Thursday Arrival

Vth_Fish

Hey everyone. Long time user but not recently (see my registration date!)

Been to Glastonbury every year since 2006 but missed last 2 due to getting married then having a baby. Managed to get resale today but ny wife is not wanting to leave our daughter for more than 4 nights so looking like we will be arriving on Thursday, probably about 3pm at a guess.

What are peoples thoughts and experiences on where to camp arriving so late? I dont care where it is really as I have been in more or less every field going in the past and tbh my favourite was probably the much disliked Pylon field if that still exists?!

Sorry for the boring question but I am so used to being early Wed and not missing out on anything. I used to come early just for Biggles but due to the awful news that wont be happening this year. They even played our wedding kust before Glastonbury 2015!

Cheers

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Baileys, near Dairy often has some space. I'd listen to Worthy FM on the way down and listen out for where has space.

You will find somewhere, particularly if it's only for the two of you.

Agree with the man of many hats....

Baileys often has space as it is a little hidden behind the hedges. Also, 'Back House' next door is not opened up until Thursday. It was an oasis of grass last year. 

Baileys definitely a good bet. You may even get into Pylon or Hitchin Hill. Also worth seeing if Lime Kiln will let you in. It's family camping, but if they have space late Thurs PM and you look ok, they'll probably squeeze you in (they let in two friends a few years ago, who had horrible neighbours, tent slashed etc., so had to move). Ask the stewards when you arrive.

33 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

(they let in two friends a few years ago, who had horrible neighbours, tent slashed etc., so had to move). 

Jeez. Where were they initially staying?

Not sure if it's more luck than anything else but I've never seen any trouble or anything similar at Glastonbury so far. 
(Or any other festival I've been to to be fair).

2 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Baileys definitely a good bet. You may even get into Pylon or Hitchin Hill. Also worth seeing if Lime Kiln will let you in. It's family camping, but if they have space late Thurs PM and you look ok, they'll probably squeeze you in (they let in two friends a few years ago, who had horrible neighbours, tent slashed etc., so had to move). Ask the stewards when you arrive.

I camp in Lime Kiln every year and it's not family. The Wicket Ground south of Lime Kiln is though. People turn up every year on thurs afternoon / early eve and get a spot near us on the west side of the field, no probs. Great views as well!

We always arrive around the same time on Thursday each year. We always head to the west and Gate A (you normally get shepharded to the Pink Gate car parks on the other side of the road which is quite a way to walk, but can be OK to get out of on Monday (depending on which field you get lead to, last year we were in Pink 49 and managed to get off the site within 5 minutes of getting in the car. Other years we haven't been quite so lucky)

There was some space in Darble last year, but we have always managed to get a spot in Pylon or Rivermead in the last 5 years we have camped that side of the site. Never had any problems in either field, both are quite quiet and really handy for JP and Silver Hayes.

When we arrive the campsites often look full, but if you wander round the perimeter of each field there is usually space in the corners. one of us goes on a full reccy of the field first while the other looks after the kit/beer

22 hours ago, Vth_Fish said:

Hey everyone. Long time user but not recently (see my registration date!)

Been to Glastonbury every year since 2006 but missed last 2 due to getting married then having a baby. Managed to get resale today but ny wife is not wanting to leave our daughter for more than 4 nights so looking like we will be arriving on Thursday, probably about 3pm at a guess.

What are peoples thoughts and experiences on where to camp arriving so late? I dont care where it is really as I have been in more or less every field going in the past and tbh my favourite was probably the much disliked Pylon field if that still exists?!

Sorry for the boring question but I am so used to being early Wed and not missing out on anything. I used to come early just for Biggles but due to the awful news that wont be happening this year. They even played our wedding kust before Glastonbury 2015!

Cheers

leave your wife at home , get  her to meet you on Thursday

you will have camp all set up and ready to go

This year is the first i'll be arriving on a Thursday. Luckily me and the missus will have friends pitching our tent for us on the Wednesday but still cant help but feel a tad gutted that we'll miss that Wednesday buzz when everyone arrives, the opening fireworks display etc. I should be grateful that i at least have a ticket however as obviously there are those who are less fortunate.

In regards to space, South Park 2 had loads of space all weekend in 2015. It was rammed ladt year however by Wednesday afternoon but im pretty sure thats only because of the mudbath and people heading for higher ground. If we have a dry one this year i reckon there'll be space up there again.

Edited by Familiar2billions

I arrived on Thursday in 2015 and camped in Pylon. It was completely fine. 10 minutes walk to the Pyramid stage, 20 minutes if it's a particularly busy time. I don't feel the need to camp in a rowdy area at Glastonbury since I usually only go back to my tent to sleep.

It's a tough one to call really. You get the benefit of having more energy on Saturday/Sunday, but the whole experience feels a little more rushed. I didn't feel as though I was able to savour the experience quite as much. I'm arriving on Thursday again this year due to difficulties booking time off, and I'm quietly dreading being allocated a really late coach from Bath. 

It's still the greatest festival on earth at the end of the day though, and whether you're there 4 days or 5 it will still be awesome.

On 23/04/2017 at 4:44 PM, DareToDibble said:

Jeez. Where were they initially staying?

Not sure if it's more luck than anything else but I've never seen any trouble or anything similar at Glastonbury so far. 
(Or any other festival I've been to to be fair).

Hitchin Hill. Never had any issues before and they've been going since 1986. Just unlucky. Aggressive pissed up knobhead determined to pick a fight (his friends apologised). When it didn't work, he slashed their tent while they were away - they didn't want to risk staying there any longer, so moved. 

On 23/04/2017 at 6:22 PM, Jugtanion said:

I camp in Lime Kiln every year and it's not family. The Wicket Ground south of Lime Kiln is though. People turn up every year on thurs afternoon / early eve and get a spot near us on the west side of the field, no probs. Great views as well!

Yeah, my bad. I meant Wicket Ground family camping. Line Kiln looks good too :-)