusiasm at festivals is something too see great songs and crowd interaction gutted he's not there this year 

He gained a few more admirers that day

22 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

PJ Harvey reading out that poem on the sunday mid set last year, in an immediate post-brexit meltdown it was incredible.

That got me a bit too.  Especially when she said the date and the utter pointlessness of pretending we're not always going to be in Europe's orbit hit home.

Mine was last year, watching the foals play mountain at my gate late Friday afternoon you could feel the amazing atmosphere in the air everyone having the time of their lives, every time I hear now I get shivers all over me, absolutely love it.......

Staying true to the OP the one that leaps to mind for me was Everything Everything in 2015. Wasn't much of a fan, the only song I was really familiar with was Cough Cough. We decided to watch them more because we were already at the Other for the Cribs rather than through any kind of great desire. 

The set was better than expected, towards the end we decided to make our way towards the back of the crowd for a quick exit to wherever we were headed next. Just about then they dropped Distant Past, which was one of those songs I was familiar with but didn't realise who the act was that did it. It led to some impromptu dancing and jumping about from me and the three mates I was with. It was so unexpected and set the tone for the rest of the day. Whenever I hear Distant Past now it immediately makes me think of Glastonbury and how excited we all were that day. 

Gaaaaaaah I can't wait to go back!