Staying in a B&B

Blurmayer

Hello. I have one odd question.

I am thinking about getting a B&B this year somwhere near the festival

Because i have a bad experience after the last time i stayed in a tent (getting old maybe)

Is it easy to get a shuttle or maybe a taxi to the festival each day.

Thank you

Of course it's posisble, but you will lose huge amounts of time at the festival.   What was your bad experience? Maybe we could think of an alternative solution if we knew what your experience was?  

I have no idea what traffic is like around the festival Friday-Sunday, never actually left the site once I've been on it. What was so bad last time in a tent, if you don't mind me asking? Last year was the muddiest Glastonbury I've been to, and probably the third muddiest festival I've been to overall... I'm silly enough not to be too put off by that though, there'll be good uns to come.

A girl I know one year stayed at the Glastonbury Backpackers (now closed I believe) and used the shuttle bus to go back and forth.  I would feel that would take up far too much valuable time that could be spent better at the festival, but she was happy enough with it.  She did have to leave the headliners before they finished though to start making her way to the bus...

I stayed in a B&B a few times when I came with Mrs bn68. You used to be able to arrange to meet your taxi on site which was a bit of a scrum but ok. When it changed to a shuttle bus to Bath and West Showground and pick up from there it was a real pain in the a. We did manage to get picked up in the lanes but they are not supposed to.

I would imagine all the B&Bs are full by now anyway.

6 hours ago, Brumbot said:

It was my understanding that most of the B&Bs sell out way ahead of time but I could be wrong? Have you found one with availability? 

Yes, That is true. I found a few that are very expensive, But i am checking everyday if someone

cancell. But there is always Airbnb.

3 hours ago, bexj said:

Of course it's posisble, but you will lose huge amounts of time at the festival.   What was your bad experience? Maybe we could think of an alternative solution if we knew what your experience was?  

I did have some sleeping problem last. I only managed to get a 2-3 hours sleep a night.

I've stayed in B&Bs in Glastonbury town for the last few festivals because my wife won't do camping.  Most will be sold out by now, as many are pre-booked by the BBC and other media people, but keep checking as individual rooms sometimes become available as the festival draws near. Rooms are typically about £80 to £100 a night, which adds up but compares well with Worthy View and other glamping options.

There's a shuttle bus between the town centre and the bus station at Gate A that runs every hour (or half hour at busy times) until about 1.30am for £4 each way.  We preferred to book a local minicab to collect us from our accommodation at 9.45am each morning, which cost about £10 - there's an official taxi dropoff place at the festival about 10 minutes' walk from from Gate A and Gate D.  Taxis are more expensive and harder to find later at night and as you can't easily predict what time you'll be leaving, I'd suggest getting the shuttle bus back each evening.

It's certainly nice to have your own bed, a clean bathroom, shower, and a proper cooked breakfast each day, but traipsing in and out with all your stuff for the day is quite wearing, and of course you can't do the late night stuff, so I wouldn't say it's an ideal option.

There's very little traffic around on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday is local day-tripper day so it's much slower getting out on the Sunday night, but of course you'd avoid the normal Sunday/Monday car park hell.

Incidentally, parking is a pain in Glastonbury town centre as it's mostly pay and display (there is on-street parking further away from the town centre, but I'd imagine the locals would get pretty annoyed if this all got taken up by festival goers).

This year my wife isn't going (she's finally hung up her wellies after 6 festivals), so I'm giving Camplight a go.

Edited by doogie

9 hours ago, doogie said:

I've stayed in B&Bs in Glastonbury town for the last few festivals because my wife won't do camping.  Most will be sold out by now, as many are pre-booked by the BBC and other media people, but keep checking as individual rooms sometimes become available as the festival draws near. Rooms are typically about £80 to £100 a night, which adds up but compares well with Worthy View and other glamping options.

There's a shuttle bus between the town centre and the bus station at Gate A that runs every hour (or half hour at busy times) until about 1.30am for £4 each way.  We preferred to book a local minicab to collect us from our accommodation at 9.45am each morning, which cost about £10 - there's an official taxi dropoff place at the festival about 10 minutes' walk from from Gate A and Gate D.  Taxis are more expensive and harder to find later at night and as you can't easily predict what time you'll be leaving, I'd suggest getting the shuttle bus back each evening.

It's certainly nice to have your own bed, a clean bathroom, shower, and a proper cooked breakfast each day, but traipsing in and out with all your stuff for the day is quite wearing, and of course you can't do the late night stuff, so I wouldn't say it's an ideal option.

There's very little traffic around on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday is local day-tripper day so it's much slower getting out on the Sunday night, but of course you'd avoid the normal Sunday/Monday car park hell.

Incidentally, parking is a pain in Glastonbury town centre as it's mostly pay and display (there is on-street parking further away from the town centre, but I'd imagine the locals would get pretty annoyed if this all got taken up by festival goers).

This year my wife isn't going (she's finally hung up her wellies after 6 festivals), so I'm giving Camplight a go.

Great, Thank you so much for your help. 

Ive been checking everyday if someone cancel, But the price is very high over the festival weekend. 

I was also looking at worthy view but it looks like it sold out now.

Try one of the quieter fields if its too noisy , like Darble for example. Camp away from the path, not near a loo.

Get a decent air bed and sleeping bag, earplugs and a silver foil blanket to put over your tent to keep the sun off.  

Walk loads so you're tired, lay off stimulants inc  caffeine,  make yourself or buy a warm chocolate drink before bed.  And relax.  

Just some tips for a good night's sleep.

Or party for 5 days because it's only 5 days of your life with little sleep!! 

I've BnBd a few times. In Evercreech, Shepton Mallet and Stony Stratton (I think that's what it's called). I haven't done it for a while, but I used to stay in a bnb on the Compton side of Shepton Mallet. Back then you could walk through Pilton, so I walked back. That hour at 3 in the morning was a killer but it would sober you up and you'd then have a proper sleep and a shower and take a cab back to the site. Totally refreshed. 

Also you used to be able to get cabs from gate A. Can you not do that anymore? I found that the later you left the site, the happier they were to let you bend the rules. 

Basically - my advice is go north or west. Shepton mallet or evercreech.  Not Glastonbury town. 

On 2017-4-21 at 9:48 AM, Blurmayer said:

I did have some sleeping problem last. I only managed to get a 2-3 hours sleep a night.

So did I, and then got up at 5am to work a litterpicking shift. I don't think many people go to Glastonbury to sleep.

Each to his own, but I think travelling on and offsite every day would be a huge ballache, not to mention a huge expense, when with a spacious tent, a decent air mattress and some good earplugs you could get a reasonable kip on site at night.

4 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

So did I, and then got up at 5am to work a litterpicking shift. I don't think many people go to Glastonbury to sleep.

Each to his own, but I think travelling on and offsite every day would be a huge ballache, not to mention a huge expense, when with a spacious tent, a decent air mattress and some good earplugs you could get a reasonable kip on site at night.

Exactly. I actually have industrial strength ear defenders for my few hours before shift. I would say that if you cant sleep then you havent brought enough comfy stuff and youre camping in the wrong place. And maybe you arent tired enough. 

Keep checking worthy view though. 

Personally I wouldn't stay offsite because you miss so much of the nightlife. It also depends who you are with but I find it easy to make late night friends. Having 2 - 3hrs sleep is slightly short but maybe you should persevere. If you're not used to camping can be all you get until you're more used to it

4 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Exactly. I actually have industrial strength ear defenders for my few hours before shift. I would say that if you cant sleep then you havent brought enough comfy stuff and youre camping in the wrong place. And maybe you arent tired enough. 

Keep checking worthy view though. 

I used to struggle to sleep. I bought a proper inflatable mattress and a Gelert sleeping pod. Add thermal pjs, earplugs and and eye mask and I'm dead to the world. And, due to the fresh air, no hangover on waking!