Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

Last year, I got 2 tickets in the flash resale shortly after the main resale. Tickets were available for about 60 seconds, no joke.

I was in work, using normal internet, keeping an eye on the page and just being determined enough to get 'em.

So no, I don't think there's any way to get an advantage over anyone else!

Although all that being said, we were unlucky this year :(

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Didn't sell out in 2008 and didn't sell out in 2009 until late April. Selling out so quickly is a relatively new thing. The festival were shitting themselves in the late 00s. Can't see them turning away potential new customers. 

2008 sold out the week of the festival. Maybe as late as the Thursday or even Friday.

37 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Glastonbury isn't really like any other business old son.. How many businesses sell out 3. Months after the last open day.. When everyone of us don't know what we will be doing in a years time don't know the weather. Don't know if you will have a job. Don't know if you will still be married and living happily with your family and friends fuck you don't even know your going to be alive BUT we all buy there tickets don't we..

We all make sure that we have sorted out the fact that we can buy those tickets and they sell out every year..... OK you might get a blip but Wot business doesn't.... But there's enough people who have registered that will still sell it out in the resale with out having to open it up to those that could not be bothered UNTIL they see something they like. 

Christ Id love to be able to know whether there's a band that I like before I buy my tickets but it's Glastonbury so you don't you buy blind.. I really feel bad for Mr Smith that has been registered since September the 1st and loves the Foos. But didn't get a ticket because Mr lazy twat saw that the Foos were playing quickly got registered and the got a ticket.. 

It's not fair. 

I love pearl jam and I always hope they will someday play but I'd be right pissed if I who goes out of my way to get sorted doesn't get a second chance because when they reopened the registration lots of people got registered and one of those got a ticket.. 

If you are reged up great if not unlucky.. End ov 

.. Chat later.. Granddaughter needs me 

Peace 

Today's first timer is tomorrow's you. It stands to reason if you've never been to Glastonbury you don't know how good it is, how many people in the past might have casually registered after a band they liked was announced, and then became hooked once they went for the first time? Why would Glastonbury want to prevent that situation.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

I was making a clear distinction between fairness and a way of manipulating the system. And I wasn't suggesting you need a big group either. A committed core will do.

someone with 100 friends will have a massive advantage over someone with 1 friend. That's not a fair system is it? A ballot would equalise this

20 hours ago, JoBalls said:

The only thing I would change is that I wouldn't re-open registration after the initial ticket sale, so the resale is restricted to only people who tried in October and couldn't get through. 

Actually I would change one more thing...

I'd have it so that once you'd put your registration numbers in the tickets were effectively "held" for two minutes or so, to give you a chance to fill in the rest of the information needed.

I think it's the most soul crushing thing (more so than not getting through at all) to get all the way to pressing "pay now" and then the message coming up saying sorry but it's all sold out.

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

How does it make it harder.. And as for time.. Come on you have all year ALL year to register its hardly the krypton factor is it.. If you can't get yourself registered in a year then that's tough titties old son. Im sure if you were going on holiday and needed a passport you would soon sort that out. 

Your argument doesn't stand up old son 

Stop registration for lazy barstools 

Wonderful '80s reference, old son! Personally i'd've gone for 321 with Ted Rogers.

To translate for the yoof:

"...it's hardly the Cube is it?"

Or:

"...it's hardly Tipping Point".

Ahem. 

29 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

2008 sold out the week of the festival. Maybe as late as the Thursday or even Friday.

Putting the cynical hat on for a sec, they had to get very erm, "creative" with the tickets to sell it out. Ie they were selling day tickets and have to assume were giving them away too.

Either way the festival doesnt assume itll sell out every year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/articles/2008/10/02/glastonbury_ticket_feature.shtml

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Putting the cynical hat on for a sec, they had to get very erm, "creative" with the tickets to sell it out. Ie they were selling day tickets and have to assume were giving them away too.

Either way the festival doesnt assume itll sell out every year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/articles/2008/10/02/glastonbury_ticket_feature.shtml

Where is the evidence for them "giving away" tickets?

In terms of why '08 was a slog to sell tickets, the usual miscreants to blame as ever.

- 2007 weather put loads off

- 2008 line up, not just JayZ mind

- Competing festival line ups elsewhere were byandlarge tempting

- Global economic uncertainty

- - -

If anything the slight lethargy with 2009 is more of a mystery to me.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

In terms of why '08 was a slog to sell tickets, the usual miscreants to blame as ever.

- 2007 weather put loads off

- 2008 line up, not just JayZ mind

- Competing festival line ups elsewhere were byandlarge tempting

- Global economic uncertainty

- - -

2009 was a brilliant year, and I wonder how much of that is down to the crowd not just being composed of the glastonbury ultra obsessives. 

53 minutes ago, russycarps said:

someone with 100 friends will have a massive advantage over someone with 1 friend. That's not a fair system is it? A ballot would equalise this

Not sure about a Ballot, but you should just have to log in to SeeTickets with your Glasto Reg number, once you've purchased a set of tickets you're put behind any users that haven't yet.  6 tix is a enough to have fun with your mates, you could stil potentially get more after others with none get a chance. 

Be nice to see lots of different smaller groups at Glasto than Dave and his 30 mates that manage to get them every year

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The 2009 tickets being (relatively) slow to sell is fairly easily explained. Yes, for those of us that went 2008 was a fantastic festival, but for those that didn't go the lineup was perceived to be poor - the absolute highlight wasn't shown (and barely mentioned) on the TV coverage so for the viewer sitting at home it won't have seemed that great.

2009 was also the first year of the deposit scheme with an October sale, previously people were used to buying their tickets in April - and that combined with the lack of a sell-out in 2008 presumably meant people were far more relaxed about getting it sorted than they are now (or had been in 04-07).

Was running around like a loon that Sunday, Incident.

I **legged it** after the panto act that was Neil Diamond. Caught some of Cohen in between Eddy Grant (a hoot) and Solomon Burke (a genuinely moving experience) over on the JW.

Im one of the very few on here that really enjoyed the Verve that night too, so the festival finished really strongly for me (for once) that year.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The line up was strong, but it was also unusually retro-slanted.  Closest the place has got to Oldchella.

Think you're swimming in your own lane about the relative strength of that line up. Lot of people view it as the deep pit of the landfill-indie years.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Soz...crossed wires due to near simultaneous posting. Talking about 2009.

2008 is ropey as. The Friday is the go to example of the worst ever day that's been scheduled on the Pyramid.

Strongest Pyramid line up I can recall mate. I'd take it.

Meanwhile, the Other Stage was populated with aural laxatives like Glasvegas and Pendulum.

I've never got close to a booking page - just been lucky to be in a big group of others who got through. Seems the more people you have trying the better.

That being said, none of our group got through on the resales last week for the last few tickets we were after.

I saw 5/9 on the Friday Pyramid in 2008. Ah, to be 20 again!

I know the 2008 ticket sale was slightly different to what we know now, but if they hadn't have allowed late registrations, I wouldn't have gone that year and maybe would never have gone. In fact, if it wasn't for a friend wantng to see Jay-Z, we probably would have gone to Reading. So I'm all for reopening the registration period.

30 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Not sure about a Ballot, but you should just have to log in to SeeTickets with your Glasto Reg number, once you've purchased a set of tickets you're put behind any users that haven't yet.  6 tix is a enough to have fun with your mates, you could stil potentially get more after others with none get a chance. 

Be nice to see lots of different smaller groups at Glasto than Dave and his 30 mates that manage to get them every year

This isnt a terrible idea.

I'm very against a ballot like most. For things like Wimbledon/ Olympics I think ballot's are an okay way to do it, but glastonbury have some different factors involved - which I'm sure have been discussed at length in here (I couldnt be arsed to read it all)

Being someone that has a perfect 8-0 failing record in the sales (the streak is still going!), but still having got tickets for 2 Glastonbury's now, I do understand the more friends more chance argument. Maybe a system like you say where you have to sign in before attempting for tickets has some legs in making it slightly fairer, it would still favour big groups but not as much.

Edited by mjsell

50 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

None apart from knowing that Glasto not selling out is a PR disaster. Week of the festival, ticket crew tell Eavis theres a few thousand tickets left, Eavis isn't happy. 

tenor.gif

Hence we saw tickets being broken down and sold as day tickets, talk of them being sold in HMV, being given away for "spot the bull" competitions and the like.

https://www.loquax.co.uk/blog/competition-news/win-tickets-to-glastonbury-2008-spot-the-bull-99.htm 

50 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

And me. But the 05 storm, the 07 weather and the 08 lineup didn't help. And a big fuck off sized global recession. 

Edited by The Nal

25 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Im one of the very few on here that really enjoyed the Verve that night too, so the festival finished really strongly for me (for once) that year.

I'm with you on this! Ashcroft was supreme that night. It probably helped that my expectations couldnt have been any lower mind.