Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

After failing for tickets for 3 years running I am beginning to think a fairer system would be to apply for tickets either as a group or on your own and then just to be a random draw.

The current system seems to benefit people with faster broadband and people in rural areas have a disadvantage.

This honestly isn't me being bitter cause I didn't get tickets but id be interested to see what people think ?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying this time around for people whilst on holiday in LA.   I was using my mobile and 3G and got through.   I am a firm beliver in just hitting f5... even when it feels hopeless and in most sales I have gotten through to buy or add registrations...

a ballot would change the dynamic and mean even more uncertainty...

This is proposed every single year with the conclusion being that what we currently have is pretty much the fairest system there is.

It's been shown many times that there is practically zero advantage to having a faster internet speed. Provided you can reach the servers then you have as much chance as anyone else.

I think you will find there are lots of people in cities who failed to get tickets as well so broadband speed isn't the reason, supply, demand and luck is the reason. I think more people who really want to go would miss out on going if it was down to a ballot. You would have people who think oh Ed Sheran os playing, lets apply and then think nothing of it again until they get a ticket, but the current way at least you have to be up and refreshing so those people who aren't fussed but wouldn't mind going might still be in bed now.

I must agree I just think it's luck . I decided to try for first time last year got tickets 1 min b4 they sold out.  Had to try again this year and couldn't believe my luck two for two. But did have 4 devices going with all my kids using their various I pads phones etc 

. Equally I know people in work who've gone 10 times and missed out last 2 . So unfortunately if it's meant to be its meant to be . 

6 minutes ago, thesaint78 said:

I guess everyone who says no are sorted for tickets.

Please explain why you don't think it would work

Because you're assuming the current system isn't fair and I can't see how anyone has an advantage over anyone else.  My friends boyfriend got their tickets last year on his phone in a field!

A ballot system would also just end up being like a raffle, people enter and aren't that bothered, but maybe they'll get tickets.  The people trying this morning, as you were, try because they flipping well want to go!

I am really sorry you missed out, and wish you the best of luck if you intend to try for the secret resale, unfortunately a ballot isn't the answer.

11 minutes ago, thesaint78 said:

I guess everyone who says no are sorted for tickets.

Please explain why you don't think it would work

Over the years I have bought tickets for myself and others through the coach, main , resale and secret sales, committing considerable time and effort. Because I REALLY want to go. 

I can see people throwing their hat into the ring in a ballot system 'just to have a go'. 

The current way gives more chance to those who are willing to put the most effort. Sadly some will still miss out (as they always will where demand continues to outstrip supply) but as is has to be the fairest.

Edited by OBface

2 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

No, and that's from a person who has been successful through the current process once in 5 attempts.

Last year my friend was successful in Mongolia of all places. It's fair I'm afraid.

You couldn't get much more remote really could you!  That's some good ticket buying there 

Last October I got through to buy tickets an embarrassing number of times, on some very dodgy shared hotel wifi in Cyprus, so I really don't think the wifi is the weak link. Maybe once someone has got through they should be blocked getting through again for 10 mins or something?