Steps petition to play with Barry Gibb

lingle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the vocals might be a bit better!

I'm torn about the Gibbmeister. On one hand, he has an enviable setlist of excellent upbeat songs (I believe the modern parlance is 'bangers'), which would surely be fun.

On the other hand, not only is the Bee Gees back catalogue plagued by some pretty awful AOR, all evidence is that his delivery is going to be pretty, damn bad. I mean, helium fuelled, half strangled chipmunk doesn't cover it. His falsetto was always a little ridiculous, but the man managed to pull it off because it sounded so effortless, but now? Every note is painful to listen to. It's like that guy on Britain's Got Talent that the producers were laughing at and exploiting.

Yet...some of those songs are very good indeed.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm torn about the Gibbmeister. On one hand, he has an enviable setlist of excellent upbeat songs (I believe the modern parlance is 'bangers'), which would surely be fun.

On the other hand, not only is the Bee Gees back catalogue plagued by some pretty awful AOR, all evidence is that his delivery is going to be pretty, damn bad. I mean, helium fuelled, half strangled chipmunk doesn't cover it. His falsetto was always a little ridiculous, but the man managed to pull it off because it sounded so effortless, but now? Every note is painful to listen to. It's like that guy on Britain's Got Talent that the producers were laughing at and exploiting.

Not being able to sing very well won't stop the rest of the acts going down a storm so why should it affect the bgibster more than them, some very well loved and lauded superstars can't sing, isn't that just pop music?

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Not being able to sing very well won't stop the rest of the acts going down a storm so why should it affect the bgibster more than them, some very well loved and lauded superstars can't sing, isn't that just pop music?

Because the other pop acts have the decency to use loads of backing singers/backing tapes/autotune to disguise the awful noise coming from the main performer.  Bazza doesn't seem to be doing any of that, which is to be respected, but it doesn't sound very good!

52 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

this is pretty much where I am. Although I am a pretty big fan of the beegees to be fair. 

I just don't know if I want to hear their tracks sung that badly :( as with everything else, its highly dependent on the clashes

Just now, Kay95 said:

this is pretty much where I am. Although I am a pretty big fan of the beegees to be fair. 

I just don't know if I want to hear their tracks sung that badly :( as with everything else, its highly dependent on the clashes

Yeah and the mate drag factor.  I'm never going to be dragged to see someone I hate, but if there's nothing clashing that I really want to see and I'm with people that want to go and see him, I'll probably pop along.

We've had Brian Wilson, James Brown, Shirley Bassey and probably several others in that slot over the years who've been well well past their sell by date.  All* were good fun and I'm sure Barry Gibb will be too.

* apart from Paul Simon.  He was shit.

28 minutes ago, doogie said:

We've had Brian Wilson, James Brown, Shirley Bassey and probably several others in that slot over the years who've been well well past their sell by date.  All* were good fun and I'm sure Barry Gibb will be too.

* apart from Paul Simon.  He was shit.

Brian Wilson's band did most of the singing, thankfully.

Acts that get better with age are in such an extreme minority that they might as well not exist.  You're just gonna have to factor in whatever affection you have for the songs against the possibility that the performer will be showing some signs of wear and tear.

Besides, people have on days and off days.  Case in point is Macca.  You can find any number of video clips with ropey vox and people will tell you that his voice has gone for good, but I saw him a couple of years back and he sang very well, delivering one of the best gigs I've ever seen.  A few years previous to that he wasn't anywhere near so hot.

I saw a video of Barry Gibb on Jools Holland and all the cliches of the legends slot are there

Overweight guitarist? Check
Pick style bass player? Check
Happy smiley backing singers? Check
Percussion section you can't hear? Check
Disinterest keyboard player? Check
General feeling of everyone being really quite pleased with themselves? Check

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because the other pop acts have the decency to use loads of backing singers/backing tapes/autotune to disguise the awful noise coming from the main performer.  Bazza doesn't seem to be doing any of that, which is to be respected, but it doesn't sound very good!

Ian Brown only has Reni backing him up. The Roses have proved that if you play all your bangers, it does not matter if the singer can't sing.

Play the bangers, let everyone else sing.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Like a castle made of cucumber, some acts will just wither until they're completely uninhabitable.

When it comes to the crunch it's best to enjoy the salad days while they last.

Don't pull up the drawbridge, but let your guard down - and make sure you keep well fortified.

er.. Happy 4/20?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Will he? In falsetto?

I would grab my town halls and try to reach them high notes, to help him along. Yet after the Cabbage scandal of last night I would not want anyone getting the wrong impressions.

Looks like Gibbo is on his own.

Edited by eastynh