Manual F5 now being detected as Multi-Hit?

parsonjack

I have a theory that a quick F5 finger is now being detected, and possibly blocked, as a 'multi-hit' attempt by Seetickets.

I'm pretty quick with the F5 finger, and if I focus I can easily F5 in less than a second, assuming the page has loaded that is and the refresh icon in Chrome is showing.

However.....attempts earlier to get tickets for friends saw me on the holding page from the outset....I never saw a ticket choice page once (I assume there was one.....?) until it sold out and the page with Worthy View etc appeared.  F5ing repeatedly as usual never got me off the holding page once....even to a ticket choice page.

Oddly though if F5 the page now more than 60 times in a minute I get thrown to the holding page on my 61st F5....which I then can't get off unless I wait for it to time out.  I can repeat this over and over again....very time, same result.

Anyone else experienced or tried this?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I could reproduce that holding-forever-page too, worrying. Today I got through with some fairly slow refreshing as I went around all the browser windows in turn, so wouldn't have triggered it (and got through twice for the peopler I was buying for), so maybe that's now a better strategy. Instead of the regular 'hammer one browser like mad and let the others auto-refresh', it should be 'refresh each window in turn and then go back and start again at the first one', so you're refreshing each one every 5 seconds or so? Less likely to trigger a bot detector I'd say

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

As long as the page has fully refreshed before you press F5 again then nothing should detect anything

I do let the page fully load before F5-ing....but if it loads quick enough my F5's are close enough together to be less than a second apart....

You may be onto something. I have not seen the booking page for 3 sales now and have tried various numbers of windows, tabs etc and manually F5'd.
I have always got a booking page at least once prior and now nothing.

I think I shall try 8 windows on one by one manual refresh next time.

21 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You may be onto something. I have not seen the booking page for 3 sales now and have tried various numbers of windows, tabs etc and manually F5'd.
I have always got a booking page at least once prior and now nothing.

I think I shall try 8 windows on one by one manual refresh next time.

Yeah same here. Got tickets at either my first or second attempt in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (including getting through 3 times in the main sale in 2016), and now haven't had a sniff for the last 6 sales. Assumed I was just going through a stage of bad luck with it tbh.

I'm sure in the past I've blocked myself by hammering F5, but then so many people say that's what they do and they get tickets I wasn't sure.  Don't forget if you've got multiple people in your house trying thats multiple hits from the same IP!  I copied the link and as just doing 'paste & go' every so often, probably between 5-10 seconds

I still can't get it to reach the holding page as you've described, but a quick double click on the refresh button is guaranteed to get me a blank page every time.

Edit: Just tried in Chrome using Cmd+R and it's doing it now.

Edited by musky

3 minutes ago, billum said:

I wonder if something about Chrome is making this more likely to happen then?

or is it that Chrome is the only browser that will load quick enough to allow the limit to be hit?

My Firefox doesn't load anywhere quick enough to get near....

Just now, parsonjack said:

or is it that Chrome is the only browser that will load quick enough to allow the limit to be hit?

Yes could be - although I've just made a note to myself that Firefox is the most consistent browser for being successful in all the sales I've tried for. Could all be just coincidence of course!

Not sure if relevant but when i was F5ing normally the URL showing was ending in 1100001, but when I got a touch over enthusiastic and stated hammering away on the keyboard I think (but not 100%) that the URL then switched to one ending in 1035046.

'Course, that might be me just tallking tosh but that is what it seemed, unless it was just some kind of overflow/capacity management switch.

Edit: was using Firefox with Adblockers off - tried on Chrome and Edge and got absolutely nowhere even near the holding page.

Edited by Copperface

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Not sure if relevant but when i was F5ing normally the URL showing was ending in 1100001, but when I got a touch over enthusiastic and stated hammering away on the keyboard I think (but not 100%) that the URL then switched to one ending in 1035046.

'Course, that might be me just tallking tosh but that is what it seemed, unless it was just some kind of overflow/capacity management switch.

I think they had server problems at first so swapped systems over hence the url change.

12 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yea, I noticed that Chrome would render the page faster so that might be it. On the other hand I couldn't repeat the fast double click blank screen in Chrome because the refresh button grayed out until the page had loaded.

7 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I noticed that too. Going back in through the main URL initially brought up the 1035046 one, but doing it again the returned the 1100001 address. I ended up using both the URLs in different browsers.

Edited by musky