Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

They wouldn't, but I think it's now in the general sphere of knowledge regarding the festival that tickets are pretty hard to come by.  From that point it's incumbent on someone who really wants to go doing a bit of research to better understand the lie of the land.  I'm not necessarily saying it's fair either, but there's a small improvement in chances for people who lay a lot of groundwork

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get how the current system isn't fair. I wanted to go to Glastonbury for a few years before I actually got tickets, but when I say I wanted to go, I didn't put a huge amount of effort in, I tried but I wasn't very organised. I think the last time I tried before I actually got tickets I was round my girlfriends house trying on my phone, if I had got through I didn't even have my friends reg details to hand. Then I decided I really wanted to go and got my self properly organised and I haven't failed since. I don't see this as any sort of advantage, being organised is something anybody can do first timer or otherwise. The only possible advantage I can concede to is having a lot of friends who all want to go too giving you an advantage over say a couple who have nobody else trying for them, but they only need to be lucky once and the group of friends need to be lucky more than once for them all to go, assuming there is more than 6 of them.

22 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Nope.. Just stop people being able to register after the main sale.. Sorted. 

Exactly, there's enough people who really want to go and haven't waited for the lineup or decided at the last minute "oh it sounds cool", the resale tickets should be for the people who missed out, not newbies :)

22 hours ago, billum said:

Last October I got through to buy tickets an embarrassing number of times, on some very dodgy shared hotel wifi in Cyprus, so I really don't think the wifi is the weak link. Maybe once someone has got through they should be blocked getting through again for 10 mins or something?

Always thought this too, doesn't seem fair when someone can get through twice, get 12 tickets but someone only trying for a couple can't even get through once.

Edited by micropizza

4 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Exactly, there's enough people who really want to go and haven't waited for the lineup or decided at the last minute "oh it sounds cool", the resale tickets should be for the people who missed out, not newbies :)

Always thought this too, doesn't seem fair when someone can get through twice, get 12 tickets but someone only trying for a couple can't even get through once.

You mean the festival should make it harder for people to buy their tickets and give them less time to do it? The festival are in the business of shifting tickets and mainiting the popularity of the festival, why on earth would they want to close registrations for potential new attendees for any longer thank strictly necessary?

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You mean the festival should make it harder for people to buy their tickets and give them less time to do it? The festival are in the business of shifting tickets and mainiting the popularity of the festival, why on earth would they want to close registrations for potential new attendees for any longer thank strictly necessary?

There's easily enough people who missed out on the main sale to fulfill sales of Resale tickets, there's no need for new registrations in the short gap between it and this Resale just passed. 

Those people could have registered before the main sale if they really wanted to go.

Edited by micropizza

Just now, micropizza said:

There's easily enough people who missed out on the main sale to fulfill sales of Resale tickets, there's no need for new registrations in between it and this Resale just passed. 

Those people could have registered before the main sale if they really wanted to go.

But you're looking it from the point of view of a punter who wants a ticket, from the point of view of the Festival why would they do this? You need to look at it the other way round, registration is always open, it's only closed for a small period around the sales. There may be enough demand to cover resale tickets now, but if the festival start putting barriers in the way of new people registering and getting tickets then this may not always be the case.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How does it make it harder.. And as for time.. Come on you have all year ALL year to register its hardly the krypton factor is it.. If you can't get yourself registered in a year then that's tough titties old son. Im sure if you were going on holiday and needed a passport you would soon sort that out. 

Your argument doesn't stand up old son 

Stop registration for lazy barstools 

1 minute ago, guypjfreak said:

How does it make it harder.. And as for time.. Come on you have all year ALL year to register its hardly the krypton factor is it.. If you can't get yourself registered in a year then that's tough titties old son. Im sure if you were going on holiday and needed a passport you would soon sort that out. 

Your argument doesn't stand up old son 

Stop registration for lazy barstools 

How long would you expect any business to last with this attitude towards new customers?

29 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Newcomers are what keeps the festival fresh and what makes it evolve.

There's already too many boring old farts who know how to game the system who have been going for years as it is.

If anything, newcomers should have an advantage in getting a ticket.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Newcomers are what keeps the festival fresh and what makes it evolve.

There's already too many boring old farts who know how to game the system who have been going for years as it is.

If anything, newcomers should have an advantage in getting a ticket.

I agree, just register before the sales start, then they'd have the same two opportunities too if it the middle registration was removed.

To be fair there's probably not that many new registrations in the a gap between the sales anyway that it would make it that much fairer for people who originally missed out anyway.  Just a thought.

Edited by micropizza

The current system is already an electronic lottery of sorts and a ballot would be not much different. It could be worse as it would make it harder for couples, friends, groups etc to all get tickets. Personally I would prefer a system which gave an opportunity to those who missed out the previous year and those who missed out in the main sale. The later could be solved by limiting the resale in the first instance to those who were unsuccessful in the main sale but registered their desire for tickets within say 1 hour of the main sale selling out. The former would be more contentious as it means restricting regular attendees....Food for thought

1 minute ago, micropizza said:

I agree, just register before the sales start, then they'd have the same two opportunities too if it the middle registration was removed.

what if someone decides they want to go after the first sale? What is the positive outcome of restricting people from going?

The argument that people with more friends trying is good in theory...but I went with a group of 3 last year and we all tried but I got through and successfully bought the tickets, the other 2 didn't get off the holding page. This year I tried for 4 of us and no one else was able to try because of unusual circumstances.... I was extremely nervous that I wouldn't succeed and would have less of a chance because of this but I tried as hard as possible and once again got through and bought 4 tickets. I could have bought 1 or I could have bought 6...getting through is about luck and persistence and even if I had 20 friends trying for me I still would have got through.  It is what it is unfortunately, and it does seem like the people who are prepared and persistent seem to get their tickets. 

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

what if someone decides they want to go after the first sale? What is the positive outcome of restricting people from going?

you're not restricting anyone from going, there's thousands that wanted to go on the first sale that missed out, if there was no new registrations, all of those people would have a slightly better chance potentially, you just need to have registered before the sales start, its not that hard.

Edited by micropizza

16 minutes ago, char90 said:

I dunno. The festival seems to be doing allright so far. 

Didn't sell out in 2008 and didn't sell out in 2009 until late April. Selling out so quickly is a relatively new thing. The festival were shitting themselves in the late 00s. Can't see them turning away potential new customers. 

Edited by The Nal

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How long would you expect any business to last with this attitude towards new customers?

Glastonbury isn't really like any other business old son.. How many businesses sell out 3. Months after the last open day.. When everyone of us don't know what we will be doing in a years time don't know the weather. Don't know if you will have a job. Don't know if you will still be married and living happily with your family and friends fuck you don't even know your going to be alive BUT we all buy there tickets don't we..

We all make sure that we have sorted out the fact that we can buy those tickets and they sell out every year..... OK you might get a blip but Wot business doesn't.... But there's enough people who have registered that will still sell it out in the resale with out having to open it up to those that could not be bothered UNTIL they see something they like. 

Christ Id love to be able to know whether there's a band that I like before I buy my tickets but it's Glastonbury so you don't you buy blind.. I really feel bad for Mr Smith that has been registered since September the 1st and loves the Foos. But didn't get a ticket because Mr lazy twat saw that the Foos were playing quickly got registered and the got a ticket.. 

It's not fair. 

I love pearl jam and I always hope they will someday play but I'd be right pissed if I who goes out of my way to get sorted doesn't get a second chance because when they reopened the registration lots of people got registered and one of those got a ticket.. 

If you are reged up great if not unlucky.. End ov 

.. Chat later.. Granddaughter needs me 

Peace 

Current system is a lottery/ballot - you "buy" your ticket with every F5.

The only improvement should be for people with accessibility issues where getting details typed in is a lengthier chore. So my suggestion would be to have people pre-populate their 6 before T-day, then when they get though on T-day it's a confirmation click and done.

This might also scupper the larger groups trying, but that might be a good thing.

This thread is infuriating. There is no fairer way to do it than the current system. All this talk of being able to game the system because you have a bigger friend group is nonsesnse. Yes you have more of a chance if you have more people trying, but that's all it is, more of a chance. 1 person trying 100, it still comes to your luck when you press F5. 

21 minutes ago, micropizza said:

you're not restricting anyone from going, there's thousands that wanted to go on the first sale that missed out, if there was no new registrations, all of those people would have a slightly better chance potentially, you just need to have registered before the sales start, its not that hard.

You're restricting anyone who decides they want to go after the initial sale from going. Why? What does the festival gain by doing this? 

What if you had plans which meant you didnt think you could go in october, but those plans changed and you realised you could go in april. Why should those people be excluded? Or people who have changed jobs, meaning they can now attend. Teachers for example? Why should anyone have an advantage over them? 

The festival is open to everyone, isnt that why we love it? Not just to people who had the foresight to register early.

I still think the festival has just about the fairest possible system for getting tickets. If you're logged on to the site before they go on sale and focus on hitting that sweet F5, you have as much chance as anyone else. No priority sales, no 'golden circle' or any of that nonsense. And it must be the least scalped festival around, or at least one of them.

24 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You're restricting anyone who decides they want to go after the initial sale from going. Why? What does the festival gain by doing this? 

What if you had plans which meant you didnt think you could go in october, but those plans changed and you realised you could go in april. Why should those people be excluded? Or people who have changed jobs, meaning they can now attend. Teachers for example? Why should anyone have an advantage over them? 

The festival is open to everyone, isnt that why we love it? Not just to people who had the foresight to register early.

Have to agree here. Last year we didnt go because we had other things going on, after the sales we realised we could have went, however in our case it was after resales, but if we had known before I'd hate to have missed out due to such a restriction. We were in a similar position this year so bought tickets in the main sale knowing we could cancel if we couldn't go.

I've been lucky enough to have got tickets every year I've wanted to go. Few years were on a poor internet connection in rural Ireland. Just luck of the F5 timing!

Also it was just myself trying for a number of tickets all those years. We had one person per group mostly.

Edited by chrismcb