Manual F5 now being detected as Multi-Hit?

parsonjack

5 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I was on my iPhone , got to the page , hit refresh , got to the next page. Realised I didn't have the details ready. Went up stairs got a pen . Wrote them down . I then entered these. 

I thought this will have timed out now. Boom it went through . It now said enter card details my wallet was up stairs again . Off I walked up stairs got my wallet, came back down entered my details. Boom I had s ticket.

Haha, I'm just amazed that you could forget to have your card next to you when you started refreshing! 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Haha, I'm just amazed that you could forget to have your card next to you when you started refreshing! 

I only refreshed once. I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near the ticket page. I've tried and failed at this so many times . I didn't expect today to be any different. Refreshed once straight on ticket got 

6 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I was on my iPhone , got to the page , hit refresh , got to the next page. Realised I didn't have the details ready. Went up stairs got a pen . Wrote them down . I then entered these. 

I thought this will have timed out now. Boom it went through . It now said enter card details my wallet was up stairs again . Off I walked up stairs got my wallet, came back down entered my details. Boom I had s ticket.

all on my phone whilst doddering around 

Hahaha reading this would've pissed me right if I didn't get tickets

I had the buy page open and reg numbers entered but no matter what it wouldn't let me enter my card details. Was in at 9:07 and thought we'd nailed it, gutted is an understatement and am planning a Barcelona break for that weekend.

First one since 2006 i've missed.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes, but I suppose at different speeds. I thought I was rapidly refreshing until I read this thread- doubt if I clocked up more than one refresh per second for the most part, you fast-fingered fiends!

The holding page did indeed switch from:

http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/event/glastonbury-2017/worthy-farm/1100001

to

http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/event/glastonbury-2017/worthy-farm/1035046

midway through. I don't think it was a straight forward server switch, because if you went back to the start (and typed in glastonbury.seetickets.com), then you'd go pack on the 1100001 path. 1035046 showed its face right about the time that people started reporting unavailability problems.

I got the 1035046 url at 9:04 when I went through to the registration page, had issues with proceeding to the payment details page however was successful in the end. I think they may have added an extra step for allocating the tickets from the reg details to payment details pages.

I got moved from the 01 to the 46 URL quite soon, and didn't get the original URL even when I typed in the shorter URL of Glastonbury.seetickets.com.

The issue I had was on Chrome, refreshing at less than once a second, I got the ticket page in 10 minutes, yet every entry gave me a "tickets aren't available" red text, no matter which of the groups I was trying for was typed in. Eventually, I got the message that the registration numbers had been used as the others in our group were successful, but I still got this no tickets available text, when plainly the tickets HADN'T been sold out at that point, and the people whose details I was using DIDN'T have tickets. The red text appeared on the ticket page, it didn't resolve back to the standard sold out page. I could even ctrl f5 and maintain the ticket page to try again.

Anybody else see this? Cookies and pop ups were allowed in the browser.  Gutted for one of our groups because of this.

Once you got through to the payment page they reserved your tickets for about 3 minutes. Towards the end of the sale there would have been a few tickets going back into the pot which would explain why there was poor availability towards the end before it had sold out.

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

They shouldn't set the detect rate at that which can be reasonably easily achieved by a human though.

If that is the only detect rate then it's easily subverted by a human too, and I think that'd be kinda the point. Honestly don't see it as anyone being wronged - it's just luck of the draw.

The Glasto info section says that tickets bought using multi-hit software will be cancelled so we'll see if that happens to anyone pressing F5 constantly but I'd be amazed if it does. The Refreshinator was going at like 0.01 second a go and nobody is getting near that on their keyboard.

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

They shouldn't set the detect rate at that which can be reasonably easily achieved by a human though.

There will always be a balance though. My pages take longer than a second to load after I hit refresh so there's no way I could anywhere near 60 times per minute.

And remember whatever they set it at, someone can just set an auto-refresher to that limit. So if it's 59 times a minute you can set the program to that and everyone can use it...

2 hours ago, Raincatcher said:

I got the 1035046 url at 9:04 when I went through to the registration page, had issues with proceeding to the payment details page however was successful in the end. I think they may have added an extra step for allocating the tickets from the reg details to payment details pages.

I think that happened to me as well. Clicked buy several times before the payment screen came up. When I confirmed the order, nothing happened, like it had frozen, then it timed out. Went back to reg page but couldn't get forward again, but it said my details had already purchased.

Couldn't do anything till the email came through! 

Just happened when I tested it. I have pretty quick internet, and a fast finger, so I managed to hit it within about 30 secs! That is very worrying.

What even is the problem of refreshing really fast for Glasto tickets? It's not like touts can get a hold of them like normal gigs.

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Just happened when I tested it. I have pretty quick internet, and a fast finger, so I managed to hit it within about 30 secs! That is very worrying.

What even is the problem of refreshing really fast for Glasto tickets? It's not like touts can get a hold of them like normal gigs.

It's to stop people from using multi-hit software, but you'd think the rate would be set a little higher than was achievable for a person

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Well they aren't supposed to block those that are just refreshing fast, if they are doing so manually. The idea is to block multi-hit software, which refreshes faster than a human can, thus giving an unfair advantage to those using it. 

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

Well they aren't supposed to block those that are just refreshing fast, if they are doing so manually. The idea is to block multi-hit software, which refreshes faster than a human can, thus giving an unfair advantage to those using it. 

1 minute ago, verrymerry said:

It's to stop people from using multi-hit software, but you'd think the rate would be set a little higher than was achievable for a person

But I still don't understand why the software would really be a problem for GF, provided my understanding of it is correct (That is basically refreshes a page REALLY FAST)... Like, if you DO get through, there already measures in place to stop those fuckhead touts getting anything from it, such as the reg numbers and photo IDs

3 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

This.

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

But I still don't understand why the software would really be a problem for GF, provided my understanding of it is correct (That is basically refreshes a page REALLY FAST)... Like, if you DO get through, there already measures in place to stop those fuckhead touts getting anything from it, such as the reg numbers and photo IDs

Even if they are buying tickets for themselves, rather than touting, the system is supposed to be as 'fair' as possible, ie everyone competing on a level playing field. If using software designed to send thousands of requests per minute, blocking up the servers, it renders the system unfair. 

Yeah, some people probably have faster fingers than others, but they are still competing on more or less the same basis. 

Just now, somecoolusername said:

Even if they are buying tickets for themselves, rather than touting, the system is supposed to be as 'fair' as possible, ie everyone competing on a level playing field. If using software designed to send thousands of requests per minute, blocking up the servers, it renders the system unfair. 

Yeah, some people probably have faster fingers than others, but they are still competing on more or less the same basis. 

I see. I suppose they should have set the bar a lot higher than that then, because I just did an online click speed test, and I can do 6 clicks a second, haha!

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

I see. I suppose they should have set the bar a lot higher than that then, because I just did an online click speed test, and I can do 6 clicks a second, haha!

Well this is the question - are they locking out people that are manually refreshing, and just doing so very fast?

I wasn't trying for tickets today so I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

^ this

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

Exactly.  If you're going to make the playing field as level as you can you might as well remove all elements of perseverance, skill, endurance and determination and deploy a simple ballot - which ironically is being voted heavily against in a separate thread.

6 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Well this is the question - are they locking out people that are manually refreshing, and just doing so very fast?

I wasn't trying for tickets today so I have no idea.

It seems so.  F5 more than 60 times in a minute and the holding page loads until you either wait 20 seconds for it to refresh, or slow your F5 rate before you hit the limit.  Problem is that in a sale scenario you don't know if you are on the holding page because of overall demand, or because they don't like your fast fingers.