Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

9 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Today's first timer is tomorrow's you. It stands to reason if you've never been to Glastonbury you don't know how good it is, how many people in the past might have casually registered after a band they liked was announced, and then became hooked once they went for the first time? Why would Glastonbury want to prevent that situation.

I'm not saying new people should not go to glasto old son my WHOLE point is is that people have a WHOLE bloody YEAR to get registered... Christ the registration lasts 3 or 4 years.. 

If you look at the Glastonbury festival site it say be quick registration closes in so and so weeks before tickets go on sale.. But my argument is the fact that you me and thousands of others found a few minutes in our otherwise busy lives to take a sodding photo upload it and get registered.. Done end ov... 

But then tickets go on sale sell out in 5 seconds and there's thousands of people looking at the resale for a hope of getting a ticket.. Only to have to go up against a hell of a lot more than they would have to go up against if registration wasn't reopened.. 

And you can't say people may have just found Glastonbury Festival.... If you've been to a country fair to your local fair.. To little festivals held in your area YOU Will know about Glastonbury so you will have a least looked it up talked about it read about it and EVERYWHERE you hear, see or look you will see that to go to this particular festival you NEED to be registered.. 

Again your argument doesn't wash old son.. If I failed to register and missed out then I would expect everyone to turn round and say unlucky old son... Should have sorted it out.. It's nothing to do with with old, young, veteran or newbie it goes for everyone you have a year to get registered why should others miss out just cos you lazy and then lucky.. 

At least if you didn't tickets then you know everyone was on the same level.. How hard is this concept to understand.. We're you registered or did you get registered after you saw that Radiohead.. Foos.. Were playing... 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, guypjfreak said:

I'm not saying new people should not go to glasto old son my WHOLE point is is that people have a WHOLE bloody YEAR to get registered... Christ the registration lasts 3 or 4 years.. 

If you look at the Glastonbury festival site it say be quick registration closes in so and so weeks before tickets go on sale.. But my argument is the fact that you me and thousands of others found a few minutes in our otherwise busy lives to take a sodding photo upload it and get registered.. Done end ov... 

But then tickets go on sale sell out in 5 seconds and there's thousands of people looking at the resale for a hope of getting a ticket.. Only to have to go up against a hell of a lot more than they would have to go up against if registration wasn't reopened.. 

And you can't say people may have just found Glastonbury Festival.... If you've been to a country fair to your local fair.. To little festivals held in your area YOU Will know about Glastonbury so you will have a least looked it up talked about it read about it and EVERYWHERE you hear, see or look you will see that to go to this particular festival you NEED to be registered.. 

Again your argument doesn't wash old son.. If I failed to register and missed out then I would expect everyone to turn round and say unlucky old son... Should have sorted it out.. It's nothing to do with with old, young, veteran or newbie it goes for everyone you have a year to get registered why should others miss out just cos you lazy and then lucky.. 

At least if you didn't tickets then you know everyone was on the same level.. How hard is this concept to understand.. We're you registered or did you get registered after you saw that Radiohead.. Foos.. Were playing... 

It's not an argument though, it's just a fact. Glastonbury registration is open all year round it doesn't close as such, it's not like a football transfer window. they put a deadline for submitting registrations just before each sale for obvious reasons, it's then opened up as soon as possible afterwards. As I previously stated, the person who sees Radiohead announced and signs up to try in the resale could very well absolutely love it, and go for the next 10 years plus. While that scenario may annoy you and seem unfair, Why on earth would Glastonbury themselves not want that situation?

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's not an argument though, it's just a fact. Glastonbury registration is open all year round it doesn't close as such, it's not like a football transfer window. they put a deadline for submitting registrations just before each sale for obvious reasons, it's then opened up as soon as possible afterwards. Afs I previously stated, the person who sees Radiohead announced and signs up to try in the resale could very well absolutely love it, and go for the next 10 years plus. While that scenario may annoy you and seem unfair, Why on earth would Glastonbury themselves not want that situation?

No wonder I don't like bloody football.. Let's agree to disagree.. 

Edited by guypjfreak

Nah I've got a mate that has / had only one leg.. He could not go last year cos the idiot has lost the other leg in an accident but he still made sure he was reged up. 

I'm against the ballot system but just say they had that system you would not be able to be just added to the list would you.. 

All I'm saying and I'm not sure why you don't get it is this. 

Glastonbury Festival the biggest festival of its kind if you want to go to it then at some point in time you would have looked it up or read about ect and you will know that you need to be registered.. 

Now if ever thought you were going abroad you'd get a passport so if for any reason I said let's go you would be OK 

Same goes for Glastonbury.. Only it is free to register for Glastonbury 

I've got friends........ Believe it or not........... That say every year I want to Go to Glastonbury and they know that they need to be registered but they do not do it.. Well every year I get Guy old son can you help get me tickets and I say the same thing get reged up and well help.. October comes tickets go on sale and they sell out and then there like O I wanted to go.. I'm like did you get reged up there like no I'm like UNLUCKY..... And NO I don't help them.. I'll help them next year if there sorted but no Old son you had a ages to sort it.. I'm not going to help them when others that were unlucky enough not to get a ticket and who were registered a year ago would like to try in the resale. It's not fair.. 

Anyway it's all fubar for those with out tickets so I hope they catch some secret sales.. As long as they were registered before the October sales Lololol.. Joke.. 

21 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not wishing to perpetuate any stereotypes, but any scousers I've ever spoken to have always insisted the vast majority of them bunked in.

Why say you're not wishing to perpetuate any stereotypes, then immediately do so? Were you powerless to stop yourself or were you being disingenuous? 

My brother wanted to go this year after I told him about all the fun I had last year. I told him first off you have to register and then we can try for tickets in October.  A few days before tickets went on sale he messaged me...I asked if he had registered? No he hadn't.  He was mad I didn't remind him. For me it wasn't the mindset "if you can't remember to register you don't deserve to go" because I know he has a busy life....but the thing with him is I would be reminding him to register, reminding him to buy a tent, reminding him to not die in a puddle, and glastonbury is just too much freedom for me to bring someone along who isn't accountable for themselves. 

I told him there was a resale if he wanted to try he had to register. Guess who still hasn't registered :rolleyes:

I guess a bit off topic, but my point overall is that the truly lazy won't register even when the window opens back up again. I bet there aren't enough registration add ons after October for it to make a huge difference. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Why say you're not wishing to perpetuate any stereotypes, then immediately do so? Were you powerless to stop yourself or were you being disingenuous? 

I don't know, I didn't give it a huge amount of thought before I posted it, maybe a bit of both? What I do know is that I started taking to a chap from Liverpool last year, he said he was feeling really unwell as he had taken a bad pill and could he sit in the seat I was sitting in. Of course I agreed, his mates came over to see if he was ok, I started talking to one of them and he said he was in a group of about 15 scousers and nearly all of them had bunked in, he said some had snuck in with contractors, and that he couldn't tell me how others had got in, but nearly all of them didn't have wristbands on.

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don't know, I didn't give it a huge amount of thought before I posted it, maybe a bit of both? What I do know is that I started taking to a chap from Liverpool last year, he said he was feeling really unwell as he had taken a bad pill and could he sit in the seat I was sitting in. Of course I agreed, his mates came over to see if he was ok, I started talking to one of them and he said he was in a group of about 15 scousers and nearly all of them had bunked in, he said some had snuck in with contractors, and that he couldn't tell me how others had got in, but nearly all of them didn't have wristbands on.

Where are you from

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Before I answer, what exactly is the relevance?

So we can judge you and make sweeping generalisations about 'your kind' so you can see what it's like to be on the receiving end of stereotyping and maybe see the error of your ways, of course! 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

So we can judge you and make sweeping generalisations about 'your kind' so you can see what it's like to be on the receiving end of stereotyping and maybe see the error of your ways, of course! 

So when did copying the actions someone else that you obviously disagree with become a way of proving a point?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I expect they were winding you up as you seemed a bit dim

On 24/04/2017 at 9:59 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Today's first timer is tomorrow's you. It stands to reason if you've never been to Glastonbury you don't know how good it is, how many people in the past might have casually registered after a band they liked was announced, and then became hooked once they went for the first time? Why would Glastonbury want to prevent that situation.

This was me in 2010. Got a ticket in the resale purely after U2 were announced. Figured we might as well still go after they pulled out at short notice and the rest is history. I've gone every year since, buying tickets in the main sale regardless of who may be playing. 

I like this system, but I haven't ever failed to get tickets. I completely get that I am at an advantage though due to the sheer number of people I have trying for me come ticket day. It may all down to be chance but a dozen people hitting f5 stand more of a chance of someone being successful than just me hitting it. 

A ballot probably would be fairer, but that is only if it is able to be strictly policed so you can't enter the ballot with a dozen different email addresses. Then it purely would be a game of chance with no outside influences 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A whole sample size of about 15 then? Wow! 

I'm a scouser. I camp with about 20 other scousers. We all buy our tickets on ticket day.  Your sample size has now increased for a more balanced view. 

I have lived in Yorkshire for 25 years though so you would expect me to REALLY bunk in if we are going with stereotypes as you'd think I'd be too tight to pay for a ticket 

*rolls eyes*

Edited by Digi

7 minutes ago, Digi said:

A whole sample size of about 15 then? Wow! 

I'm a scouser. I camp with about 20 other scousers. We all buy our tickets on ticket day.  Your sample size has now increased for a more balanced view. 

I have lived in Yorkshire for 25 years though so you would expect me to REALLY bunk in if we are going with stereotypes as you'd think I'd be too tight to pay for a ticket 

*rolls eyes*

So you're saying only half of all scousers bunk in?

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So you're saying only half of all scousers bunk in?

My hypotheses would be something a long the lines of more scousers buy tickets than don't. The forums tend to be full of 'scousers have bought all the tickets' on ticket day so we can't all be bunking in too

22 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

How the fuck did we let you in to Yorkshire?!?!??!

Ha! I have absolutely NO idea! I reckon my first marriage lasted as long as it did as we spent the first six years not having a fucking clue what the other was saying 

Problem I see with a ballot compared to how it currently is, would it be only solo entries into the ballot?
Or would you have group entries? Would it be more beneficial to enter on your own or as a group? Which has the higher chance?
If it was only individual entries what if there is a group of eight of you wanting to go but only seven get tickets? That would be utterly devastating for the one without a ticket and the seven who got tickets wouldn't feel particularly great about it either.

What if only two people out of a large group got a ticket and they were two of the least known to each other?
What if no two people from any group got tickets together and everyone at Glastonbury was going and camping on their own?
(Actually I think this last one would make for a really interesting festival - do it..)