The dark side of the festival

rumpola

One of my cousins has worked at the festival on the stage/crowd management side for a number of years. I was at a family gathering today when he told me a few things about last year that I found quite disturbing.

He told me that last year there was 3 suicides on site. One guy actually doused himself in petrol and burned himself to death in the Perma -culture area, and my cousin had to arrange the medics, the crowd and had to inform his parents who were on-site too. There was a fella that hung himself too which he had to deal with the aftermath. He also mentioned that there were multiple broken legs and ligament injuries where people got stuck in the mud and either got knocked over or hurt themselves getting out.

This made me think that do we, as punters, realise all the shit that goes on back of house and the hard work people do to keep it running and to keep things away from the general public so to avoid panic/worry?

My cousin is adamant that the festival has too many people on-site and its only a matter of time before something tragic occurs, which is why after this year he is knocking it on the head. He mentioned that at Arcadia last year when Carl Cox played, there were 35,000 people in that small area and he had all the responsibility for their welfare which is a massive pressure and quite scary.

Thoughts?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, rumpola said:

One of my cousins has worked at the festival on the stage/crowd management side for a number of years. I was at a family gathering today when he told me a few things about last year that I found quite disturbing.

He told me that last year there was 3 suicides on site. One guy actually doused himself in petrol and burned himself to death in the Perma -culture area, and my cousin had to arrange the medics, the crowd and had to inform his parents who were on-site too. There was a fella that hung himself too which he had to deal with the aftermath. He also mentioned that there were multiple broken legs and ligament injuries where people got stuck in the mud and either got knocked over or hurt themselves getting out.

This made me think that do we, as punters, realise all the shit that goes on back of house and the hard work people do to keep it running and to keep things away from the general public so to avoid panic/worry?

My cousin is adamant that the festival has too many people on-site and its only a matter of time before something tragic occurs, which is why after this year he is knocking it on the head. He mentioned that at Arcadia last year when Carl Cox played, there were 35,000 people in that small area and he had all the responsibility for their welfare which is a massive pressure and quite scary.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are always how bloody incredible the festival staff are. With such a large event accidents are very likely to happen but they always deal with them so fantastically. 

Always sad to hear of people taking their own life. The samaritans do have a tent at the festival I believe 

Edited by Lucy92

11 minutes ago, rumpola said:

Thoughts?

You haven't mentioned the flying bunny rabbits. One of them hits you and it's game over man. It's a fucking scary place at times but bollocks to it I really would rather get a ticket tomorrow morning than not get a ticket. 

so following on from this, my first ever Glastonbury i was at a phone charging tent and there was a security guard who asked me to charge his phone for him when i went in. So being the nice guy i am i did. Handed him his phone back on the way out and never thought anything of it (day 2 of the festival).

Monday morning and i must be the last person leaving the main site, i really took my time. It was my first glastonbury and it was incredible so i took loads of pit stops. ate, had a few drinks. I cant remember where i was exactly but i see a security guard sprinting and as he gets closer its the guy from the phone tent. So i ask him where is he going so quick?

his answer was "ive been put on the graveyard run, i have to go into all the corners and look for dead bodies. I cant do that man, no way. I cant do it, they found people last year... i need to go."

He then continued running. 

If there were deaths of any sort at Glastonbury surely they would be reported and there would be a coroners inquest. Apart from the poor guy before the festival last year (petrol incident) I don't recall anything being reported.....

2 minutes ago, JamboNelly said:

Absolute bollocks!

ligament injuries yes.

the poor guy who died as far as I remember was using cooking stove in tent and did not douse himself in petrol.

It was a suicide and he did douse himself in petrol, there's a lot of details here. It was an absolutely terrible situation, but I don't see that the Festival could have realistically done anything more than they did. It was a few days before gates opened as well so crowds won't be a factor.

11 minutes ago, JamboNelly said:

Absolute bollocks!

ligament injuries yes.

the poor guy who died as far as I remember was using cooking stove in tent and did not douse himself in petrol.

Shit trolling!!

Definitely not trolling. He has absolutely no reason to lie and has been involved in this side of things for a very long time. It was nothing to do with a cooking stove, it was an apparent protest. 

Anyway, the point I was trying to raise was, the guys and gals that keep the festival running do a stellar job amid some very trying circumstances

I was one of the unlucky 'stuck in mud' injuries - a very severe and complicated break in 2014 ended my festival early on the Saturday night. Festival staff and Festival Medical were not, at the time, very good in dealing with the situation of the break or my particular medical needs - a sober woman with a break was not considered a priority despite some medical complications that I tried in vain to make clear - this led to the injury being far more difficult and time consuming to fix than it would ordinarily have been. (and I'm not open to discussing that further any more lest I get accused, as I was at the time, of being an ungrateful diva; suffice to say my consultant who had to operate to put the ankle back together was livid at the state I was left in, and that has been fed back to FM).

However what struck me most in my extended wait to be taken offsite to hospital was the sheer number of ketheads and other out of control victims of drink and drugs. Staff (volunteers!) were having to deal with some revolting behaviour and people in the most horrific circumstances with extremely limited resources - no hot water, no blankets, broken tables and chairs, one wheelchair with a flat tyre for the whole of FM, no crutches, one accessible loo... It also struck me how much people think they're immune from drink and drugs just because they're at Glastonbury. The number of victims there alone also made me think about how little some people look out for their (so-called) friends which is very sad.

The staff at Yeovil hospital A&E are unseen and unsung heroes - they get huge amounts of extra work over the festival weekend and are superb.

1 minute ago, rumpola said:

Definitely not trolling. He has absolutely no reason to lie and has been involved in this side of things for a very long time. It was nothing to do with a cooking stove, it was an apparent protest.

Not a protest.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As in the OP is talking bullshit or the rebuttal is bullshit?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/glastonbury-performer-ashton-launcherley-died-after-being-found-doused-in-petrol-inquest-hears

The rebuttal. It's not a secret, I remember there was a thread here when the air ambulance was called in and then the unfortunate details emerged.

Edited by Chawk

i definitely saw someone break their ankle / tear ankle ligaments on the entrance to shangri la last year. it was really sad she was with her partner and she was crying. it was really sad and kinda made me leave shangri la instantly. it was dangerously muddy / busy and we just got out.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

It was a suicide and he did douse himself in petrol, there's a lot of details here. It was an absolutely terrible situation, but I don't see that the Festival could have realistically done anything more than they did. It was a few days before gates opened as well so crowds won't be a factor.

That's terrible. I remember it happening and the general thoughts at the time were that it was related to an accidental fire.

I don't recall any reports of other deaths during last years festival and certainly no other suicides. 

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Not a protest.

Maybe, maybe not. I can only repeat what I was told. My main point was, he found it very difficult to cope with a variety of situations with regards to getting medics to various locations, dealing with the public that have seen said incidents and then speaking to the family members of the people that have committed suicide for whatever reason. In my eyes, it seems to be a really thankless task

Out of the 250k people onsite (not sure if thats the exact amount) i would have thought the percentage of deaths is quite low. It's sad that anyone dies but imagine the festival being a town, within the 5-6 days people will die in that town. Factor in the drink/drug use i'm amazed more people don't pass. 

8 minutes ago, rumpola said:

Anyway, the point I was trying to raise was, the guys and gals that keep the festival running do a stellar job amid some very trying circumstances

Apologies, I stand corrected. 

Remember it first coming out as such but then being reported as tent fire.

people hanging therselves though!!???

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Out of the 250k people onsite (not sure if thats the exact amount) i would have thought the percentage of deaths is quite low. It's sad that anyone dies but imagine the festival being a town, within the 5-6 days people will die in that town. Factor in the drink/drug use i'm amazed more people don't pass. 

Yeh, I think at other festivals, BoomTown springs to mind in particular, they have a lot more problems like that

I have no idea what anyone could have done to stop people falling over in the mud last year though! My ex fell over and twisted his knee. It was swollen for weeks. Shutting parts of the festival off would presumably just lead to more crowding elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As in the OP is talking bullshit or the rebuttal is bullshit?

JamboNelly's post is bullshit.

I was close enough to tell you that it was a suicide. Sit in hedge and pour petrol over yourself kind of suicide. Left a huge number of lovely people really rather traumatised for the rest of the festival.

Re the original post, the festival is a whole lot safer and much less mental/hardcore than it was twenty and more years ago.

Back in the day it felt and was really quite edgy and dangerous compared with today.

I've been to every Glastonbury since '85, lived on the road in the thick of it, seen the changes. These days the festival is like a Women's Institute tea party in comparison.

Just now, JamboNelly said:

Apologies, I stand corrected. 

Remember it first coming out as such but then being reported as tent fire.

people hanging therselves though!!???

Apparently so. As I said, he has no reason to lie and he would've been the person responsible for controlling these situations.

Honestly, I was more shocked with the fact this never became common knowledge considering these things would be tabloid fodder generally.

Unfortunately Glastonbury is just like any other large town or city of 200,000 people- there are always going to be some tragedies, accidents or medical incidents. There have even been the odd births! I am constantly surprised there aren't more incidents and overall it is a remarkably safe place over 5 days. But there sadly have been a few deaths over the years - natural causes ( MP in the portaloo), drug related deaths etc. And there have always been accidents -  people climbing over the fence and injuries from slipping in the mud. 

I do think the numbers are now too high and it can get scary in the crush at times though. And the mud can be pretty dangerous- especially round the SE corner at times. I avoid it now if it's too much. 

4 minutes ago, rumpola said:

Maybe, maybe not. I can only repeat what I was told. My main point was, he found it very difficult to cope with a variety of situations with regards to getting medics to various locations, dealing with the public that have seen said incidents and then speaking to the family members of the people that have committed suicide for whatever reason. In my eyes, it seems to be a really thankless task

Read the inquest results, there's a detailed account of what happened (and what led up to it happening). Tragic situation and not helped by rumours such as "it was a protest", regardless of how involved the person they came from was. Not specifically saying this is what you (or he) are doing, but as a society we seem all too quick to sidestep mental health issues by explaining them away so when we know better than that (via the inquest results) we shouldn't repeat those rumours anymore.

Having worked at Glastonbury and also other Festivals, I do think that Glastonbury is better than most when it comes to capability to respond to situations. I've been in a situation where I and my colleagues (with no medical training between us) have had to wait for approximately 6 hours for medics to respond to a call as they only had one crew to serve the entire 40,000 odd capacity event. Meanwhile we've got someone sat next to us unable to move (luckily we had chairs). Can't imagine that happening at Glastonbury.